Kindle Forum banner

What's the One Genre You Won't Read?

19K views 116 replies 95 participants last post by  ShadowScribe 
#1 ·
What's the one genre you won't read?

For whatever reason, you won't do it. You refuse. No matter how discounted, convenient, or free it is, you won't pick it up. What is that genre for you?

For me, it's romance. Just no interest in it.

#5 ·
Christian literature, from romances to post-apocalyptic stuff like the Left Behind series.  Only exception: things like analyses of the lost books of the Bible, which I find mildly interesting and might read in an airport if I was trapped there by delayed flights.

#10 ·
Dang, I can't go with just a genre.. there's always something there that's good even if it's not a favorite...

I would have to say autobiographies.. (is that a genre?  ??? ) and I love WW2 stuff specially around the holocaust.. so those ab's are ok... I don't do a lot of science fiction.

<<Sits down and crosses arms...  :p  I'll think about it!

Oh, oh I got it, COMEDIES, spoofs, something making fun of other genres or books... can't stand them! (I have no sense of humor!) is that a genre? lol

#12 ·
Pure erotica/any cover with a half naked man on the front. Even though I wrote two slightly erotic short stories (One horror: The Nameless One) many years ago in 1993 for a Zebra anthology and another sexy romantic short story (Forever and Always) for the money and for a small publisher; once I republished them years later I toned them down a lot and haven't written anything else since except clean fiction. Even my horror novels are traditional and pretty mild. I don't like too much gore either.

#13 ·
Romance.
Christian lit
Urban fantasy / vampires and their ilk

I'll read pretty much anything else. To be fair, I've read in the above three, but found them so vapid I don't plan a return. There are so many great books out there (I have a list), I don't have time for the others.

#14 ·
I read pretty much any genre within YA so I can add the books to my classroom library. My female students read more than the males (much more actually) so I'm always being asked to add more YA romance to my library. It's not terrible, but as a male, I would prefer more mysteries and sci-fi.

#17 ·
Skip Knox said:
Romance.
Christian lit
Urban fantasy / vampires and their ilk

I'll read pretty much anything else. To be fair, I've read in the above three, but found them so vapid I don't plan a return. There are so many great books out there (I have a list), I don't have time for the others.
Thanks. Forgot vampires, were-anything, shape-shifters. I've read them. That's how I know I don't want to read them again.

#18 ·
I avoid most horror -- especially zombies.

I have no interest in distopian fiction.

Religious fiction I've read has put me off it entirely -- my experience is there's too much preaching and not enough story.

Most YA I find too angst-y and eye rolling.

Romance is not 'right out', but I read less of it. I enjoy it if it features some sort of mystery or adventure; if it features undead beings or other human/non-human relationships it IS Right Out.

#21 ·
1. Christian
2. any other religious themes, including UF with angels
3. horror, although book 1 in my sig was classified as horror by Amazon when it was first released
4. YA, especially angsty romances
5. anything with sparkly vampires or is fan fic or copied from anything with sparkly vampires

#23 ·
Political thrillers.  I've read a few, but I just don't care for them.  Now I avoid them like the plague.
Shifter Romance, just not my thing, though it appeals to a lot of readers.
I'm a little weary of vampires and werewolves, though I'd still give it a shot if a book looked like it had a new take on it.

#26 ·
For me it's literary fiction, and also contemporary or general fiction. I crave new experiences and concepts when reading for pleasure, so I don't bother with anything too much like normal life.

This thread is fascinating, because a lot of the genres mentioned already are huge sellers with significant audiences, romance and man-chest covers being amongst the most read books. It teaches us something: writing that appeals to a lot of people is also bound to repel quite a few others. Now, if we could figure out the overlaps between genre preferences and dislikes, that would be gold.