Author Topic: Questions on skins and protective films  (Read 749 times)  

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
Questions on skins and protective films
« on: October 23, 2017, 09:16:34 PM »
Couple accessory newbie questions... I'm going to have to cave and get a new Kindle soon, as my old DX is dying. Rest in peace, old friend.

I definitely need a cover -- my Kindle gets dropped quite a bit and needs all the protection it can get that way. Leaning toward leather if it matters -- I like the texture and it's less slippery.

1. Protective films on the screen... necessary? Unnecessary? I didn't use one on my DX and it's fine. I just clean it occasionally when Sticky Fingers McGee touches it.

2. Skins. Do they go on top of covers or on the Kindle itself? Wouldn't they get hidden by a cover? Do they actually provide any additional protection?

Thanks!

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Questions on skins and protective films
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 05:09:42 AM »
I've never seen the need for a screen protector. They won't really keep it clean, just protect it from nicks if something hard/sharp lands on the screen. And, as you note, cleaning the screen really isn't that hard. Further, one more layer may make the text less sharp for reading.

Skins generally go on the kindle itself. So, yes, if you keep in in a cover, you'd really only see it when you opened it. And you likely wouldn't see anything you applied to the back hardly ever. I've always felt they're primarily cosmetic/aesthetic and not really providing much protection except against the most minor sort of scuffs.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline kdiem

• View Profile
Re: Questions on skins and protective films
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 07:07:54 PM »
Thanks, Ann!

Author. Bibliophile. Fangirl.
Karen Diem | website | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Goodreads