Author Topic: Got a white basic Kindle on Prime Day and it is surprisingly nice.  (Read 1585 times)  

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
With the sale and some other promo's, I went and got the basic kindle in white. I figured it would make a good daytime balcony reader. I didn't really expect much. Wow that thing is nice. Even though it has no light, the contrast is fantastic. Like the older kindles used to have before the light layers and touch layers. This one I think works with side thingies to register the touch, rather than a layer on top. So you can touch it with anything basically. But it also means there are no additional layers on the screen and they are pure as the older kindles, while still having touch for navigation.
If they had put even just wee buttons on the bezel, or side, this thing would be fantastic. I still have the older basic also that has the buttons, but it of course has none of this software and I can't sync collections on it.

Its so light and small I can even hold it in one hand from behind and I have small hands.

I am also really liking the white. First white kindle I had since the very first one. Made me all nostalgic.

And the fonts are much darker naturally than any of the lighted devices. Not so much an issue anymore with the bold function, but it also has lower resolution and for me that is actually a good thing. Makes the fonts "fatter" and less thin. Just like the older kindles. I think this will be my daytime readers and I'll use the Oasis2 in bed.

There is something about the simplicity of it. I named it "book" for now.  ;D

What my goal is with it is not putting a bunch of stuff on it. I have it set to basically only show books and downloaded. And I am sending only the next reads on it, like max of 20. Cause I already did all the sorting on my Oasis.

Oh, and it solved the issue I have been having with all the high resolution kindles. Font size. I seem to be always either too large or to small. With this one just like my older kindles, #3 is perfect. Again, I think its because of the lower resolution. All other kindles I have to use #4 and sometimes its too big, depending on the font. But #3 is way to small on them. Its just so comfortable to my eyes. I am going back to old school no light.  :-X

Its adorb.  8)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 01:32:29 pm by Atunah »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline MLPMom

• View Profile
      • My Guilty Obsession Book Reviews
    I think that is awesome! I still have my old K2 and my oldest loves it. She prefers it over any of the others and says there is just something satisfying about reading on it. Sometimes going back to the basics is just what we need.
    The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.-Jane Austen
    I also have a book blog where I review a new Indie Author every week. http://myguiltyobsession.blogspot.com/

Offline HLS

• MO
      • View Profile
    Re: Got a white basic Kindle on Prime Day and it is surprisingly nice.
    « Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 05:52:04 pm »
    I returned my basic and got a white paperwhite  i could not stand the lack of light

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 01:37:43 pm »
    I have a white basic and it is a sweet device. You cannot have too many Kindles.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 01:56:41 pm »
    I have a white basic and it is a sweet device. You cannot have too many Kindles.
    Yeah, nobody is every gonna accuse me of not having enough kindles.  :P

Offline HLS

• MO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 03:53:06 pm »

I have a paperwhite, oasis 2, Kindle Fire 7", 8", 10"

Offline isamilis

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 03:29:51 am »
    I have white PW3 and yes it's better than the black one. This one reason keep me from buying PW4 (which still has no white version).

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 08:06:40 am »
    I once saw a cartoon that showed a woman pulling her Kindle from her bookcase where it was sitting with a lot of other Kindles.  I decided that was a good idea and I started putting my Kindles on a shelf.  I need a larger shelf. :)

Barry

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 07, 2019, 09:28:47 am »
    I read on my Kindle app for years.  Son finally convinced me to go Kindle.  So now in my house is one Paperwhite (my wife's), one Voyage (mine but my wife is reading my books on it ), 3 Gen 1 Oasis and one Gen 2 Oasis. One Gen 1 was loaned out for a couple years. 
    Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline barryem

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 10:22:34 am »
    I have a 1st gen Paperwhite, 2 3rd gen Paperwhites, 3 4th gen Paperwhites and a Voyage.

I also have 3 Kobos and 2 Nooks.  I've been debating whether to get a Kobo Clara HD but I haven't decided yet.

Barry

KBoards.com

• Advertisement