Author Topic: I fix websites (and I build them, too)  (Read 6717 times)  

Offline Evenstar

• Here. Hare. Here.
    • View Profile
Re: I fix websites (and I build them, too)
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 11:18:51 am »
It depends on the pop-up box.

If it's for a mailing list, you can create the form on, say, Mailchimp. Build it as a pop-up, and then copy the code so you can embed it in the header of your Weebly site.

What are you doing with it?

Ah, thanks. I was looking for a way to build it on the site. Okay, I'll go and see what I can learn in mailchimp. Thanks Nate  :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
      • View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 01:59:56 pm »
    Ah, thanks. I was looking for a way to build it on the site. Okay, I'll go and see what I can learn in mailchimp. Thanks Nate  :)
    Glad I could help!

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 12:29:43 pm »
    I have a special offer for KBoards members. I recently picked up a volume license for the MalCare website security plugin for WP sites on sale really cheap, and I am passing them along at cost (plus the Paypal fee).

I have 4 lifetime licenses for MalCare available for $11 each. This includes a firewall, malware scanner, and malware removal. Here are some reviews to help you make up your mind:
    https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=malcare%20review

This is a good deal, and here's the catch. You can install the plugin but you cannot manage it. I have to manage from my account on the MalCare website. That is not ideal, but for $11 I think we can live with it.

At the very least it is better than the competition. Godaddy, for example, charges you $5 a month for basically the same service - and they will try to con you into paying for security even if you don't need it. This is a one-time cost, and if it doesn't work out for you, yes, I will refund your money.

If you would like one of the license, please send me a DM.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 07:31:19 am »
    Hi all,

It's been a busy month since I last updated this topic. I've learned a few lessons from getting my first flyers printed, and found a nifty way to automate my social media posts.

Oh, and here's something new: I'm going to start holding an AMA (ask me anything) here in KBoards on Thursday. It's going to be a kind of clinic where I answer tech questions about websites and related topics, so if you have a problem please let me know.

But that's not the important news today.

I am starting a website concierge service where, for a flat monthly fee, I maintain and update your website, and advise on tech products that you want to use. This is mainly for Wordpress sites, but I can help with other platforms. My support plan includes regularly scheduled backups, updates, and security checks., and I will also host your site on my server if you like.

The service will cost $50 a month when it launches. If you would like to join the beta test, please send me a DM.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 11:05:35 am »
    Want to see something cool?

Over the weekend I taught myself how to make links that, when clicked, open a share box on Twitter or Facebook.

Here's one example. Go on, click it.

BTW, when I wrote last week that I'd hold an AMA or clinic on Thursday, I meant every Thursday. Today I will be hanging out on KBoards  until 4 pm eastern (for the next couple hours). If you have a question about websites, I am here.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 06:39:57 pm »
    I was so busy today with helping clients with last minute GDPR compliance that I forgot to show up today. (I finished my compliance over the weekend; how about you?)

I come bearing gifts: a comprehensive list of apps you can use for market research and to track your sales. (This list is the most complete one online.)

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 08:04:05 am »
    It was a busy week for me, folks, and I wasn't able to make it here on Thursday.

As always, I am here with helpful info if you have a question. In the meantime, I recently published a post with useful marketing ideas you can try in your spare time.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 02:10:51 pm »
    *gasps* *crawls closer*  *wheeze* I don't know about you, but I didn't think I would survive this week. 

A tip: WP security plugins might have their settings reset when updated, which is why you should check them regularly. (I found this out when someone tried to hack my site on Wednesday.)

As always, I am here to help if you have a question. In the meantime, I recently published a post that lists tools you can use for market research and for generating sales reports.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 07:21:02 am »
    Happy Thursday everyone!

A tip: If you share something on your FB author page, and someone likes it, you can invite that person to like your page. This is a neat trick, but I'm not sure you should use it because I have been told FB will use the invite as an excuse to start showing your page updates to that person until they choose to opt out.

It's been a fun week for me; I've just moved one of my mailing lists from MailChimp to MailerLite. The latter costs less, and has better automation (it's past time I adding a welcome email, and the MailChimp option just didn't look very good). BTW,  I recently wrote a post on essential mailing list tools; one of the tools I think we should be using is a welcome email (it helps establish a connection with subscribers).

Have a good weekend!

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #34 on: June 21, 2018, 08:03:13 am »
    Good morning!

I had a tech tip all ready to share this morning, but that went out the window when I heard an important rumor.

I'm told Amazon is going to merge Createspace into KDP Print, the POD service Amazon launched a couple years ago. I am still trying to confirm the rumor, but have you heard anything?

If you have reliable info, I'm dying to hear it, but either way, have a good weekend!

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #35 on: June 30, 2018, 02:56:35 pm »
    Happy Saturday, everyone!

The important news this week includes:
    • The US Supreme Court ruled that all online sellers will have to collect state sales tax
    • Author accounts are still getting hacked on Createspace (and according to one report, also KDP)
    • Amazon has banned a bunch of book stuffers from KDP

Tech Tip: Have you heard about Macincloud? This is a service where you can lease a "virtual" Mac online. Authors can use it for things like uploading ebooks to their iBooks accounts.

I am, as always, here if you have a question.

P.S.  These are the kinds of things I cover in my newsletter.  You can sign up for it here.

Never mind ;D.  --Betsy

« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:41:56 am by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #36 on: July 11, 2018, 07:25:44 am »
    Happy Wednesday, everyone.

It's been a busy couple weeks building sites and learning new things. For example, I just found out that you can lease a Mac online. This is a good way for authors to gain direct access to iBooks without investing in a second computer by buying a Mac. (I love finding new tools like that, don't you?)

I don't want to bore you with too much talking about myself, so let me simply add that I am always here to answer tech questions, whether they are website related or not.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #37 on: July 19, 2018, 08:59:26 am »
    I read the most interesting tech support question yesterday.

An author wanted to know how to get notes out of the Kindle iPad app. This is something I know well, which is why I could tell the author that the Kindle iPad app collects your notes and highlights in a "Notebook". There's one notebook for each ebook in the app, and you can send that notebook to someone as an email attachment.

The author needed this info in order to get their beta reader's feedback, and I thought authors here might want to know this trick as well.

As always, i am here if you have a tech question.  You can also find me in my new FB group, The Help Desk.
    « Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 09:10:40 am by Nate Hoffelder »

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #38 on: July 27, 2018, 10:51:19 am »
    It has been an eventful week at chez Digital Reader, and I have important news to share.

First, I had to find out the hard way that Amazon automatically reconnected my Goodreads account to my Kindle account when I set up a new Fire tablet. This inspired me to publish a post about enhancing the  security and privacy of your Amazon account.

But as frustrating as that was, it's not the big news today.

I am in the late stages of setting up a website concierge and hosting service, and I am looking for authors who would be willing to help me work out the bugs.

• Bronze - $100 per year for hosting and basic maintenance (theme, security, and plugin updates)
    • Silver - $25 per month for hosting and up to two (2) requests for tech support, changes, and new features
    • Gold - My ultimate support plan - $50 per month for hosting, tech support, and unlimited changes, new features, and updates

If anyone wants to find our more about the concierge services, or wants to sign up for the beta test, send me a PM or leave a commen. I will get in touch.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #39 on: September 12, 2018, 05:33:41 am »
    Hi all,

I'm so busy working with authors that I haven't had a chance to get back here in the past month. (For example, I just finished updating a client's site to HTTPS: www.remingtonkane.com.)

If you would like some free advice, here's a tech tip that was inspired by a common oversight.

Stellar content can make or break your blog or podcast, but people have to find your site first, which is where SEO plugins like Yoast come in. Not only can you use it to set keywords for Google, you can also make subtle tweaks that will make your links more appealing on social media and in search results.

Here's a guide to setting up Yoast: https://the-digital-reader.com/2017/10/02/save-169-setting-yoast-seo-plugin-author-website/

While you are at it, make sure you take the time to set up an account in Google Search Console for your site, and add the sitemap. Google can no longer be trusted to find your content simply because it's on your site. Seriously, I just found out that one of my sites had vanished from Google because apparently the sitemap stopped working.

Have a good week, and please do think of me if you have a question about your site!
    « Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 05:40:27 am by Nate Hoffelder »

Offline My_Txxxx_a$$_Left_Too

• If you got here via Google...LEAVE! Data not safe!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: September 12, 2018, 05:47:40 am »
    Content removed due to TOS Change of 2018. I do not agree to the terms.
    « Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 02:53:10 am by WasAnn »
    I've been told that my signature is too long, so here is the BLUF. Don't click anything if you got here via Google. Your data is now theirs.

No, I do not agree to the TOS. I didn't sign up under it and don't agree. Further, you don't own any of my stuff. Period. I'm overwriting and deleting it all, and I highly recommend you who are reading this do the same. Focus on that which gives good Google-Fu.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #41 on: September 12, 2018, 06:35:03 am »
    Following with interest. I'm to the point where I need my site re-designed to update modern sensibilities (oh, how quickly tastes change!). When you re-do a site that's already set up, do you do it so it's easy to add books, or adjust small things like newsletter popup image, etc? My biggest issue with my current site is that it's easy to mess it up doing very small things.

I try to make it easy to do future updates and changes, yes, but sometimes the site's theme gets in the way.

One thing I like to do is use the MailMunch plugin for sign up forms. This plugin can tie into just about any newsletter service. When it comes to books, I like to use a bookshelf plugin like Novelist. These plugins have you fill out a form with the book's details, and then automatically displays that info as a book page, series page, shelf page, etc.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #42 on: September 20, 2018, 08:17:05 am »
    Good morning, all. This morning I am putting the finishing touches on www.JerriWilliams.com It has a custom home page, second blog section, and other subtle improvements.

Soon I'll have time to work on your author site; what would you like me to do?

First impressions count. Stellar content can make or break your blog, but if your site lacks basic branding like a logo then chances are your visitors won't stay around long enough to be impressed by your brilliantly written posts. Even simple logo and blog graphics that you made in a few minutes in Canva can mean the difference between your site looking like it belongs to a professional rather than a hobbyist.

Do you know what also helps your blog look more professional? Filling out the details on your user account such as your bio and your social media accounts.

Many website themes will use those details to automatically display an about the author section after your blog posts. That  blurb is a great opportunity for you to introduce yourself to first-time readers by telling them more about the person behind the keyboard, and it would be a shame to pass that up.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #43 on: September 20, 2018, 01:57:47 pm »
    Nate - I know a lot of us might like to keep a thread with you in it for future reference. You might want to take a look at where those in kb are migrating to now that it's imploding. Also, please note the new TOS and be careful what you post, since they have blanket ownership over what's posted and derivative works created with it. Just a head's up. You do good work.
    I saw the new terms. I'm not worried - it's just the usual boilerplate.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #44 on: June 25, 2019, 02:38:08 pm »
    Want to see something cool?

I just started a new project called "Author Website in a Box". It's still in beta, but I think it's ready for feedback.
    https://the-digital-reader.com/2019/06/22/introducing-author-website-in-a-box-beta/

I don't know that I explained it very well in my post, so let me see if I can explain it better this time around.

There are services like Weebly which charge you a monthly fee to build your site with their tools. Then there are developers who will sell you a WP theme and leave you to figure out how ti install it and set it up.

Author Website in a Box is neither of these. Instead, AWinaB is a complete Wordpress website bundled into a single file that you can download and install. It comes with the plugins you need, dummy content you can replace with your own, and a home page that you can rearrange or edit to suit yourself.

you can see it here: http://dummy.authorwebsiteinabox.com

AWinaB is a free download, and it will always be a free download. But if you need help installing it, hosting it, or modifying it, my services are available.

Offline kswalker

• San Jose, CA
      • View Profile
      • Worlds of Magic and Adventure
    « Reply #45 on: June 25, 2019, 04:17:00 pm »
    I've been building websites as a hobby for years, but there's always something new to learn as the tech keeps changing. Just by skimming your site, I found a solution to a problem I was wrestling with yesterday. So thanks for the free advice!

Kristen S. Walker | Writing blog | Newsletter

Offline boxer44

• USA
      • View Profile
      • WordWizard
    « Reply #46 on: June 25, 2019, 06:58:49 pm »
    Nate:   Sent you an email to your gmail account, if you still have it??   B

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #47 on: June 25, 2019, 07:13:48 pm »
    Nate:   Sent you an email to your gmail account, if you still have it??   B
    I got it

Offline Riven

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: June 27, 2019, 07:08:07 am »
    Hi Nate, I really like your 'author website in a box' concept. I need to create a website for a new pen name and I've been putting it off, but your dummy author website has all the features I'd want and it looks like far less hassle than starting from scratch with my own Wordpress site once again.

When I was reading through your blog post, one line from your caveats caught my attention so I thought I'd ask about it:

(I also gave myself an admin account, but that is intended strictly for emergencies.)

Does the above mean that you have administrative access to any website created using your 'website in a box'? I can understand why you'd set it up that way considering you're in the business of creating and maintaining author websites. And I'd also guess that you don't necessarily know a particular website was created using your 'website in a box' unless someone specifically points you toward it?

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #49 on: June 27, 2019, 07:51:31 am »
    Does the above mean that you have administrative access to any website created using your 'website in a box'? I can understand why you'd set it up that way considering you're in the business of creating and maintaining author websites. And I'd also guess that you don't necessarily know a particular website was created using your 'website in a box' unless someone specifically points you toward it?

Theoretically, I do have admin access, yes. 

I need to rephrase that section, because what I did was simply leave in the account I use to build and update the original site.  It's there because I needed it for building the site, and I call it out so people will know they can delete that account once they take over.

And no, I don't know that a site is using AWinaBox until someone tells me, or I come across it accidentally.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement