Author Topic: I fix websites (and I build them, too)  (Read 6721 times)  

Offline Riven

• View Profile
Re: I fix websites (and I build them, too)
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2019, 12:03:17 pm »
Theoretically, I do have admin access, yes. 

I need to rephrase that section, because what I did was simply leave in the account I use to build and update the original site.  It's there because I needed it for building the site, and I call it out so people will know they can delete that account once they take over.

And no, I don't know that a site is using AWinaBox until someone tells me, or I come across it accidentally.

Thanks for clarifying! I'm looking forward to trying it out.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
      • View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #51 on: July 05, 2019, 10:13:07 am »
    Here's a problem that literally only started happening yesterday, so I'm not sure if all the affected parties are even aware of it yet.

If you know someone with a WP site on Hostgator, and the site is down right now with the following error message, I know how to fix it.

Fatal error: Arrays are not allowed in class constants in .../wp-content/plugins/jetpack/vendor/automattic/jetpack-sync/src/Modules.php on line 31

I have seen this twice now, and it turns out the problem is that the site is running on an old version of PHP. My friend's site was running on PHP 5.4, and once I updated to PHP 7.0 everything was fine.

If you know an author with this issue, please do share this solution with them.
    « Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 10:19:42 am by Nate Hoffelder »

Offline kswalker

• San Jose, CA
      • View Profile
      • Worlds of Magic and Adventure
    « Reply #52 on: July 05, 2019, 05:57:55 pm »
    WordPress stopped supporting PHP 5.4 in about 2017. Regardless of your host or if you have experienced issues yet, you should probably upgrade to 7.0 at least. (They support up through 7.2 right now, just updated mine a week ago.)

Kristen S. Walker | Writing blog | Newsletter

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #53 on: July 05, 2019, 06:03:36 pm »
    WordPress stopped supporting PHP 5.4 in about 2017. Regardless of your host or if you have experienced issues yet, you should probably upgrade to 7.0 at least. (They support up through 7.2 right now, just updated mine a week ago.)

I was very surprised top see that someone was running a server on 5.4. And yes, everyone really should upgrade to at least 7.0.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #54 on: July 18, 2019, 08:27:59 am »
    Are you using the Pretty Links redirection plugin on your site?  If so, you should go update it now.

The 3.0.0 release on Tuesday introduced problems that crashed sites. Wednesday's 3.0.1 release fixed this issue.

BTW, if you are wondering why you should use a redirection plugin, yesterday I wrote a post expounding on the value of plugins like Pretty Links.
    https://the-digital-reader.com/2019/07/17/why-to-use-a-link-shortener-redirection-plugin-on-your-website/

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #55 on: August 12, 2019, 04:37:46 am »
    The big news for me this week: I've started posting instructional videos for my Author Website in a Box project that show how to do things like change the menu or create a blog post.

http://authorwebsiteinabox.com

Author Website in a Box is my solution to the problem of setting up an author website. It is a self-contained author website that can be installed with a single click, and comes with a pre-built home page, bookshelf pages and all the other parts you need.

Here's the demo version of the site:
    http://dummy.authorwebsiteinabox.com

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #56 on: August 21, 2019, 04:41:59 pm »
    Tech tip: When you are troubleshooting and have eliminated all the possible causes of a problem, start eliminating the impossible causes.

I just found a bug in a post on a WP site that was caused by the user account that authored the post. Seriously, changing the author made the bug go away.

Yes,  you would think that is impossible. It still happened.

Offline Silly Writer

• View Profile
    « Reply #57 on: August 21, 2019, 07:17:50 pm »
    I hired Nate to fix some bugs in my website, and upload new covers, change some things around. He finished SUPER quick, did a great job, and great to work with. I told some fellow writers about him and more than one gave him a try with the same results.

Highly recommend... I'm paying him for his monthly concierge (?) package. It works out great for me, as when I need someone, I need them quick--and I need someone I can trust. There may be months I need nothing at all, but it all comes out in the wash for the months I do and only pay the same low monthly fee. I'm really happy with it.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #58 on: August 26, 2019, 06:40:51 pm »
    I hired Nate to fix some bugs in my website, and upload new covers, change some things around. He finished SUPER quick, did a great job, and great to work with. I told some fellow writers about him and more than one gave him a try with the same results.

Highly recommend... I'm paying him for his monthly concierge (?) package. It works out great for me, as when I need someone, I need them quick--and I need someone I can trust. There may be months I need nothing at all, but it all comes out in the wash for the months I do and only pay the same low monthly fee. I'm really happy with it.
    Awwww, thanks!

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #59 on: September 01, 2019, 03:51:53 am »
    Want to see something cool?

A few months back I started guest blogging over on The Book Designer on the topic of author websites. I'm now up to 4 posts in the series:
    https://thebookdesigner.com/author/natehoffelder/

My long term plan is to turn this into a book.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #60 on: September 30, 2019, 01:24:13 pm »
    The fifth post in the series on newsletters was published over at The Book Designer last week (see my last post).

I've been so busy that I had forgotten to show up here; nevertheless, I do have a useful tech tip for you:

If your website is telling you to update PHP but provides no details on how to do that, here's a trick I learned. Google "PHP update" + your hosting company's name, and you will usually find instructions on how to do the update, and a link to the relevant settings menu where you can do the update.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #61 on: November 10, 2019, 05:31:39 pm »
    Here's a tip for those in the midst of NaNoWriMo: If you set up an automated cloud backup, you don't have to worry about losing files.

Here's how I set up the backup for my working files:
    https://natehoffelder.com/blog/how-to-create-a-live-backup-of-your-working-files-using-google-drive/

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #62 on: January 10, 2020, 03:11:47 pm »
    My latest side project is an event calendar site that covers the DC region. I built it the AWinaBox project as a base:
    https://novawritingevents.com/

I had already been maintaining a calendar for a local writing club, but I decided to spin this out as a stand alone site after I saw a similar site that covered the Richmond VA region.

BTW, if anyone want to use this site as a template for a site covering author events near you, I do have a template you can download.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #63 on: February 19, 2020, 10:08:32 am »
    Are you going to a writing conference in the coming months? I am; in fact, I am speaking at the Maryland Writer's Conference, and I will exhibit at the WIRO Books conference in May.

How about you?

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #64 on: August 08, 2020, 02:14:48 pm »
    Are you going to a writing conference in the coming months? I am; in fact, I am speaking at the Maryland Writer's Conference, and I will exhibit at the WIRO Books conference in May.

How about you?

hahahahaha

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #65 on: August 08, 2020, 02:17:39 pm »
    Here's a piece of tech advice I had to learn the hard way.

Always delete inactive or unused plugins. They may be disabled, but they can still slow down or crash your website. No, seriously, this tip was inspired by the time I had t fix a website after a caching plugin - which had been disabled - decided to start caching the site again while it was still disabled. This conflicted with a couple other plugins, and crashed the site.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #66 on: August 22, 2020, 03:10:24 pm »
    #Tech Tip

Do you miss writing at a coffee shop? I have a solution!

Coffitivity is a web and iOS app that replicates the ambient background noise of coffee shops. It is intended to boost your creativity, and help you work better.
    https://coffitivity.com/

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #67 on: August 29, 2020, 02:18:08 pm »
    #Tech Tip

Boook.link is a service that will find all the places on the web where your book can be found. Just enter your book's ISBN, and they will crawl all the major retail websites (including print, audiobook, and ebook) as well as WorldCat, GoodReads publisher sites, and more.

Offline Sandy J Hartwick

• Southern Idaho
    • Everyone is weird; some are weirder than others.
      • View Profile
      • sandyjhartwick.com
    « Reply #68 on: August 31, 2020, 09:58:59 am »
    Hi Nate,

I am interested in your help. Please contact me. You should already have my email, as I am subscribed to your newsletter. My site is sandyjhartwick.com

Thank you!

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #69 on: September 05, 2020, 02:49:46 pm »
    #Tech Tip

Did you know that you want to share a newsletters by first clicking on the "View in browser" link in the top right corner, and then sharing that page? (This works with most  newsletters.)

Offline Heather Boyd

• View Profile
    « Reply #70 on: September 06, 2020, 04:41:27 am »
    .... I do have a useful tech tip for you:

If your website is telling you to update PHP but provides no details on how to do that, here's a trick I learned. Google "PHP update" + your hosting company's name, and you will usually find instructions on how to do the update, and a link to the relevant settings menu where you can do the update.

You are an absolute legend for sharing this tip. I haven't known what to do about this for quite a while. Problem solved now. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

Regency Romance Can Never Be Too Hot!
    Heather Boyd | www.heather-boyd.com | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Bookbub

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #71 on: September 06, 2020, 05:16:26 am »
    You are an absolute legend for sharing this tip. I haven't known what to do about this for quite a while. Problem solved now. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

You're very welcome!

Edited to remove additional self-promo. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca
    « Last Edit: September 19, 2020, 04:12:42 pm by Becca Mills »

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #72 on: September 12, 2020, 05:02:47 am »
    #Tech tip

Did you know you can turn the webcam in your laptop into a document camera?
    https://www.mccormick.northwestern.edu/news/articles/2020/08/back-to-school-hack-shares-students-handwritten-work-and-teacher-response-in-real-time.html

What's really cool is that a makeup compact works just as well.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #73 on: September 19, 2020, 02:49:07 pm »
    #Tip

Are you by any chance looking for more things to do online? Sarah Nicholas has a weekly newsletter where she shares online events for readers and authors.

I read it every week, and I think you should to:
    https://sarahnicolas.substack.com/

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #74 on: September 26, 2020, 01:52:53 am »
    #Tech Tip

If there's one thing I have learned while doing tech support, it's that hosting companies never post complete instructions. So if you followed their instructions and still can't make something work, it honestly might be them, not you.

Here's how to develop the right mindset to identify the missing part of the instructions:
    https://natehoffelder.com/blog/never-tell-everything/

KBoards.com

• Advertisement