Author Topic: Pronoun announce they are shutting down! [MERGED]  (Read 18177 times)  

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
Re: Pronoun announce they are shutting down! [MERGED]
« Reply #200 on: November 08, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »
AMAZON CALLED ALL IS FIXED!

If you are with Pronoun, email them so they can send an email to Amazon stating your ISBNS and Titles and that you never conferred rights. Also, apparently the emails I sent from my domain, pointing out the tax record etc. would have been enough.

Still not changing that I will keep preparing for storms from any vendor.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
  • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
    • View Profile
    • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
« Reply #201 on: November 08, 2017, 02:33:46 PM »
Elizabeth, so glad all is fixed!

I see that Pronoun updated their page with details about payment for preorders, which is great.

My price changes just came through, too, whew!

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2017, 02:47:05 PM »
I mentioned the frustration we are feeling about how a price change can cause a copyright issue and was told "we can request proof of copyright at any time it says so in our terms and conditions"

So. If you have not been hit.... Don't wait. Read those emails we are getting and make SURE you have some way to satisfy Amazon on every pen name you are publishing.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #203 on: November 08, 2017, 03:41:51 PM »
For those who used Pronoun for Google Play, I highly recommend contacting Google Books and telling them the situation.

I contacted them yesterday morning, received an email slightly less than 24 hours later with a link to fill out the Interest Form.

So, I filled out the form this morning with the hope that I'd get put on their "waiting list" and then get an invitation in a few months.

Well I just got the invitation, less than 12 hours after filling out the form!

It may be a little extra work to get an account there, but it's clearly worth it to try.  ;)
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 24%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 60%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline John Anthony

• Minnesota
  • Aging Gen Xer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 08, 2017, 03:44:20 PM »
For those who used Pronoun for Google Play, I highly recommend contacting Google Books and telling them the situation.

I contacted them yesterday morning, received an email slightly less than 24 hours later with a link to fill out the Interest Form.

So, I filled out the form this morning with the hope that I'd get put on their "waiting list" and then get an invitation in a few months.

It may be a little extra work to get an account there, but it's clearly worth it to try.  ;)

I second this advice. This happened to me, as well. I just finished setting up my Google Play Books Partner account.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:48:05 PM by JohnAnthony »

Offline juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 08, 2017, 04:46:40 PM »
I second this advice. This happened to me, as well. I just finished setting up my Google Play Books Partner account.

This sounds great, but what about Google Play changing book prices however they see fit? Wouldn't it be better to go with PublishDrive where they make sure the price you set stays the same? Can someone please explain?

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • Parker Avrile's Steamy Gay ROmance
« Reply #206 on: November 08, 2017, 04:48:23 PM »
I've had a response from Google Play which appears to indicate they have not been informed of Pronoun closing down.

I've sent them a copy of the email.

But from the tone of the reply, I dont think they care if thousands of books vanish from their store in Jan.

They know Pronoun has shut down. They sent me an invite to go direct the same day. I'm betting they sent out plenty of invites.
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Offline John Anthony

• Minnesota
  • Aging Gen Xer
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 08, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »
This sounds great, but what about Google Play changing book prices however they see fit? Wouldn't it be better to go with PublishDrive where they make sure the price you set stays the same? Can someone please explain?

I was directed to this post (credit to OP: TK aka BB), which gives a chart of data telling you how to price your book so the price comes out correct. It takes into account that Google will discount it. May work, may not, but I'd rather be direct with as many retailers as I can, so it's worth giving it a try. At least for me. I don't sell thousands of books, so I have some flexibility to play around with some different options.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:29:22 PM by JohnAnthony »

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2017, 06:10:10 PM »
I was directed to this post (credit to OP: TK aka BB), which gives a chart of data telling you how to price your book so the price comes out correct. It takes into account that Google will discount it. May work, may not, but I'd rather be direct with as many retailers as I can, so it's worth giving it a try. At least for me. I don't sell thousands of books, so I have some flexibility to play around with some different options.

I'm direct with Google Play, and so far I've had no issue pricing my books following this.

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
    • Born to Write
« Reply #209 on: November 08, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »

I'll be using this chart as well. Honestly, going direct where I can is the best bet for me. I'm way too paranoid about distributors going poof (like Pronoun is). The only bigger ones I'll be using distribution for are iTunes and Overdrive, as well as a bunch of small places through Smashwords (glad I never switched my Smashwords stuff over to Pronoun!).
Thorns Entwine the Blade - Trinity Torn Book 2 (Revisions): 24%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 60%
Dark Fantasy Writer
Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline John Anthony

• Minnesota
  • Aging Gen Xer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2017, 06:43:39 PM »
I'm direct with Google Play, and so far I've had no issue pricing my books following this.
That's great to hear. And encouraging. Thanks for sharing that info, Gene.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #211 on: November 08, 2017, 07:38:24 PM »
They know Pronoun has shut down. They sent me an invite to go direct the same day. I'm betting they sent out plenty of invites.

I contacted them the other day, and must have been among the first of many. My inbox had the same invitation to fill out the interest form just now, sent during my night, and I just submitted it.

Hoping now they let me sign up straight away.

Oh crap, this morning I decided to change prices on 4 of my titles. Appears they're live on amazon, but on my dashboard, it's still saying "live updates publishing" and "continue setup"

Its normal to take an hour or 2 to publish the book, and get the email about it 8 hours later. Until they send the email, it remains in review mode and cant be changed.

Offline AaronShep

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 09, 2017, 12:32:39 AM »
Just a tip: To retain your reviews, you can link new ebook directly to old ebook by requesting that at Author Central, without needing a print edition as intermediary. BUT you have to supply the old ebook ASIN or ISBN as well as the new. So, if you're moving from Pronoun, make sure you've recorded one or both of those BEFORE the Pronoun ebook disappears. (And if you're with KDP, you can do the same to guard against losing reviews from arbitrary delisting.)

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 09, 2017, 12:48:40 AM »
D2D mentioned a month ago (at NINC) that they were in the works to get Amazon distribution back. Apparently the Pronoun peeps thought it was business as usual until this weekend, which seems to suggest that whatever happened to them came from the higher-ups ... and suddenly. Forget all that, though. Why would one have anything to do with the other? Is there a reason Amazon can only work with one distributor that I'm not aware of? It seems far more likely to me that Pronoun abused their trade agreement with Amazon to make Pronoun possible and Amazon cut them off at the knees. Pronoun has been around under other names -- including Vook -- for a lot longer than most people realize. It was only recently that they offered the unsustainable terms, and most people seem to think the aim was data mining. We will have to see what, if anything, comes out of all this but I hardly think D2D is the reason Pronoun failed when Pronoun was offering a pay structure that everyone knew wouldn't last.

I have to agree with you, Amanda. I was around during the period D2D lost their deal with Amazon. And, if I recall correctly, that was a result of banned users abusing the system. I believe that D2D has since then instituted more rigorous checks to keep banned people out and scrutinize certain subject matters more, such as sex heavy books or anything of an illegal nature. To me, Pronoun is shutting down because they abused their terms, but the likely reason being they expended more money than they brought in. Prior to Mac~ buying them out, Vook was having money flow issues.

Aside from D2D, I can think of IngramSpark, LibStreet and Publish Drive offering Amazon distribution. IngramSpark costs money, but they seem to be throwing around coupons here and there to entice authors who relied on Creative whats-it that published paperback PODs.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #214 on: November 09, 2017, 05:17:39 AM »
You're missing a substantial piece of the puzzle. In order to keep scammers at bay, Google Play shut for new accounts two years ago.

They open for very short periods of time, and apparently you can also try emailing them explaining who you are and show them your books.

But otherwise, there is Streetlib.

when did they open it, do you know?
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 09, 2017, 05:30:10 AM »
when did they open it, do you know?

I can't give you specifics, but they have opened it at least twice this year. Both times it's been talked about here. And IIRC, it's been for short periods of time, as in hours, not days or longer.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #216 on: November 09, 2017, 06:13:01 AM »
I can't give you specifics, but they have opened it at least twice this year. Both times it's been talked about here. And IIRC, it's been for short periods of time, as in hours, not days or longer.

thanks!
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Online C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 09, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »

I have this post in my bookmarks. It's always worked well for me.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 10, 2017, 06:39:57 AM »
ALLi blog just posted a great round up of alternatives to Pronoun:

https://selfpublishingadvice.org/replacing-pronoun/

Offline Sailor Stone

• Vote for Pedro.
    • View Profile
    • Sailorstone.com
« Reply #219 on: November 10, 2017, 08:03:57 AM »
ALLi blog just posted a great round up of alternatives to Pronoun:

https://selfpublishingadvice.org/replacing-pronoun/

Great article. Thanks for the link.

Sailor Stone | web page | facebook

Offline EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
    • EB on Amazon
« Reply #220 on: November 10, 2017, 08:21:32 AM »
Question: Are there any other distributors that can do pre-orders on Amazon?
Pronoun was excellent with that, and it was great being able to push up or push back pre-order dates without any penalty. That is one feature that was golden to me.

So far I am loving a lot about D2D, especially the formatting & free conversion. I'm not yet taking advantage of their Amazon distribution, but if they were able to do pre-orders via Amazon I'd be all over that.

Offline Sailor Stone

• Vote for Pedro.
    • View Profile
    • Sailorstone.com
« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2017, 08:59:43 AM »
Pronoun was excellent with that, and it was great being able to push up or push back pre-order dates without any penalty. That is one feature that was golden to me.

So far I am loving a lot about D2D, especially the formatting & free conversion. I'm not yet taking advantage of their Amazon distribution, but if they were able to do pre-orders via Amazon I'd be all over that.

I'm switching to D2D also, and so far, so good...very good, in fact.
I am also jealous of your Time Walkers Collection cover. It's an eyecatcher for sure, and artfully, fantastically beautiful.

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
« Reply #222 on: November 10, 2017, 09:18:56 AM »

In the D2D announcement they said "at this time we are unable to support pre-orders through Amazon."  I do find it interesting D2D was able to get Amazon when Smashwords had them on the "soon to be available for all" list for a long time.  I haven't used D2D yet but I may for my next release.  I assume they have the ability to upload a epub direct without conversion?

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter | Google+

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2017, 10:08:42 AM »
In the D2D announcement they said "at this time we are unable to support pre-orders through Amazon."  I do find it interesting D2D was able to get Amazon when Smashwords had them on the "soon to be available for all" list for a long time.  I haven't used D2D yet but I may for my next release.  I assume they have the ability to upload a epub direct without conversion?

D2D does the conversion for free from a WORD doc.

Offline Sailor Stone

• Vote for Pedro.
    • View Profile
    • Sailorstone.com
« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2017, 10:08:53 AM »

Yes, it takes them about two seconds to accept it. Very simple process.