Author Topic: Author's Copies at Cost from KDP -- beta  (Read 2798 times)  

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
Author's Copies at Cost from KDP -- beta
« on: November 17, 2017, 05:25:53 PM »
Amazon just sent me an email letting me know that I can order actual Author's copies through my KDP dashboard. These are not the formerly available proof copies with the big gray watermark across the cover. These are actual author copies that could be resold at local bookstores, conventions etc. They cost the printing costs plus a finally affordable shipping cost (if you get the 3-5 day shipping anyway).

This is the cost for me for 50 copies of a 120 page paperback novella

Items (50):   $114.00
Shipping & handling:   $23.00
Total before tax:   $137.00
Estimated tax to be collected:   $11.50
Order total:   $148.50

Feel free to add how much say IngramSpark, or anyone else, would cost--I'd be interested in finding that out too

Guy Riessen | website

Online Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
Re: Author's Copies at Cost from KDP -- beta
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 05:32:46 PM »
Are you sure they don't have a watermark or "author copy" printed on the cover?

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:35:23 PM »
I got the email, too:

We have made updates to your account that allow you to order proofs and author (wholesale) copies of your paperbacks on KDP.

Proofs allow you to review a physical copy of your draft paperback prior to publication. Learn more here.
Author copies are copies of the live version of your paperback that you can order from Amazon. Learn more here.

When you order copies of your own book, you pay just the printing costs plus shipping and applicable taxes. Unlike CreateSpace, KDP proof and author copies for the UK and the rest of Europe are printed and shipped from within Europe.
By publishing a paperback on KDP, you can reach more readers through Amazon websites in the US and Europe, as well as manage your print and eBook publishing from one website. In addition, you can use the KDP website in English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Portuguese or Dutch. Learn more here.

Best,
The Kindle Direct Publishing Team

I don't use KDP print, so have nothing to play with.

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 05:43:23 PM »
Are you sure they don't have a watermark or "author copy" printed on the cover?

These are specifically called out as Wholesale Author Copies and are now a separate order button from what are now called Author Proofs (these do have the watermark).  Prior to this change, there was only one choice for supposedly at cost ordering...now there are two different choices under the ellipses on the author dashboard.

Supposedly this is beta program for select publishers for which I received a specific email about an hour ago. I'm a nobody so far, with only 2 paperback sales, but I did complain to their CS about the lack of author's copies and added the fact that I would discount my own book, then order it with Prime to get around their ridiculousness then raise the price back up...which is exactly what I did.

Guy Riessen | website

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 06:11:44 PM »
This is good news. I was going to publish with KDP because I figured they'd get this feature eventually, but they kept giving me unspecified error when trying to upload the PDF while CreateSpace did the same file just fine. Never did work out what the issue was. Oh well, maybe next book.

AnmaNatsu

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 07:59:08 PM »
Feel free to add how much say IngramSpark, or anyone else, would cost--I'd be interested in finding that out too

For Ingram, presuming black and white interior, a regular size (like 5.5 x 8.5), standard service, and cheapest shipping (commercial ground):

Items (50):   $130.00
Handling:   $1.99
Shipping:   $15.38
Tax:   $11.55
Total:   $158.92

5x8 would be about $1 cheaper, 6x9 would be about $1 more (both due to shipping cost changes).

AnmaNatsu

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 08:05:28 PM »
And just for info purposes, here is Blurb.com's :-)

50 copies: $148.00
Shipping (Standard): $65.99
Tax: $16.05 (only applies in 8 states for them; but since yours is one, I added it in)
Total: $230.04

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 08:36:01 PM »
For Ingram, presuming black and white interior, a regular size (like 5.5 x 8.5), standard service, and cheapest shipping (commercial ground):

Items (50):   $130.00
Handling:   $1.99
Shipping:   $15.38
Tax:   $11.55
Total:   $158.92

5x8 would be about $1 cheaper, 6x9 would be about $1 more (both due to shipping cost changes).

Oh yeah, my quote is actually for a 5x8. I forgot to mention that :)

Guy Riessen | website

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 10:42:57 PM »
I didn't get the email (unless I accidentally flushed it) but I now see the option in my KDP paperbacks to order proofs or author copies. Nice.

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 10:50:13 PM »
I did complain to their CS about the lack of author's copies and added the fact that I would discount my own book, then order it with Prime to get around their ridiculousness then raise the price back up...which is exactly what I did.

I'm absolutely certain that this would prompt a positive reaction from Amazon, especially as I don't believe you are the only one to do it.

Great news.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 03:06:59 AM »
I tried to order a proof copy from kdp of a book a couple of days ago.

The shipping was around 6 GBP, which meant the proof would cost me over 11 GBP.

So I just changed the price of the paperback down to 4.99 GBP and ordered a copy using Prime (free shipping), then jacked the price back up.

This is silly! Why am I paying for shipping when I can simply order a copy of Amazon for free postage and next day delivery? Why aren't they making it cheaper?

(I have not been offered "author" copies yet)

Online notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 08:19:32 AM »
Does everyone in the US who uses KDP Print see this option? (I print through CreateSpace, so of course I don't see it on my Dashboard.)
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 02:03:55 AM »
I sell a lot of paperbacks through local craft fairs. This is great news to me. I turned my books into KDP paperback early on, just because I do not believe that Amazon does ANYTHING without having a darned good reason. I am waiting to be notified. I am hopeful it won't take too long to happen.

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
    • Tobias Roote Books
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 02:20:00 AM »
Does everyone in the US who uses KDP Print see this option? (I print through CreateSpace, so of course I don't see it on my Dashboard.)

I'm in Greece/UK/USA and I'm not getting that option (yet). It is probably being rolled out on server updates.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 02:21:54 AM »
This is good news. I was going to publish with KDP because I figured they'd get this feature eventually, but they kept giving me unspecified error when trying to upload the PDF while CreateSpace did the same file just fine. Never did work out what the issue was. Oh well, maybe next book.

You could try importing the book into KDP Print from Createspace and see if that works. https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G201952960

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
    • View Profile
    • Red Adept Publishing
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 05:46:40 AM »
When you purchase the author copies, does it give you an option to change the shipping address?

I want to know if I can ship to those directly to other people.

Offline Deke

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 09:08:35 AM »
I'd also be interested in this, but my hard copies are through Createspace. I assume that Amazon will simply consume CS completely and stop the charade. I've been tempted by FB ads for something called "48 Hour Books."

Dale Kutzera | Website

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 09:53:38 AM »
I'd also be interested in this, but my hard copies are through Createspace. I assume that Amazon will simply consume CS completely and stop the charade. I've been tempted by FB ads for something called "48 Hour Books."
At least CS still offers author copies on the same terms as before. There is a shipping charge, but there always has been. It's hard to tell without knowing the weight of the books, but it seems smaller than the one KDP Print is charging, or am I wrong about that?

Why does something CS has been doing for years need such a gradual rollout at KDP Print? The whole mess will make me cling to CS until it ceases to exist.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 10:44:38 AM »

Why does something CS has been doing for years need such a gradual rollout at KDP Print? The whole mess will make me cling to CS until it ceases to exist.

^this^

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 05:39:57 PM »
At least CS still offers author copies on the same terms as before. There is a shipping charge, but there always has been. It's hard to tell without knowing the weight of the books, but it seems smaller than the one KDP Print is charging, or am I wrong about that?

Not sure if youre rightwe posted kdp, Ingram and blurb. If you have cs then the cool move would be to post the information for 50 approx 120page book (or something similar) so everyone could make an informed choice :)

Guy Riessen | website

Offline elizabethbarone

• Watertown, CT
  • Contemporary Romance & Suspense
    • View Profile
    • Elizabeth Barone: Contemporary Romance & Suspense
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 07:26:05 AM »
I'm confused about this author's copies thing; never has CS ever printed "author's copy" across the cover -- or anywhere else -- when I order mine. Thank goodness, too, because I hand sell them, and that would look tacky.

Now, proofs... Those have "proof" printed diagonally across the very last page. Still nothing printed across your cover.

I'm still using CS (and always will, at least until they tear it away), so maybe this is a KDP thing? If so, one more reason to avoid KDP paperbacks (for me, anyway).

Connect With Me: BlogFacebook | Instagram

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 08:08:28 AM »
As far as authors' copies and proofs, my understanding is that the authors' copies are exactly what you'd buy retail, but for cost plus shipping. The proofs differ from CreateSpace in that they're marked on the cover, rather than in the back of the book. Disclaimer: I haven't ordered either. I'm just taking KDP at its word:

What are author copies?
These are copies of your live paperback that can be purchased at printing cost. They don't include unpublished changes you've made on KDP.

What are proof copies?
Proof copies are snapshots of how your paperback would currently print. You can check for grammatical errors, typos, and formatting. You can also review images or graphics to make sure they meet your expectations.

If your proof doesn't print as expected, it may be due to formatting issues. Ordering proofs is not mandatory, and you don't need to wait to submit your book for publication if you order a proof. However, if your submission doesn't pass our quality review, you'll need to edit your files and resubmit them. For more information on paperback formatting, see our Help page.

Proofs are different from regular copies. They have a "Not for Resale" watermark on the cover and a unique barcode but no ISBN.

Lynn, to answer your question, I just began a test transaction. When you order authors' copies, it sends you to a regular shopping cart with the quantity you've selected. From there, it's processed just like a regular Amazon purchase. So, yes, you can designate different recipients.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 08:12:30 AM by Marty South »

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 08:20:27 AM »
Not sure if youre rightwe posted kdp, Ingram and blurb. If you have cs then the cool move would be to post the information for 50 approx 120page book (or something similar) so everyone could make an informed choice :)
Closest I can come is 114 pages, but the book is 6 X 9, so on balance it's going to be slight more expensive than a 5 X 8 at 120 pages.

Unit cost: $2.21

Price for 50   110.55
Shipping:        23.00
Tax:                11.06
Total:            145.55

With KDP Print at 148.50 and Ingram at 158.92, CS wins by a small margin. Given all the glitches at KDP print, though, I'd still pick CS, even if it were slightly more expensive.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2017, 08:27:47 AM »
Given all the glitches at KDP print, though, I'd still pick CS, even if it were slightly more expensive.

What glitches?

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2017, 10:16:31 AM »
Createspace Unit cost: $2.29

Price for 50   114.50
Shipping:        23.00

Ingram Spark Unit cost: $2.60

Price for 50  $131.99
Shipping      $ 15.38

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 10:21:40 AM by Mark Gardner »