NetGalley

Author Topic: The less than 1,000 words a week club  (Read 2794 times)  

• Unsubscribed
    • View Profile
Re: The less than 1,000 words a week club
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 12:40:13 PM »
I thought about starting a thread just like this yesterday and never even saw this one.  I never did start one because I couldn't think of a title and also worried the thread would be seen as mocking the KB godlings and I'd get the boot.  So, thanks for taking one for the team!

I started my current WIP with the plan of writing 5k words per day and having it finished in 10 days.  I started in August of 2016 and it's still not done.  I only seem to publish fiction in even numbered years so keep your fingers crossed for 2018!

• Unsubscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »
Oh, we're supposed to give counts.  Okay, I have two WIPs I'm working on.  One is the aforementioned novel (did I say it was a novel?  Well, it is.) and the other is a short story that was supposed to go in my late summer, er, fall, er, Halloween, maybe winter holiday issue of my newsletter but probably won't (due to content, not not finishing it).

I wrote 11 words in the novel last night and 259 words in the short story for a total of 270 words.  Yay.

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 02:51:48 PM »
Got me beat, Dan.  I've written more words here on KB the last two weeks than any of my three WIP.

• Unsubscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 03:38:14 PM »
Got me beat, Dan.  I've written more words here on KB the last two weeks than any of my three WIP.

I keep telling myself I'd be more productive once I get my laptop fixed and can use it instead of the iPad, but that's a lie because I wrote an 85k novel on the iPad, plus a good chunk of my non-fiction book, plus numerous short stories for my newsletter, plus chunks of other WIPs, so that pretty much renders the laptop vs. iPad argument a mere excuse rather than a practical explanation.

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 03:56:05 PM »
You don't have to give a count! LOL

I'm just happy I wrote SOMETHING last night.  It's been a week of formatting and uploading paperbacks and planning promotions.  Finally, I'm back to writing.  Maybe I'll get a chapter or two done this weekend. :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

• Unsubscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2017, 04:11:03 PM »
. . . my three WIP.

BTW . . .  Three WIPs?  How cute.  :P  I have 150+.

Online gmaz135

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »
I am so in! Is a WIP a WIP if there isn't any P?
Tin Man: 7%
george mazzeo | Chasing Dragons

Offline D A Bale

• United States
  • author, editor, cover designer
    • View Profile
    • DA Bale Publishing
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2017, 07:31:42 PM »
BTW . . .  Three WIPs?  How cute.  :P  I have 150+.

Let me rephrase that - three ACTIVE WIP.

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2017, 03:08:06 PM »
I did 469 words on Thursday. So far, that's it for this week, and I doubt seriously I'll do anything tonight. New week starting tomorrow, though! Cross my fingers, might do better. Goodness knows, there are enough WiPs around for me to be able to write something, even if it's not the novella I need to finish up. It's only like one more chapter, maybe two. Gee.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

• Unsubscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »
I hope I don't get kicked out of the group, but I wrote 771 words last night, which means there's a chance I may write more than 1,000 words this week.   :o

Offline Moticom

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
I've been spending a lot more time drawing than writing lately, so I dread to think what my WPD is, but if I get a good idea for my next book, I tend to add it in my phones notepad and then at a later date I write the ideas all down on paper and start working those ideas into the story on my laptop.

David Hurrell | Amazon.com
Visit Soulless Voodoo Guy on Facebook for exclusive artwork
YouTube channel

Online Lorri Moulton

• View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2017, 09:42:21 AM »
I hope I don't get kicked out of the group, but I wrote 771 words last night, which means there's a chance I may write more than 1,000 words this week.   :o

Didn't I mention....we reset the week on Monday morning.  8)

• Unsubscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »
Didn't I mention....we reset the week on Monday morning.  8)

I don't know if that will help.  :(  I have about 1300 words to go to finish this story and hope to do that this week so I can give it a read-thru and do my editing/rewriting/etc. before handing it off to the poor soul who has volunteered to be my beta reader so she can tell me how terrible this thing is and that I should probably learn how to fix HVAC equipment in lieu of continuing to pursue writing.

Offline skylarker1

• Minneapolis, MN, USA
    • View Profile
    • Dreamspell
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2017, 01:29:44 PM »
Anyway, as much as I am in awe of those writing full time (or just really fast) I thought it might be nice to start a thread for those of us, who are a little slower.  Of course, if you have a great week, share it!  But I believe slow and steady gets the job done, too.   8)

Slow and steady works for me! Sometimes I do better, but right now, with the full time dayjob, publishing and republishing to and from Pronoun, family holidays, etc., a thousand words in a week is a GOOD week. :)

Naomi Stone: Magic you can believe in
Naomi Stone | website

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2017, 02:13:19 PM »
I really have no excuse. No job, no kids, nada. Except I'm a reading addict and forum junkie and play WoW on the weekends and should really chain through the quests for the zone so I can get phat lewtz for da raid. Instead I did boring archeology this morning. I have self-learned ADD from when I worked a job that required a ton of multitasking and I have trouble focusing on just writing without needing to read part of a book, the web, games, look at my promos, and check the news to make sure we are still in one piece.

Current book I have opened: Take a Thief by Mercedes Lackey. Since I got my hubby addicted to Mercedes Lackey, he's been asking me to buy all her books since I have them only in paperback. I remembered this one fondly and decided to read it again.

Research I did yesterday-ish: Fun Wiki info about evolution which I needed for my WIP. I also did research on plants and other 'things' during the early days of November for the story. See http://www.thegoldenelm.org/writing-research/ if you want to read it.

Then there's the mosquito poem I composed today off the top of my head to answer someone's FB post about if they were there to pest. I actually had a terrible encounter with mosquitos while trying to sleep which is what prompted me to answer with a yes, they are there to pest us, and here's my experience... If you really want to see that, check out http://www.thegoldenelm.org/midwest-mosquito-ambush-a-poem/ It's a sad, pale imitation of Poe's more lyrical verse. I'm not a poetry writer and I hate most poems, so it's kind of funny when I am inspired to write these. :P

I have written some words today in my WIP. And the entire month of November saw it go from 0-5924. The current position in my WIP (ooh you guys get to read it first above everyone!!)

Amira walked up to Wikolia while she toweled off. "The girl is good."
"Too good."
"What do you mean?"
"Too young to be dat strong."

This gives you a look at how I start a scene by writing the dialog first, then going back to add action bits.

So, my November didn't cough up 60k of awesome like some people, but I had research to do! That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it! ;)

Online Lorri Moulton

• View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 09:07:22 PM »
I wrote about 400 words, then got sidetracked researching my next series.  At least, it's book related! :)

Offline amy_wokz

• "Think loose; write tight."
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 10:33:38 PM »
Whatever works for you is what you should do. Since I fell in love with Dragon I'm hard pressed to be an official member of the less than 1,000 words per week club, though.
"Readers prefer the clear and concise delivery of an exciting story more than the flowery and sublime delivery of utter ennui." - Hugh Howey

Offline Sarah Shaw

• Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2017, 10:37:17 PM »
Wow! I finally worked my way through the big block and figured out at least how the next chapter (and the final one) are going to go! So after a couple weeks of being dead in the water I'm producing at the rate of about 100 words a day! I'm FLYING along!  ;D

Offline Raquel Lyon

• England
  • Getting there slowly, one word at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Raquel Lyon
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2017, 11:16:43 PM »
Even though I have a raging cold and feel like s***, have a new release out at the weekend (my first in 18 months & it's only a novella) that I'm scrambling to get some form of promo visibility for (I was, of course, late completing it, but it has a Christmas theme, so it was kind of rush to get it out now or wait until next year), and staff sicknesses at my day job are forcing me to work extra hours and swapping my shifts around like crazy, I managed 104 words yesterday. Go me! It's a shame they didn't advance my WIP past the block I'm having with it at the moment, just made a part I'd already written slightly better. I hope!

Raquel Lyon | author website | facebook | twitter | goodreads | google+

• Unsubscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2017, 11:19:41 PM »
I wrote 501 words tonight which means it's only Tuesday and I'm more than halfway to being kicked out of the group.   :'(

Offline KMel

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
Im in! Im a stay-at-home mom, so writing takes a backseat to keeping the small people alive. I write when theyre asleep and my brain isnt totally fried (it usually is). Zero words today as of right now, but my toddler is napping so I need to get to it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 10:46:40 AM by KMel »
A Tale of Christmas Past: 100%

A Tale of Christmas Present: 30%

• Unsubscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 07:44:49 PM »
 :'(

This may be my last post before getting kicked out.  I finished the story I've been working on.  Now just need to proofread and edit before sending along to my beta reader.  Anyway, it means I have written 2,209 words on this story this week, plus far less than that on my WIP.

Offline MKK

• Canada
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2017, 04:15:45 AM »

You guys, with your positive word counts, make me sick :)

This week I managed to write -2,800 words. Which means it will take me at least another three weeks to get back to where I was when the week started. Should this continue, I will be like Benjamin Button and manage to have zero words written just before I die.

Mark Kelly | Facebook

Offline Sean Sweeney

• Massachusetts
  • I adventure hard so you don't have to!
    • View Profile
    • Sean Sweeney, Author
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2017, 04:29:14 AM »
This is fantastic. The last couple of weeks has been a rough go for me, between Thanksgiving and a tooth abscess last week... plus my Thursday and Sunday radio show (which I really want to give up because I'm so tuckered out when I get home, but my wife is reminding me... taxes)....

Right about now, I'm jumping for joy if I get a page written. Usually, I'm good for at least 1,500-2,000. Between the above and the fact that I'm trying to utilize a new voice for this project (a trilogy), I'm finding it rough to write right now. Hating the project's existence.

Yesterday, 382 words. Day before: 517 words. Day before that: 66.
Sean Sweeney, formerly John Fitch V -- author of 28 novels and counting.

Sean's Bookstore page: http://www.seansweeneyauthor.com/bookstore-2/

Want to know when my next book arrives?
http://seansweeneyauthor.us3.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=efd3d6c4705dc36027cb9f499&id=9ac41daa3e

Offline Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2017, 07:44:16 AM »
I will be like Benjamin Button

That was a fascinating movie!  :)