Author Topic: Amazon, how much would it cost?  (Read 5256 times)  

Offline Used To Be BH

• View Profile
Re: Amazon, how much would it cost?
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 01:35:47 pm »
Since I don't know what I'm doing on the business end of books, I never considered asking the publisher to stop selling it -- a little something is better than nothing. I'll find and check the contract, but it sounds like maybe I should wait to self-publish my next novel.
Not necessarily. If you have faith in this one, it might be worth making the effort to figure out what its legal status is. Right now you can't distribute it--and the publisher, if what you say is true, shouldn't be, either.

However nice the editor is, the publisher's business model doesn't entirely make sense to me. They invest in editing, cover, etc., want only a three-year contract, make no effort to renew it, are perfectly willing to let you self-publish, though they still have the book on sale. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems haphazard from the way you're describing it. Usually, a publisher tries to at least recover their initial investment. Pr maybe the publisher did. I was rereading your post about the financial arrangement, and I'm not clear why you're paying for the paperbacks to be printed. That's a very unusual arrangement, at least as far as I know.

If it were me, I'd want to rescue my book and try to do something with it myself.
I have not consented to the new Terms of Service, which were implemented without any announcement and without the ability to accept or reject them. My continued participation on the forum is related only to addressing this issue and cannot be construed as implied consent.  9/19/2018

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    « Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 01:51:50 pm »
    Thanks. I believe in the book, but not in myself trying to figure out all of this stuff. I'm a retired children's psychotherapist and have no business background. I think, however, that the publisher pays for the printing. How can one get it done for free? If I decide to self-publish a new edition, the publisher would take it down and stop selling it.
    Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures
    Adult Literary Science Fiction
    https://www.hostingauthors.com/books/RarityfromtheHollow

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 02:27:51 pm »
    I think, however, that the publisher pays for the printing. How can one get it done for free?

You can upload it to CreateSpace for no charge, and then when someone buys a copy CS will print it on demand. They get their take from the purchase money, and you get yours.  (Edited to fix my crappy grammar.)
    « Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:13:15 pm by ShayneRutherford »

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    « Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 02:40:50 pm »
    Wow! Totally cool. Thank you. I've copied this thread already and will add your comment. 
    Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures

Online Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #29 on: December 02, 2017, 02:43:26 pm »
    Wow! Totally cool. Thank you. I've copied this thread already and will add your comment.

You shouldn't need to download the thread. Threads don't get deleted from KB, and you can simply bookmark it and return to it whenever you like.

Offline Monique

• California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: December 02, 2017, 02:45:48 pm »
    Here's a primer I wrote for a speech I gave at a conference last year. It's pretty basic and some won't apply to you, but there are lots of good thinks and things, if you're interested.

http://moniquemartin.weebly.com/uploads/2/7/9/3/2793828/self_publishing_primer_jambalaya.pdf

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    « Reply #31 on: December 02, 2017, 04:13:36 pm »
    Thanks. Yes, the editing, formatting, and book cover have been done. I'm confident that the current publisher would gift them to me. It looks like I need to study and decide. He would likely email me a release of claims or whatever it's called, as well. Honestly, my impression is that the editor is a very good person who overextended and didn't have any time or resources to promote. The risk seems to be if I would lose Amazon review if I submit a revised edition. I've copied the link to your article onto the doc that I save. I've never bookmarked anything here and don't want to risk losing the valuable advice that everybody has given.
    Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline Doglover

• Cambridge, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 12:56:39 am »
    Thanks. I believe in the book, but not in myself trying to figure out all of this stuff. I'm a retired children's psychotherapist and have no business background. I think, however, that the publisher pays for the printing. How can one get it done for free? If I decide to self-publish a new edition, the publisher would take it down and stop selling it.
    Createspace or kdp print do print on demand. But whatever you do, do not go through the kdp process via Createspace. When you publish through them, there is an option at the end to send to kindle. Do not do it! They make a real dog's dinner of it. You need to do the kindle version yourself. I prefer kdp print to Createspace myself, but there are those who don't like change. There is lots of information about formatting for kindle and for print.

You upload your files and your book gets printed when someone orders it. Dead clever.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    « Reply #33 on: December 03, 2017, 05:29:38 am »
    Thanks In what way do they make dog's dinner of it? Never mind, I'll just take your word for it and try to remember not to do that.
    Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline H.C.

• Chengdu
    • Loving every minute
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: December 03, 2017, 08:20:15 am »
    Marty South, Well, I'm out of my element as well. I had the book copyright before the publishing contract -- sent the ms. to the office, paid the fee.... The publishing contract was for three years. It was originally published as an ARC, which lasted for an extended period. The publisher worked on it (another round of editing and submission of the final edition) technically after the contract expired and we never extended the contract beyond the original. In any case, I firmly believe that the editor is a very a good guy. For example, shortly after it was published, an agent contacted me and wanted to submit it to TOR. The Dog Horn editor said that he would gladly give up his rights if it would be in the best interests of the book, but the agent never went any further than the initial contact -- prob not a very good agent but a few placements and no negatives about the agent on Preditors and Editors or anyplace else that I Googled.   

As far as I can tell this wasn't through a "publisher". It appears to have been someone paid to self-publish for him and then take all the profits. There is no publishing house. Just a person who put someone's book up on sites just like we all do, except he took money for it  =  (

Offline Doglover

• Cambridge, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #35 on: December 03, 2017, 09:32:39 am »
    Thanks In what way do they make dog's dinner of it? Never mind, I'll just take your word for it and try to remember not to do that.
    They try to upload a pdf, which you cannot do for kindle. That is what I've heard and they charge exorbitant amounts to do everything, all stuff you can get cheaper elsewhere.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline Used To Be BH

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: December 03, 2017, 09:45:23 am »
    As far as I can tell this wasn't through a "publisher". It appears to have been someone paid to self-publish for him and then take all the profits. There is no publishing house. Just a person who put someone's book up on sites just like we all do, except he took money for it  =  (
    I looked at the site, and there is an umbrella company with several publishers under it. I don't see any evidence of fees, though I don't see any way to submit books, either. It could be a service provider, as you suggest, or it could be a publisher working in a very unconventional way.
    I have not consented to the new Terms of Service, which were implemented without any announcement and without the ability to accept or reject them. My continued participation on the forum is related only to addressing this issue and cannot be construed as implied consent.  9/19/2018

Offline Used To Be BH

• View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: December 03, 2017, 10:36:42 am »
    If it makes you feel any better, a lot of us started with no business background. My advice would be take it slow. It doesn't as if you have any reason to rush. Make sure you get everything in writing from your publisher. Ask whatever questions you need to ask here, both about this and about anything else that comes up. Don't feel as if you have to learn everything and accomplish everything quickly. I think if you take it one step at a time and learn as you go, you will be OK.

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    « Reply #38 on: December 03, 2017, 10:40:02 am »
    Mine was published by Dog Horn Publishing in the U.K: http://www.doghornpublishing.com/wordpress/books/rarity-from-the-hollow Here's the page for the new releases: http://www.doghornpublishing.com/wordpress/category/books And, it has seven pages that list several books for sale. The editor is also the editor and owner of Vada Magazine. It has not been accepting submissions for a while.

Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline Simply_Me

• Northeast US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: December 03, 2017, 11:43:14 am »
    Thanks. Yes, the editing, formatting, and book cover have been done. I'm confident that the current publisher would gift them to me. It looks like I need to study and decide. He would likely email me a release of claims or whatever it's called, as well. Honestly, my impression is that the editor is a very good person who overextended and didn't have any time or resources to promote. The risk seems to be if I would lose Amazon review if I submit a revised edition. I've copied the link to your article onto the doc that I save. I've never bookmarked anything here and don't want to risk losing the valuable advice that everybody has given.

Hi, the secret to keep all the reviews, even after the book has been unpublished by your publisher and republished by you, it's the original ASIN. In your case is ASIN: B017REIA44.

Amazon KDP customer service needs this in order to retrieve the book's reviews.

Offline ThirdWish

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: December 03, 2017, 11:59:16 am »
    Get thee to Amazon or your local bookstore or library and pick up a copy of The Copyright Handbook (Nolo Press) and read it with a highlighter handy (not the library book, obviously :). When it comes to copyright, every writer needs to know the law.

http://amzn.to/2AnPsVe

My .02:  as a child psychologist, I'm guessing you spent your educational and professional life in a field with defined steps and process. Take this course, do that workshop, keep up X number continuing education hours, achieve that certification by a specific date, and so on. My daughter is a brand new MD and we've often talked about how her life since high school has been a seemingly endless path of specific steps.

Self-publishing is about as far from a defined path as you could find. I'm guessing the lack of defined, specific, digestible information about what to do, when to do it, why to do it, is driving you a bit batty. Welcome to this world. :o

1.  Give yourself a break. All this stuff is new. Even the way you'll proceed -- no matter how you proceed--will be different from your previous career.
    2.  Find a way to give yourself the time you need to learn, which will be unique, depending on your circumstances.
    3.  Step one in the learning process is learning how to sift, filter and evaluate your sources. Perhaps you've written a rubric or criteria or two in your career? Write one now based on where you are and keep updating it as you learn.
    4.  All this stuff is figureoutable.

Best of luck! Sounds like you've made a stellar start  :)
    « Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 12:04:17 pm by ThirdWish »

Offline I'm a Little Teapot

• I am very awesome.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: December 03, 2017, 12:04:07 pm »

Yep. And didn't edit either. There are some serious mistakes in the Look Inside. Predators in publishing really peeve me.

Online Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #42 on: December 03, 2017, 12:05:42 pm »
    David Gaughran of these boards has a very reasonably priced ebook that is good for getting started in self-publishing.

https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Get-Digital-Self-Publish-Publishing-ebook/dp/B005DC68NI

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    « Reply #43 on: December 03, 2017, 12:31:44 pm »
    Seven Days, Are you talking about my book? It was edited first by the Acquisitions Editor for the University of Michigan's Library, then again by an editor for Dog Horn, and a third time by the editor/owner for Dog Horn. If you found something that nobody else has commented about, including the Awesome Indies reviewer who said that it was a perfect book and gave it 5 stars, please let me know.
    Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures

• I am very awesome.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: December 03, 2017, 12:54:23 pm »
    Seven Days, Are you talking about my book? It was edited first by the Acquisitions Editor for the University of Michigan's Library, then again by an editor for Dog Horn, and a third time by the editor/owner for Dog Horn. If you found something that nobody else has commented about, including the Awesome Indies reviewer who said that it was a perfect book and gave it 5 stars, please let me know.

Challenge accepted.

"Maybe you are a SPED. There's always an argument in a family. Pass the test you retard," Lacy Dawn opened her spelling book.

Eggleton, Robert (2015-11-07T22:58:59). Rarity from the Hollow (Kindle Locations 110-111). Dog Horn Publishing. Kindle Edition.

(There's more than one thing wrong in that one.)

"Give it back. This thing won't start," Lacy Dawns father grabbed the trouble light out of her hand and walked away.

Eggleton, Robert (2015-11-07T22:58:59). Rarity from the Hollow (Kindle Locations 132-133). Dog Horn Publishing. Kindle Edition.

That's just two. Your so-called editor is no editor.

Offline Monique

• California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #45 on: December 03, 2017, 01:06:18 pm »
    Yes, unfortunately, there are quite a few actions treated as dialogue tag errors in just the first few pages.

• I am very awesome.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: December 03, 2017, 01:09:23 pm »
    Yes, unfortunately, there are quite a few actions treated as dialogue tag errors in just the first few pages.

Yup.

Get your rights back - in writing. Then invest some money in a decent copyeditor. After that, you'll be ready to republish. It's worth spending some time taking care of business so nothing bites you on the behind later.

Offline Monique

• California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 01:11:20 pm »
    Maybe the editor was not familiar with fiction? It's an odd error to make and it seems to be made consistently. Most of the booboos I found had to do with dialogue. I didn't read very far, though.

Online robert eggleton

• West Virginia
      • View Profile
      • Rarity from the Hollow
    « Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 01:19:47 pm »
    These examples were stylistic decisions, not mistakes or bad editing.

As I was reading it, I remembered when I first read Vonneguts Cats Cradle at the age of 14. A veteran of Swift, Heller, and Frederick Brown, I understood absurdist humour in satire, but Vonnegut took that understanding and turned it on its ear.
    In the spirit of Vonnegut, Eggleton (a psychotherapist focused on the adolescent patient) takes the genre and gives it another quarter turn. A lot of people hated Vonnegut, saying he didnt know the rules of good writing. But that wasnt true. Vonnegut knew the rules quite well, he just chose to ignore them, and that is what is happening in Eggletons novel, as well. http://electricrev.net/2014/08/12/a-universe-on-the-edge/

It is also notable that the novel was reviewed and given 5 stars by a former editor of Reader's Digest: Rarity from the Hollow is the most enjoyable science fiction that I've read in several years.  http://warriorpatient.com/blog/?p=58

I plan to continue to write with passive action verbs omitted. 

Robert Eggleton
    Lacy Dawn Adventures

Offline A past poster

• View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: December 03, 2017, 01:20:50 pm »
    Yup.

Get your rights back - in writing. Then invest some money in a decent copyeditor. After that, you'll be ready to republish. It's worth spending some time taking care of business so nothing bites you on the behind later.

Absolutely get your rights back--in writing. The rest of the above advice is equally sound.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement