Author Topic: foreign pricing  (Read 542 times)  

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
foreign pricing
« on: December 03, 2017, 08:01:57 pm »
I was just noticing something odd. All my novels are priced $5.99 USD. On Amazon Canada, all of them have a slightly different price from one another: 7.73, 7.65, 7.39, 7.74, 7.59. On Amazon Australia, all of my for-sale books are 7.00, but my preorder book is 7.83. The same in the UK, where all the for-sale books are priced at 4.17, but the preorder book is priced at 4.55.

Anyone know what's going on out there?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline RBC

• View Profile
      • RockingBookCovers.com
    Re: foreign pricing
    « Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 12:39:25 am »
    Same price but in local currency probably.

Joanna Penn recommends to go in and change foreign prices to the prices of the location. Going through the bestsellers and seeing how your prices stack up. If they're too high, might help to lower them.

And that's esp. true in countries like India, Brasil etc where normal price here is way way too high to make sales there.

Offline A. N. Other Author

• Staffordshire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 01:47:21 am »
    Guessing? Must have priced it according to the XE rate at the time.

As Adrijus says, go change them to something that makes sense in that currency. Canada, UK, Australia are all used to the .99 at the end, so probably 4.99 UK, 7.99 CA and AU, maybe 6.99 EU? Depends how well they already sell in those territories as to whether you add to reach .99 or take away.

That's the received wisdom, at least. I'm not sure how it plays out in practice.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    « Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 04:53:54 am »
    The point I'm trying to make is that $5.99 USD should have the same foreign currency equivalent in other stores. Yet $5.99 means four different things in Canada and two different things in the UK and Australia.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    « Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 05:24:30 am »
    Because prices are set at time of publication I believe. I don't think they change unless you update the book.

At Google it's manual for sure. If you don't refresh your foreign exchange rates they get really out of date. I think it's that way for Amazon too.

It's why I put in manual prices for as many places as I can, but of course that doesn't always address fluctuations with exchange rates.

Maybe someone else knows more and can correct me if I'm wrong.

that explanation might make sense, but i wonder if the prices are locked in some cases. I updated all of the books on the same afternoon a couple of weeks ago.

Offline Escapee

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:17:26 am »
    I just checked the Aus store and saw your books are priced at $7.00. That's pretty expensive for ebooks. I change my prices in the foreign stores so my books cost the same everywhere so my readers overseas don't feel ripped off. Sure, I receive lower royalties, but at least people can afford to buy my books. They're more likely to give them a try if they're $4.99 rather than $7.00.

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 07:19:30 am »
    I've tried changing foreign prices on Amazon, mainly because the cents were weird and I tried to change them to X.99 in foreign currencies.

Alas, it didn't work. Amazon tacks on the VAT, and all the foreign prizes are still odd ending. I don't know how to figure out the final prices with VAT for each country, so I reverted back to letting Amazon auto price based on my US price.

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to change the foreign prices to something not odd looking when VAT is added?

Offline 75845

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:54:24 am »
    Since 2015 the KDP Dashboard has price entered the way most of the world world (i.e., tax inclusive pricing). This welcome change came at a time when the EU made alterations to VAT rules. The dashboard tells you what the price is without the VAT, although all Amazon stores charge that VAT. Japan and Australia also now have tax inclusive prices. Because the Euro is used in several stores and VAT is now based on the customer's home country the amount you earn will change if you keep all the Euro stores the same price. To add to the complication the Germany store serves Swiss customers, who are not in the EU, and the UK store is optional for Irish customers whose home currency is the Euro.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    « Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 07:58:18 am »
    I'm at peace with the odd prices in foreign Amazon stores. I just want to understand why $5.99 translates into different prices depending on which book I'm looking at in the same store.

Offline Not any more

• Baltimore, MD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 11:18:04 am »
    I'm at peace with the odd prices in foreign Amazon stores. I just want to understand why $5.99 translates into different prices depending on which book I'm looking at in the same store.
    As noted above, it has to do with the exchange rate when you set the price. If you updated content but didn't change the prices, then they wouldn't change. I let Zon set the prices, then go in and adjust them manually. My two biggest secondary markets are Canada and Australia. I usually set the Australian price to equal the Canadian price cause I'm all for equality.

And BTW, in keeping with the Amazon tradition of quality control, I'm seeing all print prices in the Amazon U.S. store in pounds today. Be careful if you think you're seeing a bargain.
    « Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 11:20:24 am by brkingsolver »
    This post remains on KBoards over my objections.

Offline amdonehere

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 11:30:20 am »
    As noted above, it has to do with the exchange rate when you set the price. If you updated content but didn't change the prices, then they wouldn't change. I let Zon set the prices, then go in and adjust them manually. My two biggest secondary markets are Canada and Australia. I usually set the Australian price to equal the Canadian price cause I'm all for equality.

I did that but I still don't see know how to get the price to show in other countries' pages as "X.99". Whatever new price I change to will lead to a corresponding adjustment in the VAT, and the price will still be some oddity like "X.43" for example, when a foreign reader sees the book on the foreign page.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement