Author Topic: Over it!!!!!  (Read 1057 times)  

Offline Tracey

• Australia
    • View Profile
Over it!!!!!
« on: June 01, 2010, 07:12:18 pm »
OK I have a 3.5 year old and a nearly 1 year old and for the last 18 months we have done nothing but go to the doctor.  I swear I could pack up and happily move into the doctor's surgery, making the pharmacy the second most frequented place and nearly being able to move in there as well.

At Christmas, we went on a holiday to Far North Queensland, where the weather is nice and hot and the climate totally different to where I live.  It actually helped my girls to get over their coughs and colds that they had had constantly that year.

I went 3 months (the best 3 months ever) without having to go to the doctor at all, then we had to go once or twice for a couple of little chest infections and then BAM!!!!!  we are all of as sudden back to weekly trips to the doctor.

My 3 year old has had a chest infection for the last couple of weeks and thankfully the antibiotics have almost cleared that up.  She also had viral gastro last week as well, which was just so much fun NOT!!!

My 1 year old is really really sick at the moment.  Every time she gets something it goes straight to her chest, so she either gets a very bad chest infection (they both get chest infections) or she gets bronchialitis together with bronchial asthma.

At the moment she is on one set of antibiotics 2 times a day, a steroid once a day, ventolin four times a day and an asthma preventer 2 times a day.

Last night we narrowly avoided a trip to the hospital because she started coughing fairly badly and then vomited.

Seriously I am so over it, I just wonder what I did to deserve 2 kids who are sick all the time.  It is really starting to get to me and make me question my ability as a mother, that I can't protect my kids from these sorts of things. 

It is really starting to make me a bit depressed about it all.

Anyway I just needed to vent and get some of it off my chest as it is really starting to do my head in.  Thanks for reading if you got this far :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    Re: Over it!!!!!
    « Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »
    I have no children so I can't offer any words of wisdom except "Hang in there!"  This is a good place to vent - I hope it made you feel a little bit better.

Offline Neo

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:21:16 pm »
    Hi Tracey! I have no kids, so not sure how I can help. But I really do feel sorry for you and your daughter: this is just horrible and unfair on all of you  >:(!!!!

I really hope things get better with the nicer weather. Hang in there, and remember: this has nothing to do with anyone having done anything to "deserve" this, it sadly just is. I had a very bad period in my life at some point, and I asked that exact same question to a friend of mine: what had I ever done to the universe (or anyone else for that matter!) to deserve all the negative stuff happening to me again and again (I swear, every time I got my head out of the water, I got dunked in again!), and she answered me: sometimes life throws these things at us because we can actually take it and go on - others would just give up...

Be strong, it WILL get better, the question is just when! And come and talk to us whenever you need to vent  :)

Offline pidgeon92

• Chicago IL
    • Nothin' but a hound dog.
      • View Profile
      • Carmen-Ashland Building
    « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:25:49 pm »
    It is certainly possible that colder climates affect them adversely. Have you considered moving?
       my e-readers: Kindle 2 Kindle 3 nook iPad Sony-950

Offline Tracey

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 07:44:40 pm »
    Andra and Neo - thank you.

Neo - unfortunately we are heading into the colder months here (Australia).  So I am staring down the barrel of a long winter I think.

Pidgeon - even though where I live (Sydney) it isn't that cold, yes we have considered moving to a warmer State.  We are actually going to move within the next 2 years to a warmer climate and hopefully that will help.  But that is a ways off yet.

Thanks for your support everyone.  It did make me feel a bit better to get it out.

Offline Meredith Sinclair

• Deep in the HEART of TEXAS
    • I am a TRUE Texas Girl...Missing My friend Dona...
      • View Profile
      • MySpace
    « Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 07:48:46 pm »
    I PM'd you Tracey... and AM praying for you. :)
    The Apprentice Diaries
    Hey, D'Lani Elliott is me!!! I helped Brendan write this book! Yay, Me!!

Offline MAGreen

• Okinawa, Japan
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 08:39:23 pm »
    I am so sorry to hear that Tracey. I know sometimes it seems like the world must hate you, but it really does sound like you are being a wonderful mother. You are doing everything you can to take care of your kids and that is all anyone can ask for. The sacrifices now will not last forever, but their effects will. Your kids will grow out of it and be healthy because of the work you are putting in now. Next time you get a break, even if it is only for a few minutes, do something just for yourself. Or, if you have a few dollars stashed away, get yourself a treat. It doesn't have to be something big, just something that will make you smile. Sometimes, when things get bad, I like to get a candy bar (my favorite is a frozen Twix) and I make myself a hot cup of premium coffee and go in any room where I can get away from everyone for a minute, and I eat my candy with yummy coffee. Such a little thing, but in 10 minutes I have recharged and lifted my spirits and I am ready to face whatever needs to be done again. Try it, you deserve it!
    K1-Primary, soon to be MIL's
    K1-Daughter's Kindle (Kylie)
    K1-Best Friend's Kindle (Courtney)
    DX-Grandpa's DX
    K3-My New Best Friend
    K3-My Other New Best Friend!
    Inmate #1451

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
    • Member #3406
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 08:43:30 pm »
    I'm sorry to hear that your kids get sick often.  If you lived i the U.S., you'd have enormous medical bills and/or ridiculously high insurance premiums. 

I hope that they don't sick so much from now on!
    New York, NY
    Flutist, retired legal word processing operator
    Readers:  Oasis 2, Kindle Fire 8 HD Plus, Paperwhite 2 (2013) (gave away), Fire HDX 8.9" (won't hold a charge now), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline 13500

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 09:18:42 pm »
    I understand your frustration. I remember feeling the same way when my kids were young. But I do have good news. Things do get better. There is a period of time when little kids just seem to get sick, no matter what you do for them. But please do not beat yourself up about it. Unfortunately, it's just this phase.

My oldest son used to get asthmatic reactions every time he caught even a cold. Something that helped us was to get a home nebulizer. That way, as soon as he started wheezing, we could begin treatments immediately, instead of having to go to the hospital. Maybe that is something you might want to look into.

Try to get even a half an hour for yourself to relax and clear your head. It can help.

Good luck and I hope your children feel better very soon.

Karen

Offline KindleGirl

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 05:28:41 am »
    Don't take it personally and feel that you are a bad mom. Unfortunately that is just the way it is with young children. I have 4 kids and it seems we were always at the Doctor's office for one reason or another. Just when I would get 1 or 2 of them over something then the others would come down with it. Then when that was over something else would come along. Sometimes it seemed like a neverending nightmare....but it does pass. One day I woke up and realized we hadn't been to the Dr. in months! It was so refreshing! Now we are to the point that we only need to go for check-ups and broken bones. :( 

As everyone else has said, just try to get breaks for yourself when you can. Just loving them and taking the best care of the girls is what makes you a great mom!!

Offline BTackitt

• Texas, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 09:47:02 am »
    I too feel for you. I have 3 kids, and although they are now teens and past most of the childhood sicknesses, I remember them well.. and we moved every 3 years because of being a military family. Allergies did us in as much as normal childhood sicknesses. And on top of those, my middle kid was VERY active, and a klutz.... so we spent alot of his younger years in the emergency room getting bones reset and cast. He was in the hospital more time than the rest of us combined.

Kids getting sick is normal, it is nothing about how you parent. If your girls share a room, they will pass stuff back and forth too.. when our boys stopped sharing a room about 6 years ago, they stopped getting sick as often.
    "If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty." ~Japanese Proverb
    Screensaver Images: http://s684.photobucket.com/home/B_Tackitt/index

Offline Kathy

• Lighthouse Point, FL
    • Member 376
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 10:00:40 am »
    Nothing new. I went through it when my son was a baby until he was about 6. Tubes in the ears, allergy shots, you name it, but it did get better as he got older. Now he is 35 and going through the very same thing with his 3 yr old and 18 month old.  :)

Offline cheerio

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 01:25:31 pm »
    I think I am in the group

Averaging an ear infection every month until she is old enough for tubes
    "Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"A successful person is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks that others throw at him or her." David Brinkle

Offline Tracey

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 05:19:56 pm »
    Thanks everyone. 

Rationally I know that it is something that kids go through and I am hoping that if they get sick like this now then when they go to school their immunity will have built up so much that they won't get sick as often.  It is just very very draining.

Thankfully my youngest seems to be slowly on the mend.  She is still horrible and sick but she seems to be getting a bit better.  Back to the doctor today cause she wanted to see her again to keep a check on her, but I am hoping that all will be good with her and it will just be a matter of getting some more medicine for her and that will be it.

Sometimes, when things get bad, I like to get a candy bar (my favorite is a frozen Twix) and I make myself a hot cup of premium coffee and go in any room where I can get away from everyone for a minute, and I eat my candy with yummy coffee. Such a little thing, but in 10 minutes I have recharged and lifted my spirits and I am ready to face whatever needs to be done again. Try it, you deserve it!

Now that sounds like a plan!!!!  I actually have a dessert I want to try but I keep forgetting to write the ingredients down so I can try it.  I might have to hunt the receipe down today - it is a Caramello Chocolate self saucing pudding - yum!!!!

Thanks again everyone, I can see a light at the end of the tunnel for the moment, just hoping that I keep heading towards it quickly.

Offline ayuryogini

• Northern CA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 02:02:30 am »
    I'm so sorry to hear your children have been ill;
    As a Pediatric Advice Nurse, I can tell you that it's not uncommon for children to have a lot of URI's (upper respiratory infections) when they are growing up; it helps to build up their immune systems.
    It is nothing you are doing as a mother; it sounds like you're taking very good care of them;
    It can feel like it never ends, but now that my daughter is 31, i can tell you, it goes by in the blink of an eye. When she was little she had recurrent ear infections and chronic asthma. Many children do grow out of asthma, but that doesn't make it any easier when you are scared to death when they're in the throes of it.
    I hope you're getting help from your family, and finding time to take care of yourself in the midst of all of this.
    Best wishes for improved health for you all.
    Currently reading House at Riverton by Kate Morton and listening to 11-22-63: A Novel by Stephen King

Offline nomesque

• Macleay Island, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Deadish Online
    « Reply #15 on: June 03, 2010, 03:44:40 am »
    Cripes, you must be exhausted :( I hope you do something nice for yourself and get a good night's sleep - everything looks so much worse when you're tired. Go the dessert! :D

Offline sbaum4853

• Albuquerque, NM
    • Spencer Baum - YA Fantasy Author
      • View Profile
      • Spencer Baum
    « Reply #16 on: June 03, 2010, 05:58:15 am »
    I have little kids.  It's exhausting and gut-wrenching when they're sick.  Mine are a little older than yours, and we just got through an unusually healthy spring.  That's the good news.  This will get better soon.  When they're really little like yours they can just be sick all the time.  It's certainly not a reflection of poor mothering -- on the contrary, you're the one who's working your tail off to help them mend! 

I had terrible asthma when I was little and had to take a litany of medicines.  Little by little, it got better each year, and by the time I was a teen, I was off all the medicines.  Hang in there!  No more important or exhausting job than parenting!

Offline geoffthomas

• Derwood, Maryland
    • Member 2434
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 07:03:31 am »
    Even though it has been a long time since I had little ones, I still remember the nights walking my little girl because she wouldn't sleep without wamth and motion.

When our three boys went to school it got worse.  One of them was constantly bringing something home from school.  So we went an entire winter when we had a cold all year.  Not the same one.  One boy would come home with a cold and pass it around (to his parents also) and then we would get better just in time for another one to repeat the pleasure.

It is enough to make you wish you had not tried to be a parent to start with.
    But hang in there, we all go through parental depression.
    And our children survive the things they are exposed to and become stronger.
    And we survive having to helplessly watch them be miserable.
    And then we get to watch them grow up strong and healthy and amaze us.

Just sayin......

Miss you, Dona, Jeff & Harvey! | Member since 02/27/2009 | e-books by Lynn Abbey, CJ Cherryh, & Jane Fancher
    TANSTAAFL (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch)

Offline Tracey

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 05:16:38 pm »
    Thanks everyone.  I really appreciate the support.

The good news is that my 3 year old is better, no more antibiotics for her.  Now just to keep her that way lol.

Now my 1 year old.....

We had to go back to the doctor yesterday with her.  The antibiotics that she had cleared up her chest but she still has a horrible croupy cough.  So they weren't working on that.  So we are now on different antibiotic to see if that works and then back to the doctor on Monday to see if it is getting any better.

She is off the steroid liquid, but is still on 2 puffers (one of which is a steroid that takes 3 days to kick in hence the steroid liquid.

Her cough is still horrible this morning and to top it all off, she has discovered tantrums  ::)  Not to mention the 3 year old tantrums we have had for the last 3 days as well!  It never ends.

Thankfully the health system here is such that we don't have to pay for our doctor visits, they are covered by our Medicare system (well our doctor bulk bills through the Medicare system).  I don't know what I would do if I had to pay to go to the doctor like I used to do at my old doctor.  I think it was like $40 per visit so that would have amounted to something like $4,000 last year alone...... :o

Anyway again, thank you everyone.  Your support and allowing me to vent has been a great help to me.  Kindleboards is truly a great place to be a member of.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement