Author Topic: Red Headed Book Lover (MERGED)  (Read 9764 times)  

Offline Doctor Barbara

• Tennessee
    • View Profile
    • Barbara Ebel, M.D. - Author
Re: Red Headed Book Lover (MERGED)
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 10:22:57 am »
This is very helpful that you all posted this and that I just found this thread.

So.....sure enough, said individual emailed me yesterday through my website. She promises great things, although the results she promises I already have without her!

As they say....buyer beware. She's got a nice little work-at-home scam going on there and I'm not going to be one of her fall guys.

Thanks again!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Christa_Tomlinson

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 07:56:38 pm »
    She's also making her way through the m/m romance crowd. I received the form email from her this weekend and I know several other m/m authors who have as well. I reported it as spam.

Christa Tomlinson | Website | Facebook | Newsletter | Instagram

Offline JB Rowley

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: May 07, 2018, 01:27:46 pm »
    I got an email from this lady today. Found this thread very useful. Many thanks to the OP for starting it.

Offline Selah J Tay-Song

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 08:24:44 pm »
    So glad I found this thread. I got the email as well, and did click through to the site. What tipped me off was the lengthy testimonials. Something about them seemed off to me, like maybe they were written by the same person? And if not, sad how many people have been scammed. I did some googling and found a blog post about her scam with a link to this thread. I will report the email as spam. Grateful to the OP for bringing this to people's attention.

Offline AliceS

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: May 09, 2018, 09:52:41 am »
    I got one, too. It happened right after a promo, so maybe she's signed up to all the newsletters and uses them as a starting point.

Offline DanielGibbs

• View Profile
    So I got an email out of the blue from https://redheadedbookloverblog.com/ today on my author email address, offering paid review services on her blog. (Nothing TOS violating for Amazon, the reviews are only present on the blog). I checked out the website, and while it does appear to be kept in good repair, and get a decent amount of traffic, I'm curious to know if anyone else here has used the service, and if so, did you get any positive sales traffic out of it that justified the investment? I'm kind of wary of that sort of thing just based on comments I've read here from other authors.

v/r

Daniel
    Strong and Couragous - EOTP Book 2: 40%

So Fight I - EOTP Book 3: 70%

Gates of Hell - EOTP Book 4: 5%
    Daniel Gibbs | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Online Blerg et al.

• View Profile
    So I got an email out of the blue from https://redheadedbookloverblog.com/ today on my author email address, offering paid review services on her blog. (Nothing TOS violating for Amazon, the reviews are only present on the blog). I checked out the website, and while it does appear to be kept in good repair, and get a decent amount of traffic, I'm curious to know if anyone else here has used the service, and if so, did you get any positive sales traffic out of it that justified the investment? I'm kind of wary of that sort of thing just based on comments I've read here from other authors.

v/r

Daniel

Yeah there was another post about it on here. Should be able to search for it.

Wyrmwind #2: 15%

Atlas #3: 10%

Gulf Coast Poetry: 90%
    I edit books! Here's my: | kboards editor thread | website

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 06:59:40 pm »
    I've merged in a new thread. Sorry for any confusion!

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

Offline StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Stephen Brennan.ca
    « Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 08:56:31 pm »
    Wow. Can't believe she's still this active after so many months. I guess it goes to show how many writers are out there to prey on. Be vigilant.

Stephen Brennan | www.stephenbrennan.ca

Offline DanielGibbs

• View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: May 16, 2018, 04:25:56 am »
    Thanks for the feedback! :) Scam dodged! :)
    Strong and Couragous - EOTP Book 2: 40%

So Fight I - EOTP Book 3: 70%

Gates of Hell - EOTP Book 4: 5%
    Daniel Gibbs | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Pacman

• View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 11:31:34 pm »
    Wow. Can't believe she's still this active after so many months. I guess it goes to show how many writers are out there to prey on. Be vigilant.

she/he told me she/he was doing 45 reviews a week, not a bad racket

Offline cmonk

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: June 04, 2018, 11:08:50 am »
    Chipping in because she wrote me this morning.
    I think she randomly messages any author in sight. A quick look at my GR or Amazon would have taught her that I'm an unlikely candidate, so my guess is that she found my website, clicked on "contact" without so much as a glance at my books, and copied-pasted her generic message.

Edit it: she doubled down with an email seconds ago. Man, she really loves my "work". (Not titles are ever cited)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 11:10:58 am by cmonk »

Offline StephenBrennan

• Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Stephen Brennan.ca
    « Reply #37 on: June 04, 2018, 11:36:08 am »
    Chipping in because she wrote me this morning.
    I think she randomly messages any author in sight. A quick look at my GR or Amazon would have taught her that I'm an unlikely candidate, so my guess is that she found my website, clicked on "contact" without so much as a glance at my books, and copied-pasted her generic message.

Edit it: she doubled down with an email seconds ago. Man, she really loves my "work". (Not titles are ever cited)

Still pains me to think about the review she wrote for me. Was obvious she didn't know my characters' names, much less what they did in the story.

Stephen Brennan | www.stephenbrennan.ca

Offline sheralynnramsey

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: September 28, 2018, 03:40:14 pm »
    I received her email, as well.  I've been researching her site to see if it was legit and found a tracking site that gives information on her website and blog.  The numbers are nowhere close to what she claims in the email.  My very next click led me here.  Thank you for posting about her.  I just published my first book.  My money is very tight and most months I struggle to pay my bills.  I tried to let the "organic" reviews speak for themselves but they haven't helped with sales.  I was hoping that her service would at least kick start it to get my name out there.  However, since money is hard to come by, I do the smart thing and research before I act.  I would have been devastated if I had scraped together her fee and then found myself staring at a generic or incorrect review.

I appreciate that you didn't want to ruin a reputation but when someone is scamming people, telling others of the danger is the only way to protect them from the same fate.  Thanks again.  You saved me from making a mistake I couldn't afford.

You know, come to think of it, she contacted me right after I joined some advertising forums on FB.  I wonder if she is trolling them for authors.

Offline josephinelieder

• View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: October 10, 2018, 07:15:42 pm »
    I wish I found this thread when she contacted me. I published my first novel this past August and she solicited me within days of it being published. I was flattered and a bit too eager to proceed with the review seeing as I am an unknown author. I attempted to look her up and check her stats, but ultimately I didn't know the right places to look and settled on relying on her testimonials to guide my decision. I ended up paying her the fee, which I wouldn't have had I known what I know now. She was always very polite in the emails, though some statements sounded like she was copy-and-pasting them and wasn't even addressing me personally. I, like many others, am low on money at the moment and am also still a student, so you can imagine how I'm feeling after learning all of this.

However, I did proceed with the review, and she just posted it tonight after a solid six weeks (her website states she posts within three to five...  :-X). While it was a lot of fluff, it does sound like she read the book or at least some of it. My question to you all is: would it be wrong for me to use a snippet of her review in the editorial section of my Amazon page? Could it damage my credibility? Please tell me honestly if this is a good idea or not, because after reading this thread, I am leaning towards that I shouldn't.

Josephine C. Lieder | Goodreads | Blog | Facebook

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: October 10, 2018, 07:31:20 pm »
    My question to you all is: would it be wrong for me to use a snippet of her review in the editorial section of my Amazon page? Could it damage my credibility?

Yes it will damage your credibility as the woman is well known as a paid reviewer/scammer, do you want to have that association tied to your books? Not to mention it will draw attention to the fact you PAID for a review which is a clear violation of Amazon's TOS. If someone points that out to Amazon not only will the review will be removed (which it should, as PAID reviews cannot be posted to Amazon or Goodreads) but you also risk your KDP account being banned for review manipulation.

Chalk it up as a rookie lesson and never EVER pay for reviews again unless it is a legitimate service that gets your book in front of readers like NetGalley.

Offline josephinelieder

• View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: October 10, 2018, 07:38:32 pm »
    Hi, Tilly. Thank you for the advice. I won't be posting it anywhere. I'll take it as a lesson learned.

Josephine C. Lieder | Goodreads | Blog | Facebook

Offline Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Atlanta, GA
    • Relentlessly Patient
      • View Profile
      • Fiction For Every Reader
    « Reply #42 on: October 17, 2018, 02:29:20 pm »
    Yeah, the email is really flattering until you get to her pitch. Everything about paying for reviews is skeevy; just stay a thousand feet away from any sniff of it.

I write worlds on paper, then destroy them.
    Jonathan C. Gillespie | Official Site | Twitter | facebook | Newsletter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement