Author Topic: AMS Ads Question  (Read 698 times)  

Offline TimMarquitz

• View Profile
AMS Ads Question
« on: December 21, 2017, 01:22:28 pm »
Hey, all. I know there are several AMS ads threads, but having gone through them, I don't recall seeing my specific questions asked, though could have easily missed them. So, apologies if I did.

Anyway, my questions are, does it make sense to run an AMS ad on a permafree book? Is it even possible? I completely understand there's no money to be made in return, but as a loss leader for a ten book series, there is potential for sell through of the other nine books. OR am I being optimistic in that regard, that the focused ad for a freebie will drive later traffic?

Thanks for your insight.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Atlanta, GA
    • Relentlessly Patient
      • View Profile
      • Fiction For Every Reader
    Re: AMS Ads Question
    « Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 02:17:04 pm »
    I'd be interested in the response to this too, as the first two installments of my Beacon serial are perma-free.

I write worlds on paper, then destroy them.
    Jonathan C. Gillespie | Official Site | Twitter | facebook | Newsletter

Offline UnicornEmily

• Quirky, wholesome, and fun young adult fantasy!
      • View Profile
      • The Works of Emily Martha Sorensen
    « Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 04:32:46 pm »
    Sure.  I'm doing that for my permafree book.  If it's worth paying to advertise it in any other way for you (book promotion sites, for instance), it's worth advertising it through AMS ads.

Offline Alvina

• View Profile
      • Forever Young Recipes
    « Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 08:32:31 pm »
    Sure.  I'm doing that for my permafree book.  If it's worth paying to advertise it in any other way for you (book promotion sites, for instance), it's worth advertising it through AMS ads.

With paying most of the promotional sites (if not all) is just like throwing the money down the drain nowadays. Pity me, it's only the AMS ads that I rely on to bring me a few sales every month!   :(

Offline azebra

• New Zealand
      • View Profile
      • You Say Which Way
    « Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 09:44:16 pm »
    It is possible indeed.

Offline Tizzy

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 10:04:55 pm »
    With paying most of the promotional sites (if not all) is just like throwing the money down the drain nowadays. Pity me, it's only the AMS ads that I rely on to bring me a few sales every month!   :(

So you don't recommend using any promo site if your book isn't free?

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 03:09:46 am »
    Hey, all. I know there are several AMS ads threads, but having gone through them, I don't recall seeing my specific questions asked, though could have easily missed them. So, apologies if I did.

Anyway, my questions are, does it make sense to run an AMS ad on a permafree book? Is it even possible? I completely understand there's no money to be made in return, but as a loss leader for a ten book series, there is potential for sell through of the other nine books. OR am I being optimistic in that regard, that the focused ad for a freebie will drive later traffic?

Thanks for your insight.

As others have said, YES, it's possible to run an ad for a permafree book.  And as you yourself have noted, the point in doing so would be to get your first book out there, and for every X number of free downloads, you'll see sell-through sales of your subsequent books.  If the whole point of having first book permafree is to act as 'loss leader' for the rest of the series, then it makes sense to advertise that free book.  I would only caution you to start with a low daily budget and monitor your bids every two days or so to see how they're performing.  (I've paused a few keywords that were costing me more than I thought necessary based on the low number of clicks.)
    Jena

KBoards.com

• Advertisement