Author Topic: Amazon music storage bad changes....  (Read 2039 times)  

Online gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon music storage bad changes....
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 09:59:23 PM »
I do use Amazon's Music Unlimited Service, but I also have quite a few albums that aren't available on Amazon.  Besides my Alexa speakers, I also have a few of the Sonos lowest price speakers, which I bought about a year before the Alexa devices came out, and I'm able to stream my own music on those. A few months ago, they did a software update which lets you link the Sonos and Alexa speakers and use some (but not all) voice commands to control the Sonos speakers.

If music is in the cloud (streaming services, Pandora, TuneIn Radio, etc.) you can use all the voice commands. For your own music not available on streaming services, you still have to start the music playing using the Sonos app on a computer or mobile device. (Wherever you have your music stored on the hard drive.) Once the music has started, you can use voice commands to go to the next or previous track, change the volume, check what's playing, etc.

Sonos also has a newer speaker out, called the "Sonos 1" which has Alexa built in. That's currently $199. (I don't know if it can handle all Alexa functions like an Amazon device.) They are selling the older version, the "Sonos Play 1" for $149. That doesn't have Alexa built in, but if you already own Alexa devices, there's a way to link them as I mentioned above. I do realize this requires spending money on new hardware, but if you are able/willing to do that, it does provide one way to stream your own music.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon music storage bad changes....
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 03:50:19 AM »
I do use Amazon's Music Unlimited Service, but I also have quite a few albums that aren't available on Amazon.  Besides my Alexa speakers, I also have a few of the Sonos lowest price speakers, which I bought about a year before the Alexa devices came out, and I'm able to stream my own music on those. A few months ago, they did a software update which lets you link the Sonos and Alexa speakers and use some (but not all) voice commands to control the Sonos speakers.

If music is in the cloud (streaming services, Pandora, TuneIn Radio, etc.) you can use all the voice commands. For your own music not available on streaming services, you still have to start the music playing using the Sonos app on a computer or mobile device. (Wherever you have your music stored on the hard drive.) Once the music has started, you can use voice commands to go to the next or previous track, change the volume, check what's playing, etc.

Sonos also has a newer speaker out, called the "Sonos 1" which has Alexa built in. That's currently $199. (I don't know if it can handle all Alexa functions like an Amazon device.) They are selling the older version, the "Sonos Play 1" for $149. That doesn't have Alexa built in, but if you already own Alexa devices, there's a way to link them as I mentioned above. I do realize this requires spending money on new hardware, but if you are able/willing to do that, it does provide one way to stream your own music.

I like world music.  I have app. 50 Putumayo CDs.  Putumayo doesn't allow their music to be streamed.  I didn't and don't want to upload that many CDs into Amazon.  I don't even know if they would play in that case because of Putumayo's restrictions.  I have them in iTunes on my MacBook Pro.  I can bluetooth my MBP and Show and play the Putumayos through the Show with limited commands.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.