Author Topic: How Long Do Your Kindle Ereaders Last?  (Read 6133 times)  

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
Re: How Long Do Your Kindle Ereaders Last?
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2018, 07:05:59 AM »
Just to notemy second kindle, which was going strange, seems to have recovered.

Ned Marcus | website | facebook

Offline Fran Feliz

• USA
  • Writer of YA/NA + LGBTQ Lit
    • View Profile
    • Author Site
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2018, 04:47:02 PM »
I only have the one that came out in 2010 or 2011 (gen 4?) when it was the latest, but not the Touch. It still works great, but regretfully, I rarely use it because of having to fiddle with the annoying joy buttons, especially when typing or scrolling through the settings. I prefer Touch technology. So, I've been using the Kindle app on my phone for now and have grown adapted to it. Now, I miss using an e-reader, so I may still consider the Paperwhite (I don't need the most expensive one). It looks so cool. I'm not against not having any illumination, but it probably does beat having to get a book light, and my room lamp is too far. I'm just not sure if the e-ink quality lowers slightly because of the added illumination, if it's even noticeable, but I haven't done enough research yet to find out.

I see others here have reported long-lasting older Kindles, and that's reassuring to know. I've only ever had my one Kindle. :)
Fran Feliz: WordPress | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Glen Robins

• San Francisco Bay Area
    • View Profile
    • Glen Robins Books
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2018, 11:04:04 PM »
I've had my Kindle for nearly 3-1/2 years. Never had a problem. I keep about 15 books on there and only have a limited number of apps, most of which I could delete because I never use them. I spend probably about 2 hours a day reading.
I'm inspired by RallyKid - he takes his on backpacking trips?!? I'm glad to hear there's a fellow backpacker here in the group. Do you have a special waterproof storage case? Or how to protect it from water? And how do you recharge it? Or does your battery hold out for the whole week by shutting down between uses?
My problem is, I'm usually too tired from hiking all day to do much reading. Last trip, I was averaging 22 miles a day with lots of elevation gain, so I got about 5 minutes of reading done on my phone before falling asleep.
Chosen Path: 20%
Glen Robins | Blog | Facebook page | Goodreads | Twitter | LinkedIn | BookBub

Offline Shapeshifter

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2018, 02:07:52 AM »
I have three.

K2 - 2009 leather? cover with a strap that kept it closed.
I was overly careful, I took it most places. No glitches of any sort, still works.

KK - 2011-13 (will look later) Oberon leather cover.
It pretty much goes everywhere with me. I've dropped it, I don't know how many times, I am really really clumsy, and on all sorts of surfaces.
The only issue is that the bottom half of the screen goes completely black occasionally, that started happening after about a year or so, I've dropped it more after it started than before so I'm not really sure why.
It goes back to normal by putting it into sleep mode, occasionally it works just changing the page, rare that I've had to turn it off completely.

Oasis 7" - no cover yet, doesn't leave the house. I have dropped it a few times, onto carpet though, as it hardly leaves my bedroom either.

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2018, 07:50:17 AM »
I've had my Kindle for nearly 3-1/2 years. Never had a problem. I keep about 15 books on there...

:o :o :o 15 books? How? I have about 500.

Ned Marcus | website | facebook

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2018, 08:24:00 AM »
It is challenging enough reading 15 books at a time.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2018, 09:46:21 AM »
[off topic]
I've probably got a couple hundred books on any given kindle, and something around 3000 in my account. I am actively reading anywhere from 1 to 4 at a time -- usually not more than that.

For me, the great thing is that I CAN have all those books 'handy'. A month or so ago my sister in law was visiting and was kind of at loose ends. She'd mentioned she'd borrowed a couple books from the library to read and had finished one on the trip down and didn't care for the other one once she started it so she had nothing to read. That's not a problem I will ever have again. ;D

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Elk

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »
I, too, have hundreds of books on a given Kindle at any time.  Not out of necessity, only because it is easy. I suspect this is common.

Five to ten would easily address my contemporary reading needs, including some in queue.

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2018, 06:16:15 AM »
It is challenging enough reading 15 books at a time.

That is about how many I keep on my Kindle too, maybe even less. For me, it just works with my system of organizing and/or organizing my books. Particularly books in a series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hamerfan

• Totoville
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2018, 08:56:43 AM »
Mine lasts until Amazon releases a new model...
What he said!  ;D
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti, Formula One driver-