Author Topic: So, what are you reading in 2018?  (Read 6066 times)  

Offline EthelindaW

• MN
    • View Profile
    • Ethelinda Writes
Re: So, what are you reading in 2018?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 05:50:09 PM »
I've read a few books so far this year, so far my favorite fiction was the third book in the Dragonoak series, Gall & Wormwood, by Sam Farren.

For non-fiction, The Gift of Fear by Gavin de Becker was fascinating, and I also enjoyed Into Your Tent, which is a biography of my favorite old school sci-fi writer, Eric Frank Russell.
The Wizard of Suomen: 100%

The Witch: 70%

The Swordsman: 25%
Minnesotan fantasy author, subsists on hot chocolate
Ethelinda Webb | blog

Offline cameronwaynesmith

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Cameron Wayne Smith
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2018, 07:21:56 PM »
I just started Mistborn a few days ago. Great book so far. Wish I had more time to read!

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 09:43:14 AM »
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X. Kendi

Natasha Holme, Author
Lesbian Crush Diaries series

Website | Goodreads | Twitter | Facebook

Offline anguabell

• View Profile
    • Goodreads
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2018, 02:42:56 PM »
West with the Night by Beryl Markham, an intrepid, eccentric and unconventional woman of many talents. Great book, wonderfully written. I enjoyed every word.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »

I just started it and am enjoying it so far.
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline Avis Black

• View Profile
    • Avis Black on Wordpress
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 07:23:59 PM »

Qadesh 1300 BC: Clash of the Warrior Kings (Osprey Military Campaign Series)

This was the first battle in human history of which we have enough documentation for a historian to write more than just a few sketchy notes about. I read it because I wanted to find out what happened, and it turns out Ramses II of Egypt won the battle against the Hittites but lost the peace.  Ramses' forces were so damaged afterwards that he had to retreat and leave the field to his enemies.  Furthermore, the land of Canaan, which was then under Egyptian rule, erupted in revolt when they realized how weak the Pharaoh was.  All in all, Ramses had a very bad war.

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 10:21:58 AM »
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2018, 06:36:19 AM »
I finished Practical Magic and a reread of The Stand.

Then I read The Signs of the Zodiac series by Vicki Pettersson.

and Soulminder by Timothy Zahn

and now I'm starting on The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender

Offline RobertLCollins

• Kansas
    • View Profile
    • One Kansas Author - Blog
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 07:03:45 AM »
Last night I finished The Summer Tree, the first book in the "Fionovar Tapestry" series. It was a quite interesting and surprising story. It looks like I have another series that I'm going to have to read at some point. For now, though, I'm going to pause for a few days, and then start on something lighter...

Offline MichelleB675

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2018, 03:17:06 PM »

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Senz

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline Avis Black

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2018, 01:18:47 PM »

The White King: Charles I, Traitor, Murderer, Martyr by Leanda de Lisle

This one's pretty good.  I've read another book by the author and liked it.  De Lisle is pro-Charles, though it's plain from the text that Charles made the mistake of shaking down the nobility and other wealthy men for a foreign war they didn't want to pay for, and he lost a lot of goodwill with this illegal maneuver.  He also supported Archbishop Laud's efforts to have all the original Catholic church lands, lost in the Reformation, returned to the English Protestant church to strengthen it. 

This second proposal enraged the nobility, because those lands had ended up in their hands, and by Charles' reign the nobility had owned them for a century.  De Lisle indicates the English Civil Wars began as an elite vs. elite fight, with religious issues being only part of the quarrel.  However, religion gradually become more prominent and took over the quarrel later.

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2018, 08:39:29 AM »
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline RobertLCollins

• Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2018, 01:29:40 PM »
Last night I finished Etiquette & Espionage, the first book in Gail Carriger's "Finishing School" series. Quite fun and breezy, much like her "Parasol Protectorate" series. I have the second one on my iPhone, so I think I'll read it next, and get to the other two in that series later.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 07:06:13 PM by LauraB »
Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline Natasha Holme

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • Lesbian Crush Diaries
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2018, 07:16:54 AM »
1Q84 by Haruki Murakami

Natasha Holme, Author

Offline RobertLCollins

• Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2018, 01:26:05 PM »
Earlier today I finished Curtsies & Conspiracies, the second book in Gail Carriger's Finishing School series. It was a rollicking good time. A good bit of action in the story. A character from the Parasol Protectorate series popped up, which was fun.

I'll get back to the series a bit later. For now, my plan is to read a longer novel next...

Offline bruno.carlos.santos84

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2018, 10:25:37 AM »
Is Karin Slaughter stuff any good?

Enviado de meu Moto G (5S) usando o Tapatalk

Offline RobertLCollins

• Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2018, 06:41:12 AM »
Yesterday evening I finished The Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, the first book in her "Farseer Trilogy." It was quite an interesting and engaging novel. The world was unique, as was the magic, and the story was fairly compelling. I hoping I can get to the rest of the trilogy sometime. For now, though, I have one more book that I bought over the holidays to read.

Offline RobertLCollins

• Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2018, 05:06:16 PM »
Today I finished Throne of Jade, the second Temeraire novel. I enjoyed it, though it wasn't quite as fast-paced as the first book. Still, I do want to continue with the series. It's interesting to read a fantasy series set in alternate-history Napoleonic Wars. My next read will be a novella that's given me the idea for an upcoming story I'll be writing soon.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2018, 01:22:45 PM »
Last night I finished Etiquette & Espionage, the first book in Gail Carriger's "Finishing School" series. Quite fun and breezy, much like her "Parasol Protectorate" series. I have the second one on my iPhone, so I think I'll read it next, and get to the other two in that series later.
You reminded me to read another in the Parasol series by this author. I read the first and really liked it. But like many other books and series, I forget. I started like 300 series, so I guess that is normal.  ;D. Sometimes I need a push, or be reminded to move it up the list. Its why I like Fictfact. So I can put them in order and fish a series out from the bottom.

I am reading this one right now, 11th in the Inspectory Lynley series.
I love love this series, but some of the entries are tough to read. But still total page turners. Brilliant. I thought previous ones are long, but this one? Woah.

When you read 368 pages and are still only a 3rd into a book.  :o :o :o :o :o

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline dcwjr_73

• Durham, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2018, 11:21:02 AM »
The Eternity Code by Eoin Colfer. Third book in the Artemis Fowl series.

Donald White

Tales of Faygaea

amazon.com/dp/B00VYXVL4Q

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2018, 08:36:40 AM »
Panic Room by Robert Goddard. I've read pretty much all of Robert Goddard's books over the years and although he still writes pretty good mystery / thrillers, they're not as good now as the early ones were when their originality often had me saying 'wow' at regular intervals. This one irritated because it constantly swapped between a third person POV and a first person present POV (my least favourite). Also in the Kindle version the latter was in a fixed font that I didn't like and unlike the rest of the book couldn't be changed.

An Argumentation of Historians (The Chronicles of St Mary's Series Book 9)
The Battersea Barricades: A Chronicles of St Mary's Short Story both by Jodi Taylor. I know some of the US fans of this series have stopped following it after the problems with formatting of a previous book which is a shame as the saga of St Mary's continues apace. The first of these is a full length novel, a large part of which sees Max cut off from the others, but still managing to get in trouble as usual. Although the story it covers is completed for the most part, it still finishes on a bit of a cliffhanger after a bang on the head (don't ask) gives Max a moment of insight - so now I'm (not so) patiently waiting for the next book. The second is a short which covers the back story of some of the older ladies at St. Mary's and fills in some of the details only previously hinted at. There's also another short coming out in July I believe.

The King's Justice (A Stanton and Barling Mystery Book 1) by E.M. Powell. A Kindle First choice for May (in the UK at least). Enjoyable enough historical mystery, though a bit slow going to begin with and a lot of exposition at the end - telling rather than showing. An interesting insight into 12th century justice, some of which seems totally ridiculous and unacceptable from our modern viewpoint, but nevertheless forms the basis for today's judicial systems. Not top notch but a pleasant enough read.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:17:14 AM by Linjeakel »
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Offline RobertLCollins

• Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2018, 06:37:03 AM »
Yesterday evening I finished Michael Kohlhaas by Heinrich von Kliest. It's an influential German novella published around 1810. Among the works inspired by it are the novel Ragtime and the film based on it. I came across the story at TV Tropes. The plot has inspired a fantasy story I'm planning on writing, so I decided to real the novella.

It's quite the read. It's very much a story of how corruption among the nobility causes rebellion among common folk. There are also instances of mistakes made that end up complicating the story further. Yet there's also this mysterious fortune teller, who may actually be able to see the future, and how that complicates the plot towards the end, which gives a fantasy twist to an otherwise realistic work. I found the ebook in a collection of German classics at Project Gutenberg.

I've read through all the books I acquired last year. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to take another run at a classic I paused in my reading, or if I'm going to buy some new ebooks. I have writing to do, so I'll take some time to think about it...

Offline Avis Black

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »
I just finished:

No Cake, No Jam: Hardship and happiness in wartime London

This is a memoir of Marian Hughes' childhood. She and her siblings grew up with a sociopathic mother and lived a hand-to-mouth existence, skipping out on rent payments, living in a field for months on end, and being put in orphanage and taken out again by their awful mother.  Meanwhile, the children are forced to steal food and money to survive.  But in the end, the children escape the clutches of their mother and are able to make more normal lives for themselves.  It was good, dramatic reading.  It was heartening to see children able to survive this sort of background.