Author Topic: I do not consent to the current ToS which was modified without my consent  (Read 2630 times)  

Offline JRTomlin

• Leaving the forum
    • View Profile
Text removed
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 10:05:40 pm by JRTomlin »
I do not accept the Terms of Service which were instituted without notification. I do not consent to VerticalScope reproducing content I posted on this forum in any newsletter, website, or another forum. I've requested account deletion; however, the owners of this forum REFUSE to delete my content. Further, I repudiate any association with ads that are sexist, racist, and demeaning to women which are now appearing on this site.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    Re: Advertising for perma free
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 04:12:05 pm »
    Oh, heck yeah it's worth it! Um, dependent on what your sell-thru is like anyways.

I think these are all worth paying for (not in order of best to worst though!) and finding a drip advertiser that works for you is also helpful. BookBub CPM, AMS, and Facebook are all good for a steady dribble.
    ReadCheaply   35
    EreaderIQ   35
    KND   20.99
    GenrePulse   12.75
    BookBasset   7.99
    ebooksoda   15
    BookDoggy   8
    FreeBooksy   85
    Riffle   30
    eBookDiscovery   14
    ReadingDeals   29
    ebookhounds   20
    FKTIPS   25
    ManyBooks   25
    Fussy   -
    BookGorilla   50
    RobinReads   60
    BookBarbarian   60
    ENT   35
    bkinights   11
    BookSends   125
    MyBookCave   -
    BookBotBob   -
    « Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:15:25 pm by C. Gockel »

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
    C. Gockel | Website

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
      • View Profile
      • Marti Talbott's Books
    « Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:33:18 pm »
    I haven't had a lot of luck with some of the smaller promo sites, and because I am wide, I don't buy from sites that only promote to Amazon.

If you're not familiar with this site, it's worth opening an account and looking at the site below to see if others are having any luck with the smaller sites.

http://www.jasonbladd.com/indielistersmembers/

Author of over 50 novels   www.martitalbott.com

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 06:09:56 pm »
    Forgot to say, my box set recently did really well on One Hundred Free Books.

C. Gockel | Website

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 12:34:15 am »
    If you're doing free books via BookBub CPM, make sure you bid way under what they suggest (e.g $3 or $4 per thousand impressions). That way, even if your CTR is mediocre, the clicks are still cheap. Make sure you're targeting all retailers, as clicks to Kobo et al. tend to be cheaper. I've never advertised a permafree book on AMS, but you can set the bidding to $0.10 or less, which should get you some cheap clicks and, with the book being free, a relatively high conversion rate. No way of telling, but I'd expect 50 - 70% conversion with a decent cover/blurb, so if it's $0.05 a click, that's about $0.07 - $0.10 a download, which is reasonable.

From C. Gockel's list, FreeBooksy/ENT/Robin Reads/BookBarbarian will provide 80% of the downloads, maybe more, so if you're feeling lazy or don't want to book everything, you can just use the essentials. You can try Robin Read's Featured Book of the Day if they're booked in Mystery for the foreseeable future. They claim to only accept 1% of books for that, but they're far more lenient in my experience. BookBarbarian might be out (they're fantasy/SF only, and I seem to recall that you write historical mysteries?). I'm assuming the $125 quoted is for BookSends' Free Book of the Day; they let you use your Amazon affiliate tag, which helps recoup the cost. Definitely enter that if you book it. The Free Book of the Day is a bit hit or miss, though, for the price. Might be worth rolling the dice anyway if your series has high sellthrough and you're looking for another semi-big hitter. You can always use their standard genre listing, which I think is $75 for mysteries. If you have more money or want to push things higher, you can fill the other sites in as desired.

FreeBooksy is surprisingly powerful if you've never run the book with them before; I got 4500+ downloads for a thriller the other day. And it's super easy to book, without any waiting period, so you could start with that. For $85 it's probably going to do 2x - 3x the downloads of BookSends for $125.

The other thing you can do with a permafree is enter it into cross promos as your reader magnet. Then you build your list and distribute hundreds - maybe thousands - of copies of the first in series to readers while you're doing it. Win-win. You can do that concurrently with any promo sites you're running, so that's a nice way to get extra mileage out of your permafree.

One final thing: when you do get a BookBub, make the end date at least a month away (or longer, if you plan to stick with permafree for awhile). I had a permafree BookBub on Nov 20th and set the end date as Dec 20th. Since they leave it on the site until the deal's expiration date, downloads continued to come in at a rate of 30 - 50 a day on Amazon. As soon as it hit the 21st, the book's ranking and daily downloads began to plummet. Clearly much of the download traffic was coming from BookBub. It's now down to 10 - 15 downloads a day, and sinking rather rapidly.

Nick

Offline Rex Jameson

• Speculative fiction dork
      • View Profile
      • Speculative Musings
    « Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:35:27 pm »
    Thanks for the information on this. I need to stop pretending that my free series starter doesn't exist and revisit some of these sites.

Offline Stelliswolfe

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 06:28:38 am »
    I'm ran an ENT promo which was disappointing, only about a thousand downloads on Amazon and 50 on Kobo. A couple of dozen each on B&N and iBooks. It could have been worse but I really expected better than that from ENT.

I have my doubts about Freebooksy. It would have to go on their "Literary Fiction" list and... meh. I'll think about it. Robins Reads is out. They don't have a Historical Fiction or a Literary Fiction category. I didn't check but isn't BookBarbarian SFF only? That's my memory but maybe it's changed. Marketing is never the fun part.

I've used Freebooksy a couple of times, ending up with over 1k downloads. For the price, I think they're pretty cool.
    Ruben Stelliswolfe | Website | Twitter

Offline Marian

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 07:05:23 am »
    I'm ran an ENT promo which was disappointing, only about a thousand downloads on Amazon and 50 on Kobo. A couple of dozen each on B&N and iBooks. It could have been worse but I really expected better than that from ENT.

I have my doubts about Freebooksy. It would have to go on their "Literary Fiction" list and... meh. I'll think about it. Robins Reads is out. They don't have a Historical Fiction or a Literary Fiction category. I didn't check but isn't BookBarbarian SFF only? That's my memory but maybe it's changed. Marketing is never the fun part.
    It's surprising that Robin Reads doesn't have either Women's Fiction or Literary Fiction. Women's Fiction is big category that they've overlooked.

Offline Bob Stewart

• View Profile
      • Street Car Mysteries
    « Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 04:12:26 pm »

Wow. It's been a while since I was wide with a permafree. But I don't ever remember a promo coming out that lopsided. That's like 40:1, Amazon:B&N (or Apple.)

Offline A. N. Other Author

• Staffordshire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 02:31:56 am »
    For a small d/l boost you can also submit permafrees to sites that don't charge. They don't guarantee a feature when you don't pay, of course, but it can't hurt to try.

Author Marketing Club has this tool that makes subbing to free sites fairly simple.

http://authormarketingclub.com/members/submit-your-book/

Or for $29 you can use this tool which is slightly more user-friendly but, y'know, you pay a small fee to use it.

http://bookmarketingtools.com/submission-tool-features

There was a guy on Fiverr who did the same thing for you but I can't find him now.

Ebookbooster submits to 45+ sites, but again it's paid ($35) and there's no guarantees of a feature.

http://www.ebookbooster.com/

I find these work intermittently, although never earth shattering results.

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 09:41:59 am »
    I'm ran an ENT promo which was disappointing, only about a thousand downloads on Amazon ...

Oh, for the days that ENT gave me 1,000 downloads. Sigh. I generally insist on $10==100 downloads. ENT usually does that for me.

I also find the free sites to be useful, and have an assistant that submits to all of them periodically.

C. Gockel | Website

Offline mike h

• View Profile
      • Herman_Santangelo
    « Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 03:42:40 pm »
    Oh, for the days that ENT gave me 1,000 downloads. Sigh. I generally insist on $10==100 downloads. ENT usually does that for me.

I also find the free sites to be useful, and have an assistant that submits to all of them periodically.
    Call me uniformed (or anything else you like) but what does ENT stand for?

Offline Rex Jameson

• Speculative fiction dork
      • View Profile
      • Speculative Musings
    « Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 11:55:43 pm »
    Here is a breakdown of my experience with free book promoter services in downloads per dollar for a free novel in the space opera/fantasy genres. YMMV.

Update: At the request of Booksbutterfly, I have removed the DL/$. According to their administrators, my book was a rare underperformer, and I do not want to give the impression that this is a normal circumstance. According to Booksbutterfly, over 90% of all submissions hit the 1k download mark in their first push. I did not see this, but my book was apparently an outlier. The administrators seem to be hard-working, diligent people. My book was probably just not appropriate for the service.
    « Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 02:47:24 am by Rex Jameson »

Offline kathrynoh

• Melbourne, Australia
      • View Profile
      • Kathryn O'Halloran
    « Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 05:01:26 am »
    Here is a breakdown of my experience with free book promoter services in downloads per dollar for a free novel in the space opera/fantasy genres. YMMV.

Just out of interest, did you do any analysis of sell through per promo site?

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 12:07:02 pm »
    Just out of interest, did you do any analysis of sell through per promo site?

I don't do anything too granular, but ENT has always shone when it comes to sell-thru. I Love Vampire Novels used to have amazing sell-thru, too, though I haven't used them in a while. All the other sites I listed have just been normalish. BookBub actually has the worst sell-thru in my experience, but the absolute numbers of downloads are so high that it doesn't matter.

C. Gockel | Website

KBoards.com

• Advertisement