Author Topic: Series book club question  (Read 15682 times)  

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
  • Have you got a flag?
    • View Profile
Series book club question
« on: January 16, 2009, 12:38:03 pm »
So, since at least two of the books we're reading in the book klubs are series books, what are we going to do next? 

I mean, now that we're all hooked on Jamie, are we just going to leave him behind?  Or are we going to go on with the Outlander series later?

Because I have a real feeling that we're all going to be hooked on Eric after Dead Until Dark too.  And vampires can be extremely persuasive.

Any suggestions?  Other comments?  Is that a rabbit over there?

~robin
"One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries."
A.A. Milne

"In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Luvmy5brats

• Enabler Extraordinaire
    • Eastern Shore, MD
      • View Profile
    Re: Series book club question
    « Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 12:40:41 pm »
    I'm all for keeping them going

Offline Neversleepsawink;)

• California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 12:47:48 pm »
    So, since at least two of the books we're reading in the book klubs are series books, what are we going to do next? 

I mean, now that we're all hooked on Jamie, are we just going to leave him behind?  Or are we going to go on with the Outlander series later?

Because I have a real feeling that we're all going to be hooked on Eric after Dead Until Dark too.  And vampires can be extremely persuasive.

Any suggestions?  Other comments?  Is that a rabbit over there?

~robin

You might want to read the series by Melanie Nowak.....Almost Human 1-3.   Its only $9.99 on Amazon.  LOVED IT!!!!  Here is a link
    --added Kindleboards link.  Note: book includes 3 volumes  Betsy

She is already working on #4.  :)
    « Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:28:33 pm by Betsy the Quilter »

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 01:25:19 pm »
    Gertie has already said she might be good for a few more of the Outlander series. 

Dead Until Dark started because of inquiries about the current book in the series, and I suggested we might want to start at the beginning, so my intent always was for DUD  ::) to be the Southern Vamp Book Klub or eventually the Vampire Lit Book Klub.  Doesn't mean that you have to keep leading it Robin, although you're welcome to continue as long as you want.  Or until there's an uprising.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
    • Have you got a flag?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: January 16, 2009, 01:31:59 pm »
    Doesn't mean that you have to keep leading it Robin, although you're welcome to continue as long as you want.  Or until there's an uprising.

I had hoped to continue leading it, but perhaps I'll reconsider from where I'll lead it.  "Georgia" seems like too much of an undefendable space, so maybe I'll see if I can locate a secret bunker, and lead the series from there.
    "One of the advantages of being disorganized is that one is always having surprising discoveries."
    A.A. Milne

"In a library we are surrounded by many hundreds of dear friends imprisoned by an enchanter in paper and leathern boxes."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline ScottBooks

• Germantown Maryland
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 01:40:59 pm »
    "Georgia" seems like too much of an undefendable space, so maybe I'll see if I can locate a secret bunker, and lead the series from there.

Sherman certainly found it so.  Cheney is done with his bunker, perhaps you could use that?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 02:04:07 pm »
      Cheney is done with his bunker, perhaps you could use that?

If you can find it. . . .undisclosed location, ya know. . .

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 02:53:01 pm »
    I had hoped to continue leading it, but perhaps I'll reconsider from where I'll lead it.  "Georgia" seems like too much of an undefendable space, so maybe I'll see if I can locate a secret bunker, and lead the series from there.

I'll loan you my fidelius charm handbook.  You can trust me to be your secret keeper. 

Yes, Betsy, I'll do Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager for the Outlander Klub, as long as the members want to continue.  Then I'll pass on the baton. 

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
    • Have you got a flag?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 02:58:49 pm »
    Cheney is done with his bunker, perhaps you could use that?

undisclosed location, ya know. . .

Funny you should both mention it.  We have real reason to think that Cheney's bunker is in Georgia, and it's weird b/c I lately had exactly the same conversation on another, apparently unrelated board.  Hmmmm. Have the spies already found me?  That's not good.

Thanks Gertie, you're going to be a lifesaver!  I'll keep doing the Southern Vampire mysteries until there's no more audience or until the Eric comments get out of hand.
    A.A. Milne

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 03:18:15 pm »
    Funny you should both mention it.  We have real reason to think that Cheney's bunker is in Georgia, and it's weird b/c I lately had exactly the same conversation on another, apparently unrelated board.  Hmmmm. Have the spies already found me?  That's not good.

Thanks Gertie, you're going to be a lifesaver!  I'll keep doing the Southern Vampire mysteries until there's no more audience or until the Eric comments get out of hand.

One of his earlier bunkers is about 60 miles outside Wash DC; some friends of mine lived next door to it and had to be interviewed by government people.  I think that one was eventually abandoned as too many people knew of it.  Maybe he moved to GA after that.

Betsy

Offline kindlevixen

• Las Vegas
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Vixen
    « Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 03:49:51 pm »
    Eric is quite addicting.....

A vampire lit club would be fun :)

Offline Dori

• Indiana
    • Dori is #10 x 10
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 03:50:41 pm »
    Are Jamie and Claire in more books???

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 04:40:21 pm »
    I'll loan you my fidelius charm handbook.  You can trust me to be your secret keeper. 

Yes, Betsy, I'll do Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager for the Outlander Klub, as long as the members want to continue.  Then I'll pass on the baton. 

Oh, yes, Gertie, that would be wonderful if you would do Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager. Thanks so much for all you have done for Outlander. You are doing a wonderful job. It's really adding a lot of enjoyment to my first time reading this book.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 05:08:58 pm »
    Are Jamie and Claire in more books???

Yes, there are six books so far with two more to come.  The next one will be issued in the Fall.  It's a good thing it's on Kindle.  The weight of the last three books is enough to qualify as a workout. 

Oh, yes, Gertie, that would be wonderful if you would do Dragonfly in Amber and Voyager. Thanks so much for all you have done for Outlander. You are doing a wonderful job. It's really adding a lot of enjoyment to my first time reading this book. 

Awww, that's so nice.  I'm just glad that y'all are enjoying the book and having a good time.  Not to mention that this Klub is giving me an excuse to read the book again. 

Offline ScrappingForever

• Maryland
      • View Profile
      • Author Michael Hicks
    « Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 05:55:28 pm »
    I am all for continuing both series. Of course, I haven't started DUD yet, but it sounds like I'm going to get hooked in no time. ;) And of course, I love series. :)
    Jan

Publicist for Author Michael Hicks
    http://authormichaelhicks.com

Vampyre

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 04:30:58 am »
    The bunker is under my house...oh crap is that voice to text on?  Damn Vista!.....>click<

Offline tlshaw

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 11:38:05 am »
    I am definitely up for continuing with Jamie and Claire. Yes, I have read the series, but I am enjoying Outlander so much, I have to keep going.

Offline Suzanne

• N. Huntingdon, PA
    • No. 336
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 02:09:55 pm »
    Confession is good for the soul. I cheated. I'm almost done with Outlander! I simply cannot stop reading this great book!

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
    • Have you got a flag?
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: January 27, 2009, 07:05:44 am »
    Confession is good for the soul. I cheated. I'm almost done with Outlander! I simply cannot stop reading this great book!

It's okay, you're among friends here.  I already started the next one.
    A.A. Milne

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline jah

• new york
      • View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: February 11, 2009, 02:55:23 pm »
    Robin
       You're doing such a great job, You can count me in on the next dud book klub.
    « Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 03:03:27 pm by jah »

Offline ConnieK

• Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 03:14:06 pm »
    Yes - Please keep going with both series!  I never seem to be in the right spot of either Outlander or the Southern Vampire series to jump into the discussions, but I am hooked on both and love reading the questions and everyone's interpretations.  At some point I'll be in the right spot to jump into a discussion.  I never would have known of either author/series if it hadn't been for these boards. 
    Connie (#1479)
    My books on Goodreads

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: February 11, 2009, 04:21:45 pm »
    Yes - Please keep going with both series!  I never seem to be in the right spot of either Outlander or the Southern Vampire series to jump into the discussions, but I am hooked on both and love reading the questions and everyone's interpretations.  At some point I'll be in the right spot to jump into a discussion.  I never would have known of either author/series if it hadn't been for these boards. 

As long as you're reading and enjoying, that's all that matters.  We'll be starting Dragonfly in Amber in two weeks.

Offline ConnieK

• Chicago
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 05:29:42 pm »
    We'll be starting Dragonfly in Amber in two weeks.

That's great!
    Connie (#1479)
    My books on Goodreads

Offline Kindgirl

• Ohio
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 10:02:31 am »
    I have a question regarding the book klub(s)... I read the synopsis of Outlander and see that this is the kind of book I usually love to read so would very much like to join the book club for the series as soon as I get my Kindle (due in Feb 25th!)  Is it okay for me to play catch up and join in the group or do I just need to wait till the next book gets started?  I know I'll devour it once I get my Kindle, I completely stopped buying books once I ordered it and am going through reading withdrawls. 

Also, should I wait to purchase the books from the links to Amazon from the website, so that Kindleboards gets a cut of that money like some of the other items I've seen?  I plan get the entire series, especially if we will be doing a Klub for them, but will wait and get them through Kindleboards if that's the case! 

Thanks  :D
    « Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 10:08:57 am by Kindgirl »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 11:20:29 am »
    The Klubs are very informal. . . jump in and out as you read. . . some are keeping right up, some have gone way ahead, and some (me!) have gotten behind.  (In my defense I started working AND I'm trying to keep up with all 4 ongoing Klubs -- clearly failing miserably, but having fun!).  But, if you don't want spoilers, I wouldn't suggest reading the discussion threads ahead of having read that section. . . .

Ann
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
      « Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 02:18:43 pm »
      Yes, what Ann said. 

The only think we ask is that you discuss the chapters within that chapter thread.  We'll be having our last Outlander discussion this coming week, but feel free to go back to the previous discussions and post as you read the book. 

At the beginning of each thread are a series of questions you may choose to answer or you may choose to comment on what others have said.  Discuss any point you wish outside the questions.  There are many people here who love the books and we'll keep an eye out for your posts. 

We'll be starting to read Dragonfly in Amber on 2/25 and discussing the first chapters on the following Monday, so feel free to jump in when you catch up. 

Ann, I hope you'll be able to continue reading and enjoying.  I'll be watching the previous discussion for your posts, too.  You know me.  I'll discuss Outlander at the drop of a hat. 

Offline BrassMan

• South Texas
      • Rubber Room #960
        • View Profile
        • The Only Blog for an Extraterrestrial Woman (?)
      « Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 06:45:27 am »
      I've been wondering what to do about series too, naturally enough. I guess we'll see how the Distant Cousin (Kousin?) klub goes and what folks want to do, and then do that. Flexible is good, right?

Al Past | Ana Darcy's Blog

Offline Bacardi Jim

• View Profile
      « Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 02:00:56 am »
      Sooooo... despite the vote, Book Klub readers have to get through 14 more books before we ever get a Princess Bride klub?  I'm just checking, trying to figure out when I need to start preparing.
      At first Ford had formed a theory to account for this strange behavior. If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, he thought, their mouths probably seize up.
      After a few months' consideration and observation he abandoned this theory in favor of a new one. If they don't keep on exercising their lips, he thought, their brains start working.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
      « Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 06:39:47 am »
      Sooooo... despite the vote, Book Klub readers have to get through 14 more books before we ever get a Princess Bride klub?  I'm just checking, trying to figure out when I need to start preparing.

I don't see why you have to wait.  I'm in three Klubs right now and there's no reason why Klubs can run in parallel.  The Whiskey Rebels only has two more weeks to run.  In Her Name is about half done. 

Jeff isn't going to do Gone For a Soldier, which was going to start on 4/2.  Why don't you see about filling that slot? 

The whole idea of having multiple Klubs running at one time is to cover several genres at once so members can pick and choose. 

C'mon, Jim.  Don't be shy.  Step up to the plate.   ;)

Offline bosslady402

• the artist at work
        • View Profile
      « Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 06:41:33 am »

Maybe there should be another poll - if there are enough people who are not part of the current series book klubs, and/or would not mind doing both, you could start anytime. The Outlander series, assuming we do all 6 books and then the 7th when it is published, will be going well into October, and I can't imagine we'd want you to wait that long.

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
      • Have you got a flag?
        • View Profile
      « Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 06:46:28 am »
      C'mon, Jim.  Don't be shy.  Step up to the plate.  

Jim?  Shy?  Our favorite Jim?  That we all know and love (and fear?  a little?)?   Jim who doesn't drink blue margaritas?  Tell you what:  if you start the Princess Bride club, I'll come in and answer questions every week.  Really!  with real answers and everything!  And not  scrap of verse in sight (I'm a prose kinda girl anyway.).  

You could probably start the klub the same time we start gertie's new klub and mine, and post the first section of reading next week.  Betsy and Harvey are very good about enforcing the "no beating the facilitator with sticks" rule.  All I would ask is that you don't jack my Wednesday 9 pm chat slot.
      A.A. Milne

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
      « Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 06:55:25 am »
      Jim?  Shy?  Our favorite Jim?  That we all know and love (and fear?  a little?)?   Jim who doesn't drink blue margaritas?  Tell you what:  if you start the Princess Bride club, I'll come in and answer questions every week.  Really!  with real answers and everything!  And not a scrap of verse in sight (I'm a prose kinda girl anyway.).  

Now that's an offer Jim can't refuse.   ;)  That makes two of us.  Where Robin and I lead, others will follow.  They're used to it. 

Offline robin.goodfellow

• Georgia
      • Have you got a flag?
        • View Profile
      « Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 07:11:37 am »
      Where Robin and I lead, others will follow.  They're used to it.

If there was a doubtful smiley, it would be here now.  But I digress.  I think Jim should start the Princess Bride klub forthwith.  Posthaste.  Immediately.  And if he doesn't, I'm just going to start stalking him around the board, posting "INCONCEIVABLE!"  every time he posts something.  Until Harvey kills me with a stick.

Also, I meant to say this earlier and didn't:  Ann, I'm pretty sure nobody here thinks you're miserable or a failure.  I mean, HOLY COW!!!  You were in FOUR book klubs at the same time!!  And in the case of the DUD klub, it was a genre that you don't even like that much!  I couldn't keep two straight, and I can barely remember from week to week what it is we should be discussing in the klub I'm (allegedly) leading!  rofl, there's a reason that every week I remind everyone that "the shower scene is not in this book".  And that reason is:  this is either the shower scene book, or it's not.  I recognize the days of the week that way too:  it's either donut Wednesday, or it's not.  As long as you're enjoying yourself, that's really all that matters.

That, and that you've checked your stick at the door.
      A.A. Milne

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
      « Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 07:21:04 am »
      If there was a doubtful smiley, it would be here now. 

Only because we are already Klub leaders.  Guess I didn't 'splain that very well.   :D

But I digress.  I think Jim should start the Princess Bride klub forthwith.  Posthaste.  Immediately.  And if he doesn't, I'm just going to start stalking him around the board, posting "INCONCEIVABLE!"  every time he posts something.  Until Harvey kills me with a stick.

Sounds like a plan.  I hate waiting.

• Alexandria, VA
        • View Profile
        • Betsy True Designs
      « Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 06:56:22 am »
      Sorry, in February I was off dreaming of palm trees and managed to miss this thread completely.  We are going to be starting some new book klubs this spring now that we've got a fair idea of how well received they are (VERY) and a good structure.

Betsy

Offline meodingu

• View Profile
      « Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 10:25:17 pm »
      Sorry, in February I was off dreaming of palm trees and managed to miss this thread completely.  We are going to be starting some new book klubs this spring now that we've got a fair idea of how well received they are (VERY) and a good structure.

Betsy

bạn hy cố gắng ln .... chc bạn thnh cng ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement