Author Topic: SfiFi fanatic needs help  (Read 356 times)  

Offline Cacofonix

• View Profile
SfiFi fanatic needs help
« on: February 03, 2018, 12:23:10 AM »
Firstly, I'm a writing/publishing virgin, so be gentle! :o

I'm really more of a reader than a writer. These last few years, however, I'm reading the good stuff faster than people are writing it. So rather than complaining about it, I'm writing the sort of hard SciFi that I want to read. I'm aiming at SciFi so hard it should hit the floor with a clang if dropped, but specifically not Marines in Space or Battleships vs. Aliens. The story is about advanced AI (good & bad), exotic future tech, nature of the universe, the Fermi Paradox, and the future of humanity.  Plus a hint of Fantasy from alien magic.

If you've managed to get this far without losing the will to live - great! You may be able to help me. I need alpha & beta readers who care about the sort of SciFi I care about, to make sure I'm not just going off into the weeds. Or are we a dying breed doomed to extinction?  :'(

Offline Free Range Editor

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Free Range Editorial
Re: SfiFi fanatic needs help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 10:20:08 AM »
Hello,

Welcome to the KBoards, home of the friendliest and most knowledgeable indie writers and editors on the Internet.  Make yourself at home and ask anything. You'll get thoughtful, useful answers.

Here's wishing you success with your writing.  I'm sure you'll be able to find willing beta readers.  Drop by my website when you're ready for an editor. :)

Julie

The Independent Editor for the Independent Author
Free Range Editorial | Facebook

Offline Cacofonix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 12:51:54 AM »
Hi Julie -

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I dropped by your website and was happy to learn that "Its your world, and I wont try to change that." As a writer who is both very inexperienced and very self-opinionated, that is reassuring to me (and ominous for you, of course).   ;)

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 01:16:21 AM »
The story is about advanced AI (good & bad), exotic future tech, nature of the universe, the Fermi Paradox, and the future of humanity.  Plus a hint of Fantasy from alien magic.

Sounds great to me.  :D

I don't have time to beta read your stuff, but I wish you the best of luck.  And welcome to kboards.  :)

And Julie, I like your avatar.  Farscape was great.  Just remember: never swallow the dentic!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S20quHd-_A" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S20quHd-_A</a>

;)   8)
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Free Range Editor

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Free Range Editorial
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 11:05:41 AM »
...and never worry about whether they're friends or foes, we don't have any friends!

The Independent Editor for the Independent Author
Free Range Editorial | Facebook

Offline KWills

• Somewhere in the middle
    • View Profile
    • Penna Scriptum
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 01:46:54 AM »
I need alpha & beta readers who care about the sort of SciFi I care about, to make sure I'm not just going off into the weeds.

If you're still looking for alpha/beta readers, then I'm available as of next week. I'm sending my own (literary fantasy) novel off to readers this weekend, and will need something to keep me from obsessing over what sort of feedback I'm going to get. And what better way than to fill up my mind with someone else's story?

I like reading John Wyndham and Isaac Asimov, and have recently discovered Greg Egan. Does that put me in your intended audience?
Sometimes you're the bear, sometimes you're the fish. And sometimes you're the photographer, and then the whole thing's hilarious.

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 07:14:02 AM »
Firstly, I'm a writing/publishing virgin, so be gentle! :o

I'm really more of a reader than a writer. These last few years, however, I'm reading the good stuff faster than people are writing it. So rather than complaining about it, I'm writing the sort of hard SciFi that I want to read. I'm aiming at SciFi so hard it should hit the floor with a clang if dropped, but specifically not Marines in Space or Battleships vs. Aliens. The story is about advanced AI (good & bad), exotic future tech, nature of the universe, the Fermi Paradox, and the future of humanity.  Plus a hint of Fantasy from alien magic.

If you've managed to get this far without losing the will to live - great! You may be able to help me. I need alpha & beta readers who care about the sort of SciFi I care about, to make sure I'm not just going off into the weeds. Or are we a dying breed doomed to extinction?  :'(

I admit, I burst out laughing when I read this. Why?  It's because this is exactly what has launched many writing careers. People who read so voraciously, that the ideas begin to overflow in their head and they decide to write their own stuff rather than wait for someone else to finish their own stories.

GO FOR IT! :D Make it happen! And welcome to the ranks.

(And don't forget the edit!)
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 11%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline Cacofonix

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 02:51:00 AM »
KWills:
Love John Wyndham and Issac Asimov, two of my favorite SfiFi authors. If they were still writing, I'd still be reading. My story is more IA than JW, but not really like either. I'd be very happy to send you a partial first draft, now running at 57K words (target c.75K), if you can spare the time. As a fantasy writer, you might possibly be amused (or appalled?) by the way I introduce a hint of classic fantasy into what is meant to be an (ultra) hard SciFi story. But to quote another of my favorite authors, Arthur C Clarke, 'Technology, if sufficiently advanced, would be indistinguishable from magic'. I can give you a bit more background when I send it through. What's the best way to get this to you, e.g. email? And will pdf format be OK?

WDR:
Thanks for the welcome and words of encouragement.  If my post made you laugh, just wait until you read my story   ;D