Author Topic: Using IngramSpark and CreateSpace both  (Read 1674 times)  

bardsandsages

Re: Using IngramSpark and CreateSpace both
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2018, 11:20:17 am »
No, mobi is not a different format than epub when it comes to ISBNs. You only need one ISBN for ebooks. Let's not muddy the waters more than they already are! Lol

Yes and no.

IF you are using an ebook distributor (not an aggregator like Smashwords or D2D, but an actual wholesale distributor) who deals in different formats, then YES, each format has to have its own ISBN.

Remember the purpose of the ISBN: It is specifically to identify different versions of a book so retailers know what they are ordering. If Jane Doe Digital Bookseller sells PDFs on her site, she needs to know the version of the ebook she is getting is the PDF version. Or if a retailer ONLY sells epub format and not mobi, then they need to know which format to order.

Most of the aggregator services like Smashwords automatically know which formats their partners accept, and since those partners are just listing almost everything, it doesn't matter. But if you are working with an actual WHOLESALER and hae retailers who are ordering specific, individual titles, then those retailers will need to know which version they are getting.

So, yes, for all practical purposes, most indies don't need a separate ISBN for ebooks (heck, you don't technically need one at all. It is a waste of ISBNs if you are using an aggregator who can give them to you for free anyway!). But technically, the industry norms for wholesale channels would require a separate ISBN for each format, just like you would have a separate ISBN for trade paperback, hardcover, and mass market formats in print.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
    « Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 11:25:35 am »
    Interesting, because the Library and Archives of Canada doesn't have an option for either epub or mobi. It's just "electronic book". There's not even an option for "other electronic book" (while there is for book format, audio format, etc).
    « Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:27:27 am by ruecole »

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Offline Emma Kathryn

• View Profile
      • Emma Kathryn Writer and Variety Artist
    « Reply #27 on: February 08, 2018, 01:39:16 pm »
    Thanks for your help Julie. Wow... that's a lot of information! Good to know for the future.

Offline MClayton

• Florida
      • View Profile
      • Melinda Clayton
    « Reply #28 on: February 08, 2018, 02:10:27 pm »
    No, mobi is not a different format than epub when it comes to ISBNs. You only need one ISBN for ebooks. Let's not muddy the waters more than they already are! Lol

I hate to step in and muddy the waters  :-\ , but they're already pretty muddy. According to the International ISBN Agency:

"In order to reach the widest possible market, a publisher or retailer may make a particular e-book title available as multiple product options. Although the editorial content will be the same, if a specific device or software is required to read the e-book or different usage constraints that control user functionality are offered (e.g. copy, print, lend etc.) then each separate version will be a distinct product. Each distinct product that is available must be identified by its own ISBN as it is a separate publication. Thus, a separate publication is normally defined by a combination of product form features or details and usage constraints."

They later go on to say:

"What about proprietary formats (e.g. Amazon Kindle)?

Some retailers are the sole providers of e-books in a proprietary format that can only be bought through their website. An example is Kindle format e-books which are only available from Amazon. In this particular case as there is one source of supply, the retailer does not require ISBNs and so it is not strictly necessary for the publisher to assign an ISBN to this particular version. Publishers can assign an ISBN if they wish, for example if it is useful for their own purposes or they want that version to be listed in third-party databases of available e-books. As these platforms are generally not interoperable, if ISBNs are assigned they must be unique to each version so as to avoid identification problems if those versions should later become available through third parties."

https://www.isbn-international.org/content/guidelines-assignment-e-books

So, my understanding is that epubs and mobis do need different ISBNs, if you want them to have ISBNs at all, but I'm open to different interpretations if anyone else wants to come play in the mud.

Edit:  Ah, I see Julie beat me to it!
    « Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:13:58 pm by MClayton »

Melinda Clayton | Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon page

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
      • View Profile
      • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
    « Reply #29 on: February 08, 2018, 02:59:07 pm »
    I'm wondering if they've changed that since I first published back in 2014? Because back then I was told to use one ISBN for all ebooks. *shrugs*

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

bardsandsages

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2018, 05:30:00 am »
    I'm wondering if they've changed that since I first published back in 2014? Because back then I was told to use one ISBN for all ebooks. *shrugs*

It of course depends on who you ask. If the person doesn't realize that there are, in fact, very different digital formats that don't play nice with each other, then they may assume all ebooks are the same format. But mobi, epub, and PDF are fundamentally different formats. A Mobi file is not going to work on a Nook organically. I can't open an epub file in Adobe Acrobat organically. Many Kindle devices can't open PDFs. So in situations where it is imperative that the user know which format they are buying, that ISBN becomes important.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement