Author Topic: Is there an app that is comparable to scrivener for a chromebook?  (Read 3600 times)  

Offline SawyerPentecost

• View Profile
Sorry, by my macbook air just died, and I'm not about to replace it with another one. They are fine machines, but my son's chromebook has a really good keyboard and battery life is amazing. So I am looking for something comparable. High hopes, but hey, I figured I would ask the pros. I guess I can just make Evernote work, but not if there is a better option.
Thank you!
SP

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline setherd

• Sunny Florida
      • View Profile
      • hollen.org
    Re: Is there an app that is comparable to scrivener for a chromebook?
    « Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 03:37:25 pm »
    I've wondered myself but never found anything beyond google docs. A chromebook has all the specs needed for writing, just needs the right software.
    Maybe someone else knows of something new!?
    Take care,
    Seth

Offline C.Cross

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 03:48:45 pm »
    I love my chromebook and use it pretty much exclusively for writing.

So far the only workaround that I've found in my google searches is to have Scrivener installed on your PC/Mac and then remote in from your chromebook. Doesn't sound ideal to me so I'll stick with google docs for now. Haven't tried using evernote, would be interested to hear if it works well for others.

Offline SawyerPentecost

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 04:02:36 pm »
    I don't recommend Evernote, but it works in a pinch. Google docs will be fine, I'm sure.

Offline Jacob Stanley

• Georgia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 04:46:08 pm »
    I recently switched from using an Alphasmart Neo for most of my writing to a chromebook, and after experimenting with several things, I ended up using a few different apps combined together.

First, I do my writing on Writer: The Internet Typewriter.

I keep one big rolling document there for the whole week, which helps me keep track of my writing productivity, and I use hashtags to create headings between scenes and snippets. I write everything using markdown, so all I need is plain text to keep track of my italics and bolding. I like this app because of its minimalist design, and because it has a page-count estimation feature, in addition to the word count. So far it hasn't lost any of my work, although I haven't been using it long so I can't really vouch for it with much confidence yet. They do seem to have some neat safety features. I noticed that if you delete a bunch of text from a document, more than a few hundred words, it'll automatically create a new document with all the old text still present, just in case you didn't mean to. Overall its a much nicer place to do your initial writing than google docs. There's no text lag, and it just feels like a nicer place to get into a creative flow IMO.

When I finish writing a scene or snippet, I copy it, and use workflowy as a place to store the drafted pieces, so that I can view my whole project and shuffle things around from my chromebook. Workflowy is basically for creating lists, within lists, within lists. I create a heading for each project, then list-items inside those headings for scenes, chapters or whatever.

I store the actual text in workflowy using the note feature. if you let your mouse hover over the little dot next to each list-item, you'll see an option to add a note. This gives you a text box attached to the list-item where you can put as many words as you want. These can be expanded or contracted, and you can zoom in deeper so the note fills the whole screen. It's very easy to move list items around and reorganize them however you like, and it's easy to edit notes.

It's kind of hard to explain all the features of workflowy here (just end up with word salad), but if you mess with it, you'll see how it can be useful. If it had a word count feature, it'd be an awesome writing tool all by itself. I'm seriously considering using it as the main app for my second draft. I went ahead and signed up for a monthly subscription, which you'd have to do if you wanted to use it in a serious way, because the free version is too restrictive.

At the end of each week, I paste my big file from The Internet Typewriter into a free PC program called writemonkey (another great writing app, works well all by itself, and I have used it as my main writing app in the past). Lately I'm using it mostly to turn my markdown into rich text. Basically you paste the text with markdown formatting into writemonkey, highlight it and select "Copy as RTF," then paste it into scrivener.

After that, if you've been using hashtags to create headings, you'll have a big scrivener file with bolded scene titles that you can easily split up into separate scenes, and store in whatever project folders you want. I may not use scrivener at all on my current projects except for the final formatting and publication stages, but I'm not sure about that yet, so I'm storing everything there just in case, to save myself the work later.

It's kind of a long and winding path when describing it, but it's actually pretty efficient in practice.
    « Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:44:40 am by Jacob Stanley »

Offline SawyerPentecost

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:50:40 pm »
    That's not a bad deal. $50 isn't terrible! Though it does hurt to spend more on a writing than Scrivener!

Offline Jacob Stanley

• Georgia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 04:55:48 pm »
    On Typewriter, I just went with the 5 dollar a month option. The lifetime subscription would be a better deal probably, but I wasn't willing to commit to that much. If I'm remembering correctly, the free version is also pretty decent, and you may not need to upgrade.

Offline SawyerPentecost

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 05:01:02 pm »
    Also, do you pair your chromebook with your phone?

Offline Jacob Stanley

• Georgia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 05:06:59 pm »
    No, just my chromebook. But the neat thing about all these Internet apps is I could theoretically write on any computer anywhere, or any device with internet access and a way to input text. That level of flexibility is pretty cool.

One key for me was getting away from writing on rich-text based tools, and using plain text with markdown. I got in the habit of writing that way while using my alphasmart, and once you get comfortable with it, you can write on anything that gives you a simple text box, and then easily transfer it to other apps already formatted for reading. So apps like workflowy, which isn't really a word processor, become useful because they give you a way to store text.

Offline Speaker-To-Animals

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 05:23:17 am »
    If you're not going to use something with the features of Scrivener, why not just use Google Docs? It's limited, but it works fine.

Offline double head

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 05:58:28 am »
    I write in Google Docs.
    Then save as a doc file or email it to myself and copy and paste into Scrivener.
    Google Docs includes a dictation feature (ala Dragon) that is pretty accurate right from the beginning. Your chromebook mic is sufficient.

Offline calypso_writes

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 11:06:56 pm »
    I just wrote my own app.
    I wasn't in love with several of the ones out there and didn't like having to do work in many apps.
    I got to make it look and act just like I wanted it to.

Offline Tobias Roote

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 11:30:42 pm »
    I use Jutoh, it's pretty good across all platforms including running it off a USB memory stick. Below is a link about installing it on Chromebook.

http://www.jutoh.com/chromebook.htm

The makers (Anthemion) also have anothr product that is highly Scrivener-looking here.

http://www.writerscafe.co.uk/download.htm

I've used this as well, but I'm a seat-of-the-pants writer so have no use for planning and layout. Just scroll down to the version that you want and follow the install instructions.
    Want to sell your books on a dedicated Sci-Fi website? Click the link and join up here.

SF Book Review

Offline Scrapper78

• Connecticut
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 05:06:35 am »
    You can also get a proWritingAid license and do your writing there. It's not the best for organizing, but it's brilliant for edit-as-you-go pantsers. When you are done you can just export  the text to any other piece of software you want. If you have scrivener on a desktop, you can drop the completed text in and then compile.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 07:10:02 am »
    What about just a small PC laptop? They have ones that are the same size as Chromebooks, but they run Windows, and you could use PC Scrivener on it. On Bestbuy, they have them for a couple hundred dollars.

Offline Gwen Hayes

• View Profile
      • Website
    « Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 07:53:50 am »

What features are you looking for in Scrivener, specifically? I don't think there is an all in one solution, but there are  some things that you can string together. For instance, if you are looking for something to organize your planning, Plottr is nice: https://www.plotmynovel.com/
    In the end, I just changed my process and write in Google Docs and use D2D for formatting. I've been trying out a combination of a free wiki and a Google spreadsheet to organize my story bible.

Critique and Editing Services Fresh Eyes Critique and Editing Services

Offline LifeisLit

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 11:28:28 am »
    Hm, I am using Google Docs. I have noticed that there are ways to organize your writing on there, but I've yet to tamper with it. I wish Scrivener would come out with a cloud-based system or at least an app. Let me know if you find anything.

Online unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 05:35:18 am »
    Have you thought about yWriter? It's something like Scrivener, free to use on computers (I think there's a charge for the phone type). It doesn't compile like Scrivener, but you can export a few different file types.

I read something about a Scrivener-type thing called Manuscript, or something like that. I didn't look into it, but you could look around. There are others out there, each has their own fans.

Offline Brevoort

• Calgary
      • View Profile
      • The Disaster Tourist
    « Reply #18 on: August 25, 2019, 11:44:16 am »

There are a lot of writing programs out there for Chromebooks but nothing that performs the same functions as Scrivener, and certainly not for compiling.

The most convenient word processor I have found is Google Docs. It can be used offline on a Chromebook if you want and it will convert from the Gdocs format to TXT, DOC, PDF, etc. The voice to text feature in Gdocs is pretty decent and dead simple to use but unfortunately it doesnt handle transcription from external recordings.

On my Chromebooks and Android smartphone I make use of Scriveners Sync With External Folder feature. It seems to be little known although it has been part of Scrivener forever.

It allows you to export the contents of a Project, together with its folder structure, as a TXT, DOC, or screenplay compatible file to a cloud service. On the Chromebook end I just download the Project folder intact and work on it on or offline. When done I upload the entire folder and overwrite the cloud version. When I next open Scrivener it will make the changes I made along with any new material I have added to the Character, Location, Notes, Comments or whatever folders I have in Scrivener. If something gets screwed up, not to worry. Scrivener automatically takes a snapshot of the original Project before uploading to the cloud.

For editing, proofing, or working within a Scrivener Project on a Chromebook I find Sync With External Folder very useful. If I am writing a new piece that will eventually end up in the project, or just some story notes, I will most often just do that in Google Docs either on or offline, and add the converted Doc file as TXT to the cloud Sync folder.

Microsoft Word is available to Android and Chromebook machines through an Office 365 subscription. I have it, but rarely use it. I find it needlessly complicated when saving and converting and just generally not a nice program to work with. Your mileage might well vary and I think that there is a trial version of Word for Android. For a text program on the Cbook I just use the inbuilt TXT for Chrome utility.

I do a great deal of travel to war zones and humanitarian disasters and I only use Chromebooks on those trips. If my laptop is destroyed, lost, or stolen, the replacement cost is much much lower than my MacBook. Also, my data is locked down hard in the Chromebook system and very difficult for someone to compromise. To restore after a full loss all I have to do is log in on a new Chromebook with my Google credentials and all, ALL, of my Android and Chromebook Apps together with their settings and of course all of my data is there in a minute or two.

Apparently, and I do not know this from direct experience, it is possible to run Scrivener on a Chromebook under Linux. I know nothing about Linux so if you are interested in trying that route you should try some web searching. Although there has been talk of an Android version of Scrivener my understanding is that it is a long way off and might never happen.
    Rick Grant
    Calgary

KBoards.com

• Advertisement