Author Topic: The Audible Romance Pay Per Minute Rate for Q4 2017 is $0.0004778  (Read 16065 times)  

Offline 39416

• View Profile
Re: The Audible Romance Pay Per Minute Rate for Q4 2017 is $0.0004778
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2018, 04:01:09 pm »
Im not in audible or romance so none of this affects me, but Im really confused as to Amazons strategy. Theyve managed to lock up I think its 10,000 romance books into this program, but given how its playing out, surely the more experienced authors will never sign up another book. So, did they do this just to lock up 10,000 indie romance books? How do they intend to attract new content? Are they assuming youll all get over it and think a little something is better than nothing? And even if authors do think that, when it comes to audio the cost of production is high, not to mention the narrators wont like this either. How is anyone supposed to earn back their investment, much less make profit?

I dont understand what Amazon expect to happen next.

Probably run a contest offering publication to the winner, but ya gotta put your book into Audible to enter.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Allyson J.

• South Carolina, USA
    • Writer. Traveler. Adventurer
      • View Profile
      • AllysonJeleyne.com
    « Reply #76 on: March 08, 2018, 06:19:56 pm »
    Im not in audible or romance so none of this affects me, but Im really confused as to Amazons strategy. Theyve managed to lock up I think its 10,000 romance books into this program, but given how its playing out, surely the more experienced authors will never sign up another book. So, did they do this just to lock up 10,000 indie romance books? How do they intend to attract new content? Are they assuming youll all get over it and think a little something is better than nothing? And even if authors do think that, when it comes to audio the cost of production is high, not to mention the narrators wont like this either. How is anyone supposed to earn back their investment, much less make profit?

I dont understand what Amazon expect to happen next.

Agreed. This is disastrous from every angle. It sucks for authors, who won't be putting any more work into the program. It sucks for narrators, who won't agree to royalty share because of the program. And it must suck for Amazon/Audible, because readers will burn through 10k books, get bored, and cancel the subscription.

I am humiliated for putting a series into this program.

Victorian, Edwardian, and Jazz Age romance

Offline sela

• View Profile
    « Reply #77 on: March 08, 2018, 07:38:48 pm »
    Yes, that's the last audiobook I put into the program.
    The Author Formerly Known As Sela

Offline Rachelle Ayala

• Love is always in the air.
      • View Profile
      • Rachelle's Window
    « Reply #78 on: March 08, 2018, 08:11:34 pm »
    A note about the bonuses was sent, but no amount was posted. Just expect to receive it in the same account you receive regular royalty distributions [like that is so important]. And it is relative to how much customers listened to each title.

Rachelle Ayala | Blog | Author Website

Offline TheLass

• View Profile
    « Reply #79 on: March 09, 2018, 04:17:05 am »
    I just don't understand how anyone could have signed up for this in the first place.
    A 7 year contract, no way to terminate early, no idea what the rates will be. 7 Years?!

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #80 on: March 09, 2018, 04:45:15 am »
    Check your bank accounts. I received my bonus. It was $140. I only made $5 in the program (some of my stuff only went live at the tail end of the quarter). Its more than I thought they would dole out and nowhere near enough.

Amanda M. Lee

Offline double head

• View Profile
    « Reply #81 on: March 09, 2018, 04:52:18 am »
    If Amazon won't LET YOU OUT of the deal, then
    what Terms of Service can you violate so Amazon will KICK YOU OUT

That might be the way to go

Offline CassieL

• View Profile
    « Reply #82 on: March 09, 2018, 05:30:24 am »
    I got $25 and I had no minutes for the period.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.

Offline Vidya

• View Profile
    « Reply #83 on: March 09, 2018, 06:27:30 am »
    If Amazon won't LET YOU OUT of the deal, then what Terms of Service can you violate so Amazon will KICK YOU OUT

I would assume one way would be to post the same audiobook on various different sites.

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
    « Reply #84 on: March 09, 2018, 09:01:34 am »
    Payment hits banks this morning. I got a bonus over 5 times the original amount, which adds up to a fairly nice payment and appears to be what they are giving. Problem of it being a bonus, of course, but it does seem to signify that they're serious. I don't know how they thought people wouldn't be stunned originally, though.

As to why people put books in it--because if Amazon is doing something anyway that will greatly affect the landscape, you need to choose to be in, or to lose out. Most people put backlist in. Some authors have said their audio sales have remained steady since the subscription plan started (whether they had books in it or not), but many people's audio sales dropped way off, especially of backlist. That has been true for me. (It's not 7 years BTW, it's remainder of contract. That could be more like 3 years or less for folks like me with older audio. It would be 7 years if you put in frontlist, however.)

This payment does help, as I just wrote a check yesterday for almost $4,000 for my latest ACX book, and I had been wondering whether to go ahead with the contract for the next one. Now I'll probably gamble again and do it.
    « Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:23:47 am by Usedtoposthere »

Offline Rose Andrews

• U.S.A.
      • View Profile
      • Rose Historicals
    « Reply #85 on: March 09, 2018, 09:43:45 am »
    The more I read this thread, the more I realize how big time a bullet I dodged. It's honestly sickening that the value of creative work is being trashed on like this. Maybe I'm going too far in stating that Amazon doesn't understand or much less care about how hard authors work. I will avoid subscription programs at all cost from now on.

To our fellow authors stuck in this mess: I'm so sorry! I hope there is a way out of the program for your titles but at least for now you can refuse to put more in.

Offline Rose Andrews

• U.S.A.
      • View Profile
      • Rose Historicals
    « Reply #86 on: March 09, 2018, 09:53:51 am »
    I read the contract very carefully and knew exactly what I was getting into with this program.

My books are not well known and these particular sweet romances were languishing in ACX, despite my best attempts to promote them on social media.  I thought it would be a good way to get more exposure for the books and maybe get something back for my narrators, who had agreed to do a royalty split.

I also plan to put my first books in each series into the program.  If listeners like them, they can buy the next ones or read them in ebook or paperback.
    I apologize for the double post but I'm too lazy to go back and edit my previous post. :D

Lorri's comment in bold is the reason why audiobooks are starting to look more like a hassle to this author. I feel terrible that my titles are not making money in ACX and that the narrators basically worked for free. I have no idea what to do about this except to keep writing and marketing. It seems unfair that no only are authors getting screwed, but narrators too and their equipment is expensive! Anyway, this discussion is giving light to some serious issues in our business.

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
    « Reply #87 on: March 09, 2018, 10:03:58 am »
    Many narrators already would not do royalty share, since Audible changed the contract terms. (Used to be up to 85% royalty. I have five books under those terms. Big difference between a 65% royalty and a 40% one.) Now there is much less upside potential. Although the bonus-included payout was quite good and about what I would have expected, I would guess that many more narrators will get out of royalty share entirely.

The narrator really matters. If you cannot get a great one, I would not do audio.

Offline 39416

• View Profile
    « Reply #88 on: March 09, 2018, 10:10:15 am »
    Did the narrators get a matching bonus?

Offline GoneToWriterSanctum

• Run away from this site as if your hair is on fire and your ass is catching...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #89 on: March 09, 2018, 10:27:00 am »
    I don't consent
    « Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:51:54 am by Gave No Consent To The IP Thieves »
    I did not & do not agree to the new TOS that I had no chance to agree to or deny.
    I've requested removal to Admin 18th Sept 2018 & by email to [email protected] 19th Sept 2018

Offline Usedtoposthere

• View Profile
    « Reply #90 on: March 09, 2018, 10:36:44 am »
    Did the narrators get a matching bonus?
    If you're on royalty share, the bonus would be split in half.

Offline KylieG

• View Profile
    « Reply #91 on: March 09, 2018, 10:43:35 am »
    I got $25 and I had no minutes for the period.

Yes, I made one cent from two books and got a $25 bonus.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
      • View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #92 on: March 30, 2018, 08:41:40 am »
    Hey everyone, I am working on a follow up post on this story.

Has anyone gotten a response from Audible?

I've only gotten the silent treatment; what about you?

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
      • View Profile
      • Nate Hoffelder
    « Reply #93 on: March 30, 2018, 09:18:34 am »
    the reason i ask whether Audible has contacted you is that I have heard nothing, and yet Audible made this claim over on Facebook just a couple days ago:

"We are in touch with participating authors and rights holders in the Romance Package with updates and information. To preserve this Facebook Group as a place for our listeners, we will not be sharing those business conversations here, but ask that authors, narrators and rights holders contact their business representative. Thank you!"

I am trying to find out if that is true or not.

Offline KevinH

• View Profile
      • The Hardman Writing Stylus
    « Reply #94 on: January 02, 2019, 11:39:46 am »
    Does anyone know if the payout rate for Audible Romance was ever adjusted? Or did they find some other method for enticing authors into the program?

Offline jmb3

• So.Cal
      • View Profile
    « Reply #95 on: January 02, 2019, 07:33:08 pm »
    I went back to the first payout and in Jan 2018 they had a consumption rate of 0.002252. In Oct 2018, the latest payout had a consumption rate of 0.003900. I suck at math so I'm not sure how the per minute rate is factored but it's still not a lot. I'm one of the early adopters so I get a bonus on top of the quarterly payout but I don't think that's offered to anyone coming into the program now (and have no idea how long the bonuses will last). The good news is Audible is still very committed to the program and authors are still adding their audiobooks because, like KU, it gives listeners a chance to discover new authors. Plus, Audible is producing more titles in their studios and offering Audible Originals even to indies now (I have one coming on the 15th). The big downside I see to the Romance Package, aside from the low pay, is that it's conditioning some listeners to expect their audiobooks to be 'free' and they get frustrated when an author only puts a couple of audiobooks from the series in and leaves the rest out to be purchased with a credit.

Offline Flying Pizza Pie

• Keaau, HI
      • View Profile
      • Nevada Gaming History
    « Reply #96 on: January 02, 2019, 08:31:21 pm »
    I went back to the first payout and in Jan 2018 they had a consumption rate of 0.002252. In Oct 2018, the latest payout had a consumption rate of 0.003900.

If the rate is indeed 0.0039 per minute, the math adds up like this: .0039 x 60 minutes x 13 hours (just a guess at an average book) and the total is $3.04 - which sounds alright to me. I get 1/4 (Narrator split) of $17.95, which equals $4.49 per book. If i sold approximately twice as many books (as I did with KU reads), then I'd feel like I was earning $6.08 instead of $4.49 - so an increase in revenue of about 25%.

Al W Moe | Blog | Facebook | GoodReads

Offline jmb3

• So.Cal
      • View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: January 02, 2019, 10:22:38 pm »
    Okay, so the consumption rate is not per minute. I have no idea what it is exactly but I had my husband do the calculations with just the minutes and amount earned.

In Jan2018 I had 1,669,161 minutes listened and earned $966. That is .00057 x 60 x 12 = .41c earned for a 12-hour audiobook.
    In Oct2018 I had 1,787,627 minutes listened and earned $2788. That is .00156 x 60 x 12 = $1.12 earned for 12-hour audiobook.

So, it's getting better but nowhere near KU levels.

That being said, I calculated the rate I get when the bonus is factored in and these numbers are awesome. Hopefully, one day they will get to this level without having to add the bonus (only early adopters get this extra bonus).

Jan 2018 it was - .0057  $4.10 per audiobook
    Oct 2018 it was - .0061  $4.39 per audiobook

KBoards.com

• Advertisement