KB Featured
Awakened: BBW Paranormal Shape Shifter Romance
by J.S. Wiley

Kindle Edition published 2016-01-30
Bestseller ranking: 427006

Product Description
From her curvaceous hips to her whiskey colored eyes, plus-size beauty Abagail Cole should be at the top of her dating game. But after a recent breakup with her cheating fiancé, she's never felt more like the stereotypical lonely cat lady.

So, determined to move forward and have some fun, Abagail decides to take a spontaneous trip to a local sports bar and get her buzz on. There she attracts the attention of tattooed, bad-boy millionaire Caleb Delaney, a mysterious and passionate wolf shifter who is immediately bewitched by Abagail's charms--and would do anything to claim her as his future mate.

But when a gorgeous new neighbor also catches her eye, Abagail soon finds herself torn between the affections of two gorgeous, intense love interests. And to make matters even more confusing, she's been experiencing steamy encounters with a presence in her dreams, waking up breathless and longing for more.

As she …

Author Topic: Do you enjoy time travel?  (Read 260 times)  

Offline marshallv

• United States
  • Marshall Vickery, Author of Time Scripts
    • View Profile
    • Marshall Vickery's Website
Do you enjoy time travel?
« on: March 10, 2018, 11:54:20 AM »
My name is Marshall Vickery and I am the author of a historical novel that uses time travel incidentally as a mechanism to move the plot along and provide several exciting deus-ex-machina moments. I would like to know what you think about using time travel as a plot device.

Why do you think so many of us have a pretty serious fascination with time travel?

sorry -- self promotion is not allowed in the Book Corner.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 04:35:09 AM by Ann in Arlington »
Marshall Vickery, Author of Time Scripts

Offline Ellie Lynn

• Contemporary and Historical Romance Author
    • View Profile
    • Ellie Lynn
Re: Do you enjoy time travel?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 12:16:30 PM »
I think time travel as a plot device is great if done well. Some people have the knack, some don't. For me, when I want to write in a whole new era, I find it works well to introduce the main character to said era, and then I can use the differences in time to explain away reactions the MC would have to experiencing the new time. ie: in the old west, the movies never tell you about the amount of horse poop on the streets of the towns, because, well, horses poop at will and no one runs behind them to clean it up. A modern day person would most certainly notice and probably comment on it.
Your story sounds interesting. Your protagonist most certainly would suffer with worrying over the risk to changing history, versus standing by and doing nothing. Interesting problem, indeed.
Once Upon A Highlander: 54%

Ginnie's Story-Calico 3 (working title): 30%
Ellie Lynn | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:03:18 AM »
Why do you think so many of us have a pretty serious fascination with time travel?

I think many of us are dissatisfied with the time in which we live.  We long for either an idealized past or a utopian future, and we only rarely consider that those times will necessarily be just as complex and disappointing as our own.  Even when we do consider that, the urge to escape is always there, pricking at the backs of our minds, telling us that the temporal grass really is greener on the other side.
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv
Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 10:24:07 AM »
Time travel can be fun, and as such, I tend to prefer it in more of an obviously "fantasy" setting -- not the fantasy genre, necessarily, but not trying to suggest it is scientifically feasible, but more of a, "What if time travel were actually possible? What interesting/fun things could ensue?" If the book in general is trying to be very serious and suggest it is really possible, the author is probably going to have a challenge to get me to do the willing suspension of disbelief thing, as I know just enough about physics to know how unlikely it is that humans will ever be able to travel in time (at least backwards -- time dilation could in essence allow us to travel forward in time by going really, really fast through space for awhile).

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 04:25:45 PM »
I love the idea, but so many times...the time travel itself seems a bit forced.  Does anyone have recommendations for a story that includes a realistic time travel scenario or device? 

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Joseph M. Erhardt

• U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 06:27:22 AM »
I'll enjoy a time-travel tale if the paradoxes are acknowledged and dealt with.  Anyone remember the TV series Seven Days?  After each episode, there should have been another Parker in the cast.  This could have been played up:  "We've got three Parkers now.  What the hell do we do with them?"  "Put 'em in a room with a deck of cards and have them play skat."

Etc.  In the show, the current Parker is conveniently forgotten when the future one appears to warn of some threat or other.

Joseph M. Erhardt

Offline Rod Little

• View Profile
    • Rod Little Author
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 11:38:31 PM »
I enjoy Time Travel, but it gives me a headache. As for books with Time Travel as a plot device, it can be a great mechanism - if used well or with originality! The "Primeval" bbc tv series is a good example.  Or in print: Stephen King's "11/22/63" or Asimov's "End of Eternity."

Good Stuff.
The Last Starbase: 99%

The 100 Prequel: 15%
Sci-Fi, Alien Invasion, Post-apocalyptic
website | Book Trailer | Twitter | FB

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac