Author Topic: February 2018 - Headline KENPC Rate 0.0046601USD  (Read 9525 times)  

Offline ShadyWolfBoy

• View Profile
February 2018 - Headline KENPC Rate 0.0046601USD
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:30:42 am »
4% increase across the board, about what I expected after a sharper than usual January drop.

Store         Currency   Rate   Change from Prior
Amazon.com      USD    0.0046601    4.0%
Amazon.co.uk      GBP    0.0035740    4.0%
Amazon.de      EUR    0.0031802    4.0%
Amazon.fr      EUR    0.0046273    4.0%
Amazon.co.jp      JPY    0.5775726    4.0%
Amazon.ca      CAD    0.0045821    4.0%
Amazon.it      EUR    0.0046273    4.0%
Amazon.es      EUR    0.0046273    4.0%
Amazon.in      INR    0.0906437    4.0%
Amazon.com.au   AUD    0.0040023    4.0%
Amazon.com.br   BRL    0.0112707    4.0%

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline BookMagic

• View Profile
    Re: February 2018 - Headline KENPC Rate 0.0046601USD
    « Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 12:10:49 pm »
    Its better than a decrease, I guess.

Offline Shane Lochlann Black

• Lexicon Hollow
    • Write something funny by 4PM or you're fired.
      • View Profile
      • The Committee to Ban Shane Lochlann Black
    « Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 12:12:08 pm »
    Seems to be a little more stable now than it used to be.   Longer books are definitely paying off.   8)

Offline Rick Partlow

• Central Florida, USA
      • View Profile
      • The Science Fiction of Rick Partlow
    « Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 01:10:16 pm »
    Its better than a decrease, I guess.

:-\

You GUESS?

Offline MonkeyScribe

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 03:09:10 pm »
    Haha  :)

Reminds me of a phrase my dad likes to use: "It's better than a kick in the face."

Better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
      • View Profile
      • Marti Talbott's Books
    « Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 05:36:23 pm »
    Where do you find the list of all stars? Not that I'm on it, just wondering. I put 15 of my 50 books in KU, so this is my first month. Actually, my first half a month with 24k page reads. Don't know if that's good or bad, but those 15  books weren't selling well wide, so why not? Now I'm trying to decided if I should put the rest of them in. Any advice? Do you think readers are getting burned out on the old material and are looking for new? I mean, who's still reading Harry Potter?

By the way, when I received the usual "what do you want us to work on next" email from Amazon, I suggested they put Kindle Unlimited under the description of the sponsored ads. I think it would boost page reads. Agree?

Marti not martit, or martital. It's Marti Talbott, good girl, old but good.
    Based on an actual event: The 1909 Dotsero Train Wreck https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084H4Z23C/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p6_i5

Author of over 50 novels   www.martitalbott.com

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 05:39:10 pm »
    Where do you find the list of all stars? Not that I'm on it, just wondering. I put 15 of my 50 books in KU, so this is my first month. Actually, my first half a month with 24k page reads. Don't know if that's good or bad, but those 15  books weren't selling well wide, so why not? Now I'm trying to decided if I should put the rest of them in. Any advice? Do you think readers are getting burned out on the old material and are looking for new? I mean, who's still reading Harry Potter?

By the way, when I received the usual "what do you want us to work on next" email from Amazon, I suggested they put Kindle Unlimited under the description of the sponsored ads. I think it would boost page reads. Agree?

There is no list of All-Stars and notifications dont go out until the end of the month. Last time I heard, the bottom threshold for All-Star bonuses was 4 million page reads a month.

Amanda M. Lee

Online The one with all the big dresses on the covers

• Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 05:41:31 pm »
    Do you think readers are getting burned out on the old material and are looking for new? I mean, who's still reading Harry Potter?

Well, according to the Amazon Charts weekly list of most read books on kindle, apparently half the world :P

If you wanted to eliminate confusion, you could capitalize the T in Talbott on your profile name so it says MartiTalbott. Just a thought :)

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
      • View Profile
      • Marti Talbott's Books
    « Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 05:48:23 pm »
    There is no list of All-Stars and notifications dont go out until the end of the month. Last time I heard, the bottom threshold for All-Star bonuses was 4 million page reads a month.
    Thanks, Amanda. Does the old list disappear then?  Four million pages a month divided by 15 books is only 266,666.66 each. I can do that! Noooo problem!  It might just take a little more than one month.
    Based on an actual event: The 1909 Dotsero Train Wreck https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B084H4Z23C/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p6_i5

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 06:28:21 pm »
    Thanks for doing the math. It gives me great pleasure to simply delete Amazon's email regarding this bs.

I love that Glynn posts this each month because I've found myself returning to these threads as a quick reference every now and again. (So, don't stop, Glynn!)

That said, here's how you can do the calculation quick and easy in Excel...no math required!

* Download and open the royalty report spreadsheet.
    * Click the 'KENP Read' tab.
    * Scroll over to the first blank column (currently Column H).
    * Click in the first cell under the headings (currently Row 3).
    * Check which columns have the royalty (currently Column F) and pages read (currently Column E).
    * Up in the 'fx' field, put in:  =F3/E3
    * Hit 'Enter'.

That gives you the US amount. You can stop there, or check out the other amounts by clicking back on that same cell, then grabbing the itty bitty square in the lower-righthand corner of that cell, which you can do when the big cursor changes to a thinner 'plus' or crosshair.

Without letting go of the corner, drag the cursor down to the last row where you have royalties showing. Only let go when you reach the end.

Voila! All the cells are now populated with the per-page amount out to 8 decimal places.
    Comments removed to protect content and data from the over-reaching TOS of new forum owner VerticalScope. VerticalScope claims rights to any content posted to this site as theirs to disseminate beyond this site in any way they see fit.

KBoards was purchased by VerticalScope 7.5 years and 4000 posts after I joined. VerticalScope will not allow that existing content to be permanently deleted, despite the fact I did not and do not agree to granting the new owners the rights to my content. - September 21, 2018

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 06:39:59 pm »
    There is no list of All-Stars and notifications dont go out until the end of the month.

There is a list of All-Star books, which can be refined by category or series too. You can't really tell which month it's for, and it doesn't get updated till after the notifications go out, so during the end of March-ish and most of April-ish, it'll show February's All-Stars. Right now, it's probably showing January's list.

You used to be able to refine by author. But when the list started being filled with scammers, Amazon kindly nixed that feature to make identifying scammers more difficult. Because Amazon likes enabling scammers these days.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_457902022_2?ie=UTF8&node=11085390011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=special-offers-2&pf_rd_r=05B5CTZYC33KA4TCYM2M&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=2412951182&pf_rd_i=B017I0S4X4
    Comments removed to protect content and data from the over-reaching TOS of new forum owner VerticalScope. VerticalScope claims rights to any content posted to this site as theirs to disseminate beyond this site in any way they see fit.

KBoards was purchased by VerticalScope 7.5 years and 4000 posts after I joined. VerticalScope will not allow that existing content to be permanently deleted, despite the fact I did not and do not agree to granting the new owners the rights to my content. - September 21, 2018

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
      • View Profile
      • Marti Talbott's Books
    « Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 08:48:14 pm »
    There is a list of All-Star books, which can be refined by category or series too. You can't really tell which month it's for, and it doesn't get updated till after the notifications go out, so during the end of March-ish and most of April-ish, it'll show February's All-Stars. Right now, it's probably showing January's list.

You used to be able to refine by author. But when the list started being filled with scammers, Amazon kindly nixed that feature to make identifying scammers more difficult. Because Amazon likes enabling scammers these days.

https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link_457902022_2?ie=UTF8&node=11085390011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=special-offers-2&pf_rd_r=05B5CTZYC33KA4TCYM2M&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=2412951182&pf_rd_i=B017I0S4X4

Thanks, Phoenix. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know a scammer if I saw one. Interesting list. I thought it was given out according to the author with the most page reads, but it's by the book. That makes it even harder.

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 09:09:07 pm »
    Thanks, Phoenix. Unfortunately, I wouldn't know a scammer if I saw one. Interesting list. I thought it was given out according to the author with the most page reads, but it's by the book. That makes it even harder.

There are two bonus types: one by single book and one by author. The single book threshold is probably somewhere around 1.8 million page reads during the month. The author bonus aggregates all of the page reads from a single pen name. That's the one with a base threshold of around 4 million for the month.

The list at the url I posted contains the 100 single books that earned bonuses as well as all the KU books published by the 100 author names who earned bonuses. Plus the separate set of bonus-earning illustrated children's books and authors.

The UK and Germany also have their own lists. I'm not sure what the minimum thresholds currently are in those regions.

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 09:15:06 pm »

haha looking through that list leaves me very little hope for humanity.  :P

Offline Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: March 15, 2018, 09:33:44 pm »
    Another P-poor showing by Amazon again this month, little wonder that the other retailers are getting back into the market with amazon's obvious neglect of indie authors. With just the right nudge people could leave in droves to go wide. Couple that with the scamming and manipulation by a lot of authors on that bestseller list and KU isn't so enticing anymore. 

Offline Rick Partlow

• Central Florida, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 03:55:22 am »
    Another P-poor showing by Amazon again this month, little wonder that the other retailers are getting back into the market with amazon's obvious neglect of indie authors. With just the right nudge people could leave in droves to go wide. Couple that with the scamming and manipulation by a lot of authors on that bestseller list and KU isn't so enticing anymore.

???

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 09:30:39 am »
    Remember when these rate announcement threads would just go on and on for a dozen pages every month?
    Now everybody is all- oh?! Was that today?
    « Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 09:32:14 am by Going Incognito »

Offline Rick Partlow

• Central Florida, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 09:59:59 am »

It's certainly enticing to me.  But then, it makes me lots of money, and I've always found that sexy.

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 11:08:08 am »
    I'd love to see some real indication that the other retailers are actually doing anything of the sort. Unfortunately I don't see any signs that the other retailers really care much about indie authors. Wake me up when any of them has done 10% as much for indies as Amazon has. However bad Amazon is (and they're *bad*), they're still light years better than anyone else, and I don't see anyone else doing much - if anything - to improve. Hint: nuking the effect of free titles, pushing indies down in search rankings or outright hiding them, deleting accounts with no warning or cause given after years, etc. doesn't exactly fit in with the narrative.

Note: All of my titles except for four under a single pen name are wide, I've been wide since 2011, and I got in as one of the first beta users on both GP and Kobo and I've seen first hand how they've changed their systems to make them *less* indie-friendly over the years. The impression I've gotten is that several would like to dispense with their indie publishing programs entirely and only continue them because Amazon does so they feel like they have to. They certainly haven't devoted anywhere near the resources to improving those programs in the last few years that the aggregators like D2D and Streetlib have, even though they have much deeper pockets and their goal as booksellers is supposedly to sell more books.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline Marti talbott

• Marti Talbott
      • View Profile
      • Marti Talbott's Books
    « Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 11:32:28 am »
    I'd love to see some real indication that the other retailers are actually doing anything of the sort. Unfortunately I don't see any signs that the other retailers really care much about indie authors. Wake me up when any of them has done 10% as much for indies as Amazon has. However bad Amazon is (and they're *bad*), they're still light years better than anyone else, and I don't see anyone else doing much - if anything - to improve. Hint: nuking the effect of free titles, pushing indies down in search rankings or outright hiding them, deleting accounts with no warning or cause given after years, etc. doesn't exactly fit in with the narrative.

Note: All of my titles except for four under a single pen name are wide, I've been wide since 2011, and I got in as one of the first beta users on both GP and Kobo and I've seen first hand how they've changed their systems to make them *less* indie-friendly over the years. The impression I've gotten is that several would like to dispense with their indie publishing programs entirely and only continue them because Amazon does so they feel like they have to. They certainly haven't devoted anywhere near the resources to improving those programs in the last few years that the aggregators like D2D and Streetlib have, even though they have much deeper pockets and their goal as booksellers is supposedly to sell more books.

I'm not sure I agree Kobo and Google plus are less indie supportive, but I agree that promoting to those two sites brings very little reward. That's the main reason I decided to put some of my books into KU instead. I've been with them since the beginning too, and still have never been able to break into any other than the English based countries such as Australia and the UK. It's frustrating.

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 11:48:34 am »
    I'm not sure I agree Kobo and Google plus are less indie supportive, but I agree that promoting to those two sites brings very little reward. That's the main reason I decided to put some of my books into KU instead. I've been with them since the beginning too, and still have never been able to break into any other than the English based countries such as Australia and the UK. It's frustrating.
    Kobo used to rank free books (which anyone who has paid any attention to indie publishing since 2012 knows is one of the primary methods of attracting new readers and selling more books since we don't have access to most of the methods used by tradpub) and then decided to bury them. Google Play used to rank indie titles on par with tradpub titles based solely on sales, and then changed their algos a couple of years ago to shove indie titles further down in the search results, so now you have to sell *more* books to get the same visibility in browsing/searches as a tradpub title. They have also implemented changes to make free books far less visible. And of course shutting down the ability for new indies to sign up for GP accounts for years so there was effectively no way to even get onto that platform.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 12:02:32 pm »
    I mean, who's still reading Harry Potter?

Millions of kids who were too young to read it last year will be old enough this year ... and so on, ad infinitum.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).

Offline Atlantisatheart

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 02:24:38 pm »
    It's certainly enticing to me.  But then, it makes me lots of money, and I've always found that sexy.

I've been in six figures for the last six years, your point? The best thing that could happen for indie authors is the rise of anybody else to challenge Amazon because every year, sometimes more than once a year, they come up with something to beat indies over the head with. Am I grateful to amazon for giving me a platform and the kind of money I could never envision myself having? Sure, that doesn't mean I'm going to apologise for their bad practices.

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 02:50:50 pm »
    I've been in six figures for the last six years, your point? The best thing that could happen for indie authors is the rise of anybody else to challenge Amazon because every year, sometimes more than once a year, they come up with something to beat indies over the head with. Am I grateful to amazon for giving me a platform and the kind of money I could never envision myself having? Sure, that doesn't mean I'm going to apologise for their bad practices.
    I don't think there's anybody on WC (with the possible exception of a tiny handful of die-hard Amazon apologists) who would disagree with this. The problem is that none of the other distributors show any real interest in challenging Amazon.

But companies like Google and Apple can afford to play the long game, so rather than spending a fortune trying to go head-to-head with General Zon they're quietly growing organically as more and more readers make purchases on their hardware. How many younger readers (or even older ones for that matter) are buying dedicated reading devices like the Kindle rather than just reading on their smartphones? I know I read far more on my iPhone these days than on my Kindle Fire, and if the iBooks interface and search weren't so horrid I'd definitely buy new ebooks there rather than through Amazon. It's going to happen the same way that smartphones have replaced dedicated MP3 players. Sure, there are still some out there, but they're a niche product and no longer mainstream. And as the trend progresses iTunes and Google Play will capture more of the ebook market more or less by default.

Offline Rick Partlow

• Central Florida, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 03:24:36 pm »

Thanks for the status report on your income, I'll try to show suitable deference.  Whatever your financial situation, Amazon's practices are only bad in your opinion.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement