Kindle Forum banner

Erotica Store-wide Rankings Missing

32K views 189 replies 58 participants last post by  Usedtoposthere 
#1 ·
It appears erotica lost its store-wide rankings. Does anyone have thoughts on why Amazon decided to do this? I understand it happened on Amazon Germany some time ago.

#5 ·
While my self-pub BDSM books got hit, it's also affected publishers like St. Martin's Swerve imprint as well. I wrote two threesome books for them, "Betting on Both" and "Game On", and both have had their rankings pulled. Dropped my editor at St. Martin's Press a note - they may not be so happy about having the 'Zon do that to them.

:p

#6 ·

#7 ·
I wonder if this is anything to do with the AMS ads problem. The bad boy romances flooded AMS ads in most cats and didn't stay in their lane, my books were targeted with them, and my readers were complaining to me like it was my fault, were they complaining to the zone? Those ads disappeared a while back as amazon had a clear up, and now the ads seem to be pretty much genre related. I've noticed more ads with bare man chest that are PNR being rejected lately as well.

There also seems to be more books getting thrown into erotica, on other forums people are complaining about it, and now this.

Could there be a purge on books that should be in erotica but aren't and how many hapless authors will get caught up in it this time? 

#8 ·
PhoenixS said:
Watching.

I had noticed last night that E.L. James' GREY (pubbed via Random House) is overall-rank stripped too. It's Book 1 from Christian's POV. Book 2, DARKER, is categorized as Romance, and is #676 overall. GREY is #7 in Erotica, but not on the BS list.

Not sure yet whether it's affecting the API and algos, or is a page code glitch. While I have some books that *should* be categorized as erotica on my watch-list, I don't have any that are catted as erotica, so don't have history to compare to.
It hits some heavy players for sure. It's definitely a category decision, a broad sweep, with possible surgical strikes to follow.

#9 ·
PhoenixS said:
Watching.

I had noticed last night that E.L. James' GREY (pubbed via Random House) is overall-rank stripped too. It's Book 1 from Christian's POV. Book 2, DARKER, is categorized as Romance, and is #676 overall. GREY is #7 in Erotica, but not on the BS list.

Not sure yet whether it's affecting the API and algos, or is a page code glitch. While I have some books that *should* be categorized as erotica on my watch-list, I don't have any that are catted as erotica, so don't have history to compare to.
I just checked my Author Central page for my erotica only pen name and the graph shows a rank, BUT there is a message at the top (where you can select the time frame) that says:
This format of "TITLE HERE" is no longer ranked.

The overall rank has been removed from the store front, but the subcat rankings are still there.

This "rank stripping" seems to be targeted at erotica only. My other books are fine.

#11 ·
PhoenixS said:
Watching.

It isn't a page glitch. My sales ranks on my erotica titles are MIA in Author Central as well. They're definitely up to something, and in the well-thought out way that Amazon does *everything* it's going to blow up in their faces as ten thousand erotica authors rush to slap new covers on their books and recategorize them as anything but erotica to regain visibility.

EDIT: Erotica author ranks are now gone as well. Interestingly, no one is reporting seeing massive jumps in the rankings of all non-erotica titles in the store that should happen if hundreds of thousands of erotica titles suddenly disappeared from the ranking lists.

#12 ·
I hate this side of Amazon. The "everything store," sure, but ...

... OMG, not that. :(

#13 ·
My books at Amazon UK still have ranks. But they've disappeared at Amazon.com

I wondered why my sales at the US store have virtually disappeared this month. Only four since 1st March. I don't sell many as a rule, but this is a new low, even for me, and I was wondering why... obviously the disappearing ranks would account for it.

My trad published stuff has lost rankings too.

Edited to add...

Rankings are missing at Author Central, but I just checked the books on Amazon.com and I see rankings [not very good ones, but they're there]. I wonder if I can see them because I'm searching from the UK?

#14 ·
KelliWolfe said:
It isn't a page glitch....it's going to blow up in their faces as ten thousand erotica authors rush to slap new covers on their books and recategorize them as anything but erotica to regain visibility.
It would be smart and avoid the blow-up if this was part of Amazon's plan to give erotica its own ecosystem. A proper "back room" in other words, so the category didn't mix with non-erotica in general searches.

#15 ·
KelliWolfe said:
It isn't a page glitch. My sales ranks on my erotica titles are MIA in Author Central as well. They're definitely up to something, and in the well-thought out way that Amazon does *everything* it's going to blow up in their faces as ten thousand erotica authors rush to slap new covers on their books and recategorize them as anything but erotica to regain visibility.

EDIT: Erotica author ranks are now gone as well. Interestingly, no one is reporting seeing massive jumps in the rankings of all non-erotica titles in the store that should happen if hundreds of thousands of erotica titles suddenly disappeared from the ranking lists.
Actually, I had one book jump from where it was hanging out in the 1100 range to 800-something, but I assumed it was just a normal fluctuation or my redistributed ad budget kicking in. My other ranks looked a little higher too, but that could easily be because of former book, as it's currently my funnel.

#16 ·
Dpock said:
It would be smart and avoid the blow-up if this was part of Amazon's plan to give erotica its own ecosystem. A proper "back room" in other words, so the category didn't mix with non-erotica in general searches.
yeah I would love that. As long as some erotica authors can get their stuff into non-erotica categories, their books will be easier to find, so that's where erotica-readers will go. If only some people follow the rules, they get hosed.

#18 ·
NoBlackHats said:
Thanks for that link. I had no idea about that being passed. The elimination of personals on Craigslist is only the tip of the iceberg. There is no way, in my mind, that Amazon's actions are not connected to this law. Between this, the chaos on Facebooks, and the end of net neutrality, I believe we're about to see draconian changes on the internet.

#19 ·
KelliWolfe said:

This. I expected rank to increase all across the board if tens of thousands of books lost their rank, but I haven't seen any significant changes.

#21 ·
Dpock said:
Not significant, no, but quite a few are reporting a mysterious bump in general non-erotica rankings around 1:00 pm PT yesterday.
It's also worth noting that, while my erotica sales have plummeted, the erotica sales that have appeared are weird. I'm selling a bunch of failed shorts from years ago, a bundle with an odd theme that has never sold a copy, a weird jokey thing that also never sold a copy. That's consistent with the possibility that Amazon has updated its algorithms leading to unpredictable consequences for erotica, especially stuff that's weird or difficult to categorize.

#22 ·
Dpock said:
Not significant, no, but quite a few are reporting a mysterious bump in general non-erotica rankings around 1:00 pm PT yesterday.
I'm not seeing that on my non-erotica pen names, especially not on the books with higher rankings where it would be less attributable to single purchases/borrows. It would be very obvious on my YA pen if it was happening.

#23 ·
dianapersaud said:

This. I expected rank to increase all across the board if tens of thousands of books lost their rank, but I haven't seen any significant changes.
How many erotica books are in the top 10k? Top 100k? It's not a huge percentage. The one time I was shoved into erotica, I made #1 with a rank of 100-something. (Book was definitely not erotica, but I used the keyword "sexy." Of course, it took three or four reps before I figured otu why I'd been placed in erotica).

Last time I checked the erotica top 100, it ended in the ten-thousands, so the rankings are probably spread out enough not to cause a noticeable difference to other books. If 2k of the top 100k books are erotica, that's not really going to be a significant jump. Going from rank 100k to 98k looks like a normal fluctuation.

#24 ·
Crystal_ said:
Last time I checked the erotica top 100, it ended in the ten-thousands, so the rankings are probably spread out enough not to cause a noticeable difference to other books. If 2k of the top 100k books are erotica, that's not really going to be a significant jump. Going from rank 100k to 98k looks like a normal fluctuation.
True but we shouldn't assume the bump would be evenly spread out. Amazon probably made other changes at the same time. They might have thought "we're reducing the accidental erotica-buyer's chances to buy erotica, but in the absence of that, they will typically default to historical romance, nonfiction about feminism and YA fantasy, so we'll modify the algorithm to give those genres a boost". Or even not the algorithm, like if some people in the parenting category used to buy hucow erotica but now don't, the bump in rank should accrue to lactation books that aren't hucow erotica because that's what now fills the category they're looking through. We might not expect to see a bump across the board at all.

#25 ·
dianapersaud said:

As someone with some books languishing very low, I can report rank increases across the board with my books, with my lowest ranked book (in the 2 mil + zone) jumping more than 200K places.

#26 ·
The absence of a rank doesn't mean sales aren't happening. The books are still searchable in the store. READERS can still find them through the usual channels - the general search engine, especially, and they still have subcat ranks, too. I don't really see this as anything to be particularly alarmed about unless it persists AND long-term sales are affected going forward.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.