Author Topic: Sales reporting: getting a little concerned.  (Read 9894 times)  

Offline Scrapper78

• Connecticut
    • View Profile
Re: Sales reporting: getting a little concerned.
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2018, 08:52:36 am »
Aliens.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline "Serious" ... but not really

• View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: March 24, 2018, 11:01:36 am »
    Hmmmm....now showing retroactive sales. Yet no real changes at the other platforms.

Takes me back to October of 2016. What nostalgia.

Lets speculate! Changes to the wide algo? Or changes to the KU algo? Do you/me/us now have several different algos? Or....Russian hackers?

Discuss.

8)

Oh, definitely Russians and their mind control signals ... the signal is - KU readers and readers stay home, don't vote too.   :P

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: March 24, 2018, 11:07:35 am »
    Facebook sold all of Amazon's customers' data to B&N, who is trying to lure them to Nook with promises of free ponies.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
      • Gene Doucette's Blog
    « Reply #28 on: March 24, 2018, 01:05:42 pm »
    Facebook sold all of Amazon's customers' data to B&N, who is trying to lure them to Nook with promises of free ponies.

Typical race-to-the-bottom; now everyone will expect their ponies to be free.

Offline avppublishing

• Writing for the passion of it!
      • View Profile
      • AVP Publishing
    « Reply #29 on: March 24, 2018, 02:05:59 pm »
    As a wise man once said: "Strange things are afoot at the Circle K."

This thread coincides very well with the stripping of Erotica's storewide rankings.  Definitely some big changes going down out Amazon way.  The biggest surprise for me so far is how well our erotica titles have done since then (I think yesterday might have been a record.)

Romance - Sweet and Sappy, but with some delicious heat!
    Mariska Hutchence | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: March 24, 2018, 05:49:54 pm »
    My sales are up, and I had taken a 3 month break from writing. Let's not talk about my sin...

Otherwise, everything is up. However, not a single return on any book until 2 days ago and suddenly 5 returns scattered. Could be coincidence. Maybe something else: Amazon's rumored involvement with election tampering? FB sure is suffering for it. To me, all of that is hearsay until something is passed down by a judge, but just saying that it happened about the same time.

Normally, April is a horrid month for me. I am determined to power through it and so far this looks to be my best April ever if projections hold out.  8)

Offline Tymber Dalton

• View Profile
      • TymberDalton.com - Tales From the Snark Side
    « Reply #31 on: March 24, 2018, 06:15:45 pm »
    Some of that odd activity might be related to this:

https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,261904.0.html
    Tymber Dalton (Lesli Richardson).

Author of The Reluctant Dom, The Great Turning, & others.

Offline Tegan Maher

• Florida
    • Mind what you have learned. Save you, it can.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: March 24, 2018, 08:02:20 pm »
    Things are definitely screwy for me. My sales were steady all month then they dipped on the 20th and plummeted 40% on the 21st and haven't recovered. No 30-day shelf or anything that may come close to explaining it. I had a new release today and it's sitting at 1360 in paid, but showing 8 sales and 6500 page reads. Sumpin ain't addin' up!

Tegan Maher

Offline Cactus Lady

• Arizona
      • View Profile
      • Welcome To My Worlds
    « Reply #33 on: March 24, 2018, 08:53:32 pm »
    Seriously, I am having probably my best month ever on B&N (which, as I've said before, admittedly isn't saying much) and my worst month in years on Amazon. Something weird is going on.

Tales of Fantasy, Heroism, and Romance
    Genres: Epic Romantic Fantasy, Fantasy-western
    http://www.kyrahalland.com

Offline Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Atlanta, GA
    • Relentlessly Patient
      • View Profile
      • Fiction For Every Reader
    « Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 09:22:50 pm »
    Flat-lined since around March 16th. I mean, I wasn't going like fangbusters, but things were at least consistent.

I write worlds on paper, then destroy them.
    Jonathan C. Gillespie | Official Site | Twitter | facebook | Newsletter

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 10:38:33 pm »
    I make more sales when I stand on one leg.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
    SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Offline L_Loryn

• View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: March 24, 2018, 10:42:32 pm »
    It took until mid-today for yesterday's sales to show up on my month-to-date chart.

I mean not that I was counting the hours...

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #37 on: March 24, 2018, 11:16:51 pm »

I once knew a girl who said the same thing.  Her name was Eileen.

Everyone knew Eileen.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
    SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Online K'Sennia Visitor

• Deep inside the AGU
    • I've got an idea!
      • View Profile
      • The Indie Authors Accountability Group: Open to All Genres!
    « Reply #38 on: March 24, 2018, 11:22:48 pm »
     I wrote a story about an Eileen.
    The Disabled Frog - Not Your Average Self Help Book
    https://www.amazon.com/Disabled-Frog-Stories-Productivity-Motivational-ebook/dp/B07LC4534L
    The Christmas Funeral - Not Your Mother's Christmas Story!
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LCH28BN

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
    • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
      • View Profile
      • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
    « Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 12:28:09 am »
    On 23rd March the rankings on all my books shot up variously by
    Two of the books were still climbing yesterday, but I haven't had a single sale or even one page read up to today. I know people borrow books and then can take a while before reading them, but it seems odd that I haven't even had one page read from nine books. ::)

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
    Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Lisa5

• View Profile
    « Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 04:54:51 am »
    Ive noticed some shifting as well, not in the overall sales because theyre doing well this year, but B&N only sells in the US and it is starting to outsell Amazon.com. International sales and other platforms are unaffected, so this is only a US site issue and B&N more than make up for it. Its almost as if .com buyers are moving to B&N and maybe they are. Quite a few customers and readers are annoyed with Amazon right now, many claiming theyre cancelling their Prime membership and buying from other platforms.

I think its a case of watch this space and see how it plays out.
    Amazon started refusing to let me buy books, until I agreed to switch to Amazon.com.au: -this is only recent all this time I've been buying books on Amazon.com in New Zealand, with a New Zealand credit card.

But if this were what is causing it people should see an uptick in sales on Amazon International? Except actually when it first happened I didn't buy the couple of books I was trying to buy when it refused to let me I just closed the website down and went and did something else so those two people lost my business. '

But eventually I agreed to it, since there seemed no way around it. I wasn't keen for this to happen as more traditional publishers will probably refuse to sell to me as a result with their rights restrictions. So I only finally did it now they are forcing me....

But then weirdly when I wanted to buy yet another book they made me agree to switch BACK to Amazon.com to buy this other book, so now I'm back on the US site.  :o

But this new thing of refusing to put a sale through until you agree to switch sites could be losing people some sales I guess. Because I was actually put off buying two books by it and ended up getting distracted and forgetting about them.
    « Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 04:59:25 am by Lisa5 »

Offline Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 04:59:53 am »
    I've got freebooksy/bknights promos for three of my books, spaced out over this weekend, yesterday/today and tomorrow (Monday).

Two of them haven't been promoted since last year. One of them (tomorrow's) hasn't been promoted ever.

Ordinarily I'd get a good 1500-2000 copies shifted of each book with a Freebooksy, and have done even if the promos are only spaced a month or two apart. Yet yesterday the Knacker only shifted just over 400 copies! That's a quarter to a fifth of what I'd normally expect. If I'd promoted it recently, I'd have put it down to over promoting, but it's not been promoted since November. Hoping that the Descent to Madness does better today, but I'm still a little bemused.

Brian Helsing hasn't been promoted ever, so if that doesn't shift a good couple of thousand copies tomorrow, I'll definitely suspect something strange is afoot.

Of course, it could just be that people aren't buy/downloading books atm.

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: March 25, 2018, 05:28:18 am »
    Two of the books were still climbing yesterday, but I haven't had a single sale or even one page read up to today. I know people borrow books and then can take a while before reading them, but it seems odd that I haven't even had one page read from nine books. ::)

Same thing is happening with my books. No sales, no page reads, yet zooming up in rank. I rarely check the rankings on author central but I have the past week or so. My author rank keeps dropping but my sales rank on every book is going way up.

Offline Saboth

• View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: March 25, 2018, 05:31:54 am »

I actively promote the first book in my series with AMS. It usually ranks in the 25-35K range. Last week was one of the best weeks in a while - it got down to 20K without any additional promotions and seemed to be picking up steam. After 3/22, all sales virtually stopped. It's now risen to 100K and hasn't had a sale or borrow in days, but AMS is still getting tons of impressions and clicks, just like before. Now, I've had no-sale days before, but never no-borrow days. Perhaps the national protests have had people preoccupied for the past few days? Or maybe the "glitch" that removed erotica from the store is affecting more than just erotica, and something's changed in the algos?

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: March 25, 2018, 05:57:37 am »
    Book rank is headed back to the cellar but only by about 2-3K for each book. It's still strange.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #45 on: March 25, 2018, 06:03:31 am »
    I have an ENT promo going out today for a 99c sale. I'll let you know if I see zero sales reported, don't you worry.

Offline "Serious" ... but not really

• View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: March 25, 2018, 10:27:36 am »
    I actively promote the first book in my series with AMS. It usually ranks in the 25-35K range. Last week was one of the best weeks in a while - it got down to 20K without any additional promotions and seemed to be picking up steam. After 3/22, all sales virtually stopped. It's now risen to 100K and hasn't had a sale or borrow in days, but AMS is still getting tons of impressions and clicks, just like before. Now, I've had no-sale days before, but never no-borrow days. Perhaps the national protests have had people preoccupied for the past few days? Or maybe the "glitch" that removed erotica from the store is affecting more than just erotica, and something's changed in the algos?

Interesting. I am hearing this a good bit here on KB. I think there is getting to be market saturation. There are so many books going $0 promo no one has to buy. I know I do this - I can get more than I want and I am not even KU.

Plus being prime I can usually pick up the book I like best for free every month. 

So I bet I end up playing the one-trick-pony carousel that costs me $50 every quarter to go $0 promo-"Select" just to get people to read my darn books. Sort or a "Penny Dreadful" author. 

Maybe the KU readers that pick it up after a $0 promo will come close to paying for the promo (probably not). But it is a hobby really. So I need to get wise to the fact I may have to put a little money into it.

Only had a couple sales in two months, only been out two months - family members read them. -ooooo! But I don't promote either - outside of AMS yet ...
    « Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 01:19:18 pm by Max 007 »

Offline MissingAlaska

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: March 25, 2018, 12:19:01 pm »
    Both my sales and read have flatlined -- even with a new release coming out today and AMS ads running. I think something is up with the algorithms but I'm at a loss as to what.

Offline Hope

• View Profile
    « Reply #48 on: March 25, 2018, 02:24:20 pm »
    I've had two new releases this month and today is the worst day I've had in months. AMS ads are running, but March will be a bad month for me.

Offline doolittle03

• Quebec, Canada
    • don't distract me
      • View Profile
      • writing for her life
    « Reply #49 on: March 25, 2018, 06:35:29 pm »
    I always take Amazons report with a large grain of salt.

Example:

So far this year Zon has been a fairly consistent 55-60% of my income. This is normal.

For the last three days all the other platforms have outsold Amazon. I don't mean all together. I mean B&N has made over double what I've made at Zon just today. Numbers like that do not make sense.

That is not normal.

Zon is up to something, but short of an audit, we have no way to know.

And people ask why I'm wide.

Ditto. Glad someone said something.
    « Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:44:38 pm by doolittle03 »

literary mystery and other stuff
    Nadine Doolittle | writing for her life

KBoards.com

• Advertisement