Author Topic: If you had to buy the Oasis 2 again would you?  (Read 2678 times)  

Offline HeatherA

• View Profile
If you had to buy the Oasis 2 again would you?
« on: March 30, 2018, 06:21:05 am »
I am reading such mixed reviews on this high-end Kindle. I'd love to hear your answers to my question.

Some background on me. I've owned 2 Kindle Keyboards and a Kindle Paperwhite. I also have owned a Kindle Fire HD and HDX. I read Kindle on my iPad, my Macbook and my iPhone. I am also an Audible user. I tell you this just to show I'm not new to Kindle. I am new to spending nearly $300 on a Kindle e-reader device and it makes me a little nervous not to read just glowing things about this device. So what I want to know is do you think it's worth the cost?

The biggest reason I'm upgrading from my 4 year old Paperwhite to this is because I moved to Florida and will be spending a lot of time near water. When I'm outside my Kindle is my device of choice. The waterproofing of this device was what made me start to think I needed it.

However, reading the comments about buttons that don't work, battery life and other complaints just has me wondering if I'd not be better off staying with my PPW and buying a new one if it gets water damaged while at the pool.

I ordered an Oasis today and it should be here next week and I look forward to reading your responses in preparation for its arrival. :)

-HeatherA

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
      • View Profile
    Re: If you had to buy the Oasis 2 again would you?
    « Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:03:15 am »
    Yes, without a doubt.  While the first Oasis is more convenient to carry, I don't carry a purse, I love the bigger screen enough to carry it with me and have quit reading on my phone in doctor offices or wherever else I might have to wait.  I always carry it in the case but read out of the case so I use the case that came with it.  Most aftermarket cases are tight and you have to unsnap the reader from the case. 
    Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:35:22 am »
    no I would not , its battery sucks and is not as bright as my paperwhite. To be honest I read on my paperwhite and FWIW the last 2 releases both Oasis' have new features and needs work. I'm tired of being a test person for beta releases...disgusted with Amazon
    Larry

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:37:40 am »
    I would. I been quite happy with it. Sure, battery is not as long as say the Voyage or the Oasis1 in the cover, but its not too bad. Plus it charges up so fast that its not a big deal. I figured with the bigger screen and more light it would use more power. I don't have any issues with it as far as lighting or buttons. All my button kindles have had the occasional non responsive page turn. I am not totally sure if that is because of the way I press the buttons, or software. Its so rare though as not to be an issue. And again, not exclusive to the O2.

For me I must have turn buttons. Even the Voyage ones barely counted as such and I didn't like the think bezel which made it fall out of my hands. With both of the Oasis because of the shape, I have something to grab on. Makes it so easy to hold. I really gotten used to the extra real estate so now when I grab the Oasis1 when the other is charging, it looks so tiny in my hands.  ;D

It just depends on what you are looking for. The waterproofing is not something I'll use, but they say it works. I have to have buttons so at the moment its the only kindle with buttons so I wouldn't have any other option. I cannot read on phones or any other tablet type devices or computers so it has to be e-ink.

Just try it out and see. Give it a couple of weeks to get used to. I never did like the Paperwhite, it was the first one that came out and I gave it to my husband. Now there was a screen that was horrible. He doesn't care, he doesn't read as much and most often he does on his Itablet thingies.

So yep, I would buy it again. And whatever kindle has buttons in the future. Not sure what I would do if they didn't make one like it anymore. I guess I'd have to hoard some.

Offline Gone 9/21/18

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:17:58 am »
    Oh, yes. IMO it's the best Kindle ever.

For me a button doesn't need a 2d press any more often than the screen needs a second touch or swipe.

However, Atunah is right - horses for courses and all that. I would never read on an iPad or Macbook, and only read on my phone when I'm desperate and it's all I have when I'm stuck somewhere. Since I read a lot, no Kindle has ever had enough battery that I don't end up charging the thing every day, and for me the O2 isn't noticeably worse than the PW and Voyage I no longer have - or the O1. The speed with which the O2 recharges is a major plus. I've never had a screen on any of my Kindles I thought was less than perfect, which probably makes me a non-discerning clod, but there it is.

I disliked the icy whiteness of the Voyage and disliked the fake buttons even more, so the warmer tone of the O2 screen and real buttons are great for me. I didn't like the touch-only PW and for that matter wish both the O1 and 2 had a few extra buttons like for Home and Settings. I HATE the way I can't use the buttons in Amazon lists. Way too often when I try to get a new page, instead it brings up a particular book's product page.

Will be interested to see how you feel about yours when it arrives and you've used it a while.
    I did not and will not consent to VerticalScope's TOS.

Offline HeatherA

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 11:29:29 am »
    I appreciate all of the responses so far and look forward to more.

Question... I have a 6th Gen Kindle PPW from 2013 (I think) and I'm totally fine with its battery life. For those of you that have had both devices how would you say the battery life compares between the two?

I am also excited about the physical buttons because I have never liked touching the screen of my PPW to change pages.
    -HeatherA

Offline BeeTee-Ess

• Brisbane, Australia
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 09:32:38 pm »
    I do almost all of my reading in bed at night.

I have a charging cable plugged in to a power point beside the bed.

So, when I have finished reading for the night, I automatically plug in my O2, and it is fully charged when I pick it up next day. As a result, I have no idea whether the battery life is good or bad. It is fine for me.

So, yes. I'd definitely buy it again, without hesitating.
    « Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 09:43:56 pm by BeeTee-Ess »
    Regards...

Bernard

Offline John Hopper

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 10:03:11 am »
    I would undoubtedly buy it again. While the battery life is a bit disappointing compared to other e-ink Kindles, it still compares favourably with non e-ink devices. In all other respects, it is definitely the best Kindle ever, and I would get it again even if only for the larger screen and larger storage.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 02:33:47 pm »
    I bought one and sent it back. I liked the larger screen but being a guy, I don't carry a large purse. I like being able to slip my Paperwhite, in it's excellent protective  Amazon Kindle case, in my pants pocket or a lower pocket on my Guayabera shirt. The Oasis won't fit.

I got rid of my Voyage because the Amazon Kindle case was ludicrous and I couldn't find a case I like. At the time I got my Oasis I couldn't get a Amazon Kindle case and when it came available it had a warning that it was intended to just personalize the device and not protect it. Ridiculous.

And, I need page turning buttons on my Kindle as much as I need page turning buttons on my cell phone. That would be about as much as I need a hand crank to start my car or a analog dial to change channels on a television.

When you factor in the cost, I'd get a Paperwhite and a Amazon Kindle case.

Offline mlm525

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 02:14:12 pm »
    Yes, I would buy it again.  I posed the question about battery life recently but that has been my only concern.  I have had both the Paperwhite and the Voyage and both of these have had much better battery life than the Oasis 2.  But as others have noted, the Oasis does recharge very quickly.  The larger screen size, page turn buttons and even lighting make this a winner for me.

Offline LauraB

• midwest, USA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 02:35:42 pm »
    No, I would not. I like it ok but I still read mostly on my voyage and the oasis is a backup. 
    Books read in 2010: 43 2011: 42 + the Bible 2012: 60; books read 2013:56*

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 04:05:10 pm »
    I love it but not crazy about battery life.  I think i would have stuck with oasis 1 because of that.

Offline northofdivision

• Los Angeles
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 01, 2018, 05:55:26 pm »
    Probably. But i'd prefer they release a metal version of the Oasis 6".

Really surprised they didn't re-release the great looking cloth covers for the O2 which don't stay well at all.
    Stanley
    =====
    Google Pixel, Ipad Mini4/5
    Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis, Oasis 7"
    Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura One 8", Likebook 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Shapeshifter

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 08:52:30 am »
    In a heartbeat.

I waited two-ish years, not pressing the buy button on the Voyage and then on the first Oasis. I just knew neither were right.

I came from a K3/Kindle Keyboard and besides the issue with half the screen going black occasionally, I've never had an issue. I am dual loading my books as my Oasis doesn't have cover yet, so I can read on the K3 when I'm out and about.

What I love about the Oasis. I am a chronic migraine person (the whole dark room, light and noise sensitive, motion sickness, throw up type), and I have even been able to read occasionally thanks to the lighting. I can sometimes spend three or four days in my room completely blacked out, so this is a HUGE deal.

You will always hear about the bad, there are so many Kindle owners out there if there were large quantities of defective units there would be a recall.

I have the added 'bonus' lol of living in Australia, ordering something like a Kindle and have something go wrong, sending it back isn't always as simple as it is for Americans. We do have Amazon in Australia now but I haven't looked at whether we go through them since I bought it through the American Amazon.

Oh the point, I haven't had a single issue with mine.

If I really think about it, maybe the battery doesn't last as long as it's supposed to but honestly I wouldn't have a clue, I can lose days sometimes. :D

Offline GirlFriday

• Love One Another
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 11:51:57 pm »
    First, I'm sorry that some of the responses were unpleasant.

Absolutely I'd buy it again. It's a great device, the best Kindle yet. Battery life is absolutely fine. It will vary of course, depending on whether you have a cellular one, keep WiFi on all the time, how good your WiFi and/or cellular signal is, etc. It's not at all poor, you'll get a few days reading out of it. I think you'll really enjoy your new Oasis!
    Proud owner of a Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, and Phone X

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
    • madhouse escapee #671
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 12:31:12 pm »
    I've had almost all of the different models that have come out over the past 10 years.  Most recently I've had a Voyage and both versions of the Oasis.  While I liked the first Oasis, I felt that the charging cover was a bit of a gimmick and it annoyed me to no end to have a message telling me that I needed to charge the cover when the device itself still had plenty of juice.
    The battery in my O2 seems to run down kind of quickly, but it also charges faster than any other Kindle I've had.
    And I really like the larger screen and the page turn buttons.  I think if you started with a Kindle with buttons (the original one, the K2, K3 etc) you tend to like having them.

Offline RedGolum

• Iowa
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 04:53:24 am »
    I had the screen protector on my Voyage crack, and couldn't get it removed. I had been saving for an Oasis, and pulled the trigger on it rather than send the Voyage out for repairs. So far, I am enjoying it.

The battery life sucks, but I can load all my books on the Oasis with plenty of room to spare. No complaints so far.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 05:50:24 pm »
    Absolutely! Love it. I usually read with it in airplane mode and the touch screen disabled.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Al Macy | Web Site

Offline Scarpad

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 06:55:53 am »
    maybe you could wait a bit rumors have a new paperwhite coming out in the fall with a better lighting system and possibly the waterproofing your looking for

Offline Paperbackstash

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 05:12:51 pm »
    maybe you could wait a bit rumors have a new paperwhite coming out in the fall with a better lighting system and possibly the waterproofing your looking for

Wow, I can dream about this and hope it's true!  :o
    Kindles:
    Inis Odyssey - PW4
    Moonsliver - PW3
    Nostromo - Fire HD 2nd Gen

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 04:54:24 am »
    There's a thread about PW 4 rumors . . . don't think waterproofing was part of them, but, they're rumors after all. :)
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement