Author Topic: My Swan Song  (Read 722 times)  

Offline OhMo

• View Profile
My Swan Song
« on: April 10, 2018, 05:50:05 PM »
I'm leaving kboards.  The reason is simple - too many, maybe most, of the members, are dishonorable and more interested in attacking anyone who asks for facts than in honest discussion. 

You won't miss me, and I certainly won't miss you.  I'm not the brightest light on the tree, but even I can see the intellectual dishonesty is overwhelming here. 

Feels free to pat yourselves on the back.  You deserve it and each other.
Practice religion freely and freedom religiously.

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
Re: My Swan Song
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 06:10:50 PM »
I always struggle to know what to do with threads like this, when posters I don't know leave in a huff after some wrong no doubt incurred upon their souls and/or bodies.

So I'll leave the late, great Powers Boothe to bid thee farewell and wish you pleasant journeys wherever you may next roam.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0BTdo6qGwo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0BTdo6qGwo</a>

Offline nomesque

• Macleay Island, Australia
    • View Profile
    • DEADish Online
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 06:26:59 PM »
Alas, poor OhMo, I knew them not at all...

Seriously, best of luck in your future endeavours. Take care.

Online Anarchist

• Methodological individualist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »
I always struggle to know what to do with threads like this, when posters I don't know leave in a huff after some wrong no doubt incurred upon their souls and/or bodies.

So I'll leave the late, great Powers Boothe to bid thee farewell and wish you pleasant journeys wherever you may next roam.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0BTdo6qGwo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0BTdo6qGwo</a>

I read the OP, thought of this clip, and was about to grab it from Youtube.

Then, I scrolled down and saw you beat me to it.

Confound it!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 06:32:12 PM »
I read the OP, thought of this clip, and was about to grab it from Youtube.

Then, I scrolled down and saw you beat me to it.

Confound it!

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 06:32:27 PM »
It's mystifying what made the poster leave Kboards so soon (10 days after registering). The last post I saw was the goat [crap] query for a romantic comedy. Though the last comment was right - goat [crap] doesn't smell. But leaving Kboards on that note and subject is the stuff of _____ (put your description here).

I do hope that's not the reason. We're here to learn. I'd be happy if somebody corrected me before what I'm writing arrives in the real world. There are monsters out there. Trolls, ogres, and the occasional drive-by vampire.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
Per our policy, departure posts are moved to the suggestions and comments forum.  Sorry for any compnfusion.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online JRTomlin

• View Profile
    • J. R. Tomlin on Writing and More
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2018, 06:58:25 PM »
I actually looked the 'goat poop' thing up. While goat poop may not be totally odorless, it at most has very little odor. Maybe it was embarrassment on his part.

Saor Alba
J. R. Tomlin | J. R. Tomlin | Writing and More

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »
You have to remember this when delving into public forums...

Some posts can come off as abrasive and offensive depending on word choice. Since there are no visual cues in a textual medium, we lose that extra sense that would tell us the person was joking or being sarcastic or wasn't trying to be abrasive and offensive. Sometimes peoples' passionate outbursts cross us the wrong way. Sometimes people go too far and cut another. Fortunately, this forum has moderators who step in and clean up our messes.

Remember -- try to be kind to others even when you've had a bad day or they are in your face. A little kindness spread around goes a long way.
Also remember -- sometimes threads get heated. Good to back away from those.
Finally remember -- this forum has a lot of value even if you might sometimes have to sift through the goat poop.

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2018, 07:50:04 PM »
It looks as if the OP was overzealously defending some sort of Internet service geared toward authors. To my untrained eye, it looked of sock puppetry. Lord knows many discussions of a service have had plenty of sock puppets. If the OP wasn't a sock puppet, then it's a shame that overzealous defending lead to questions of motivation, and hurt feelings. Hopefully, the OP rage quit, and the hurtful generalizations in this farewell post were made in haste. I've been a member of this forum for many years, and have been guided by many wonderful and talented people. I feel that anyone suggesting that kBoards is filled with dishonorable and intellectually dishonest people to be a bsnkrupt assessment. I submit that kBoards is a group of honest people who genuinely want to see their fellow authors succeed. The OP wasn't here long enough for the community to see where on the writing spectrum they were, but if they honestly wanted to improve, then I hope after a moment of reflection that they rejoin us. This wouldn't be the first time that a newcomer to the forums got in over their head and something spiraled out of control. Myself as an example, I too got upset with the community, but I took stock, and realized that my actions weren't the way that I wanted to present myself to the world. I learned from my mistake, and thus wonderful community moved beyond my imperfections, and I know I'm a better writer and person for it. I hope the OP comes back.

Offline Al Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 09:01:36 AM »
I guess I'm the culprit who ran the OP off. My apologies to the group. With hindsight I have learned never to correct someone who thinks their goats' droppings stink.

Offline solo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 10:08:01 AM »
I guess I'm the culprit who ran the OP off. My apologies to the group. With hindsight I have learned never to correct someone who thinks their goats' droppings stink.

Personally, Al, I think your statement on doing research is something which every writer should do. Not that we get it right all of the time. As I said, I'd rather be corrected now rather than be hit by a barrage of goat poop out there. Writing is a continuous learning experience. There are a lot of lessons to be learned. Kboards is a forum which provides that - though sometimes one has to sift through the posts. But from one who is also relatively new to Kboards, authors here are generally very helpful and generous with their advice. And for every writer, there's always the possibility of ego-deflating reviews and negative statements when a book is published. Learning to deal with that kind of goat crap is also a necessary skill/ability. It's worse on free serialized websites - been there.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 10:15:39 AM by solo »

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac