Author Topic: Novum Publishers  (Read 2577 times)  

Offline LeLune

• South Wales
    • View Profile
Novum Publishers
« on: April 18, 2018, 06:32:37 am »
I all. I wondered if anybody has any info about Novum Publishers. I think they are either German or Austrian, but that's all that seems to come up on a search.
They have contacted me about my book series.

Thanks for any advice.
Angela

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

bardsandsages

Re: Novum Publishers
    « Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 07:18:35 am »
    I would run like an army of demons were after me. It smells bad from the opening.

Everything on that website stinks of taking advantage of new authors.

"Many authors are disappointed when they offer their work after many years of writing to a publisher who turns it down or shows no sign of reaction - unfortunately, this is very often the case. We believe that every author with a good manuscript is supposed to have a fair chance on the book market. It is our purpose to provide this opportunity."

This STINKS of playing to author egos to set them up for a request for money. Real publishers market books and don't need to splash a sales pitch to desperate authors on the front of their site.

Real publishers front-face their websites to BOOK BUYERS not AUTHORS.

They are going to ask you for money. They stink of being a vanity press or "subsidy press." They will feed you a bunch of B.S. about how authors are expected to pay for some parts of the process. Well, when the author pays to publish the book, we call that SELF-PUBLISHING, not "give some faux publisher money so I can tell everyone I have a publisher."

RUN.

Offline Doglover

• Cambridge, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 07:42:46 am »
    If a service contact you, a good rule to follow is to run like the wind. Certainly, I agree with Julie, but what struck me was the appalling grammar in the bit she quoted. I'd need better than that from a publisher.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline LeLune

• South Wales
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 08:09:05 am »
    If a service contact you, a good rule to follow is to run like the wind. Certainly, I agree with Julie, but what struck me was the appalling grammar in the bit she quoted. I'd need better than that from a publisher.

Thank you both for your views.
    I had Pegasus and another equally dubious "Publisher" after my work. I turned them both down politely. If you feel this is of similar ilk, I'll do the same. I am not that desperate to part with money

Thank you both. Angela.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 08:10:45 am »
    Thank you both for your views.
    I had Pegasus and another equally dubious "Publisher" after my work. I turned them both down politely. If you feel this is of similar ilk, I'll do the same. I am not that desperate to part with money

Thank you both. Angela.
    You should never pay a publisher, never, ever, no matter what they say it is for. Publishers pay the author, not the other way round.

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 02:33:27 am »
    Unsolicited "offer" ---> me:  are they serious? ---> round file.

Harlan Ellison has a response to people expecting authors to pay them (or work for free for whatever reason), which is mostly NSFW, Because Harlan uses his words, but basically states "money flows to the author". The big deal in today's publishing world is that the "providers" have shown up, ready to collect money from us for little to no benefit to us.

Offline LeLune

• South Wales
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 01:32:55 am »
    Unsolicited "offer" ---> me:  are they serious? ---> round file.

Harlan Ellison has a response to people expecting authors to pay them (or work for free for whatever reason), which is mostly NSFW, Because Harlan uses his words, but basically states "money flows to the author". The big deal in today's publishing world is that the "providers" have shown up, ready to collect money from us for little to no benefit to us.

Hi, and thanks.
    Maybe it's because I have excellent reviews on my books? I am prepping for an agent in the States atm in any case. See what comes of that first.

Angela
    « Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 02:15:30 am by LeLune »

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 03:55:15 am »
    Yes, it could be because of the reviews. I would concentrate on getting the agent, and forget about this company completely. Good luck!

Offline Sam Kates

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Sam Kates
    « Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 04:34:31 am »
    Yes, good luck. (We're from the same tiny part of the universe, a very nice place to be right now with the sun shining for once.)

Offline inmymind

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 02:37:28 am »
    Hello everyone, I have been writing a science fiction book for almost 20 years. Of course, again and again with interruptions ;-) But now in Corona times I had found more time and motivation again and started writing more. Meanwhile I am already looking for possibilities to publish the book which is still in the made. Selfpublishing is rather nothing for me. I would rather get feedback from professional people and finally publish a decent book. I've already written to a few publishers, but I've only received feedback from Novum Publishers, which of course I was happy about, because apparently, it's common that you don't get any feedback from many publishers... I know that people have been asked about some experiences with that publisher, but has anyone ever had any real contact with it and at best published a book there? I am also willing to invest in my book if I can get professional help. I expect a better book than in self-publishing. What other tips do you have when it comes to publishing a book? Thanks in advance for the experiences and help.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 05:41:52 am »
    Selfpublishing is rather nothing for me. I would rather get feedback from professional people and finally publish a decent book.

Are you saying that no self published books are decent books? If you are, you have certainly come to the wrong place. If you want to spend years hoping a publisher will agree to spend money on publishing you, then give you a miserable 10% or thereabouts for your efforts, and still expect you to do all the marketing - then good luck. But please do not come to a forum whose members are nearly all self published authors, most of them successful, and tell us we are nothing.

I expect a better book than in self-publishing.

Do you, indeed? What do you think self publishing is? I'd say it is not relying on others and getting feedback and opinions from the people who really count - the readers. It also means more input, more control, more money. Have you ever read a book that has been self published?

Thanks in advance for the experiences and help.

You don't really want our experience, though do you?

As to Novum, all I can say is contact them, submit your manuscript and see if they want paying. If they do, they are not a publisher.

Please start a new thread for new subjects.

Offline J. Tanner

• California
      • View Profile
      • J. Tanner vs. the Page
    « Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 09:06:16 am »
    I would rather get feedback from professional people and finally publish a decent book. I've already written to a few publishers, but I've only received feedback from Novum Publishers, which of course I was happy about, because apparently, it's common that you don't get any feedback from many publishers... I know that people have been asked about some experiences with that publisher, but has anyone ever had any real contact with it and at best published a book there?

Novum is a vanity press:
    https://accrispin.blogspot.com/2018/07/vanity-publisher-alert-novum-publishing.html

This means the following:
    1) Feedback from them is meaningless. They respond to everyone even if you submit completely unreadable prose.
    2) Their goal is to charge you $2000 to $8000 to "publish" your book. A legitimate publisher pays you, not the other way around.
    3) They have no intent to actually sell books to anyone but you.
    4) Your book will not be more professional than a self-published book.

I am also willing to invest in my book if I can get professional help.
    The smart way to do that is to self-publish. The less smart way to do that is to vanity publish.

The smart alternative to self-publishing is sticking to legitimate trade publishers who pay authors, not charge them.
    J. Tanner vs. the Page (blog)

Collection        | Appearing in                          | Stories                                        (KU)          (KU)        | Action/Adventure Series

Offline ImaWriter

• Canada
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 10:33:29 am »
    Selfpublishing is rather nothing for me. I would rather get feedback from professional people and finally publish a decent book. I've already written to a few publishers, but I've only received feedback from Novum Publishers, which of course I was happy about, because apparently, it's common that you don't get any feedback from many publishers... I know that people have been asked about some experiences with that publisher, but has anyone ever had any real contact with it and at best published a book there?

[Bold mine.]

Might I suggest you do some actual research into the industry you would like to become a part of?

First of all, you post an incredibility insulting post in a forum of many successful indie authors. Some of us used to be trad but left it. Some are hybrid. Some have only been indie. You clearly don't think so, but we are "professional people."

And it's true, the chances of getting feedback from real traditional publishers is almost zero. However, vanity pubs like Novum? They will respond to anyone, even those whose work is utter garbage. Because they are a vanity press. If you don't know what that means, that's a great place to start your research.

But here's a tip: Real publishers and professional indies, be they authors or editors, will give you honest feedback, which most people really don't want to hear. Vanity pubs will blow sunshine up your ass, because that's what you are paying them to do.

Offline chrisstevenson

• Los Angeles
    • Warrior Writer
      • View Profile
      • Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers
    « Reply #13 on: October 25, 2020, 08:20:40 pm »
    From the top of Guerrilla Warfare for Writers, from where I come, and as Harlan Ellison's long lost lil bro, Tell this Vanity act to shove it and be on your way. Self-publishing, or any legit small press is better than anything these salivating dogs can produce. Money flow to the author. Not the other way around. (Aside from ad investments, which should net you a ROI profit).
    Guerrilla Warfare For Writers (special weapons and tactics)
    http://guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com/

Christy's Young Adult Fabuliers https://christysyoungadultimagineers.com/

Amazon Page: https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Harold-Stevenson/e/B001K8UUBK

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #14 on: October 25, 2020, 09:33:55 pm »
    Hello everyone, I have been writing a science fiction book for almost 20 years. Of course, again and again with interruptions ;-) But now in Corona times I had found more time and motivation again and started writing more. Meanwhile I am already looking for possibilities to publish the book which is still in the made. Selfpublishing is rather nothing for me. I would rather get feedback from professional people and finally publish a decent book. I've already written to a few publishers, but I've only received feedback from Novum Publishers, which of course I was happy about, because apparently, it's common that you don't get any feedback from many publishers... I know that people have been asked about some experiences with that publisher, but has anyone ever had any real contact with it and at best published a book there? I am also willing to invest in my book if I can get professional help. I expect a better book than in self-publishing. What other tips do you have when it comes to publishing a book? Thanks in advance for the experiences and help.

So, self-publishing is nothing to you? Then you sure came to the wrong place.

Novum Publishing is a vanity press, so I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that they wrote you back. They will charge you money and then won't worry about selling your book to anyone. I took a look at the ranks of a several of books they've published. A couple of them have no sales ranks at all, which means they haven't sold any. And the rest all had ranks in the millions, even the ones that have been published in the last six months. One of them was even ranked at 12 million.

Offline ShawnaReads

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 09:57:06 pm »

This person dredged up a years-old thread to throw shade on self-publishing and subtly try to make this vanity press look better. Just wanted to point that out, since saying what I suspect about this person directly is probably not allowed.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 25, 2020, 11:40:06 pm »
    This person dredged up a years-old thread to throw shade on self-publishing and subtly try to make this vanity press look better. Just wanted to point that out, since saying what I suspect about this person directly is probably not allowed.
    I can imagine what that is, but let's say what we have here is someone like many I have come across, who really believe any publisher is better than no publisher and swallow the compliments that will go with the 'offer'. There is a reason it's only a vanity publisher who has written back.

OP: if you have spent 20 years writing this thing, I suspect you won't live long enough to become a writer.

Offline unkownwriter

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 08:36:32 am »
    This person dredged up a years-old thread to throw shade on self-publishing and subtly try to make this vanity press look better.

Not the first time this has happened. It's typical that any such thread gets a few new members popping in the sing the praises of topic of conversation. That this one had to go back two years to revive the thread is crazy. Business must be bad, if they need new attention.

At any rate, to the newbies watching, always research anything that gets sent to you. The legit publishers have no need to cold-call anybody, they get enough business just existing.

Offline inmymind

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: November 26, 2020, 07:41:57 am »
    Hello and thank you for the answers.

Doglover, I don't want to say at all that self-published books are of bad quality. However, I think that you can also boost the quality of your book if you get help from a professional publisher. But I'm glad to hear that you have so much success with self-publishing. I'm sure it took some time so that you can really make a living from it, right? My "only" goal  is to have a professionally made book in my hands that readers like to read. I don't want to get rich from that. 
    And of course, I have already read books that have been self-published. There were a few good ones, but Ive also read some that I didnt enjoy that much. In general, I rather read books from publishers but I dont have any particular preference
    I, for example, have no contacts and wouldn't even know where to turn if I wanted to publish a book myself. There are so many different things involved, such as editing, proofreading, marketing, cover design, etc. Surely you would have to pay for these services as well, right? Personally, I would prefer to get those services from one source.

J. Tanner, have you ever contacted the publisher yourself? And why do you think that the books are not sold anywhere? I have already seen books from that publisher in a library...
    ImaWriter, I do not want to say that you are not successful. Anyways, I dont know you well enough to be able to estimate how successful you are. Sorry if there was a misunderstanding. I am even more happy that I can get tips from professional people here! :-) Speaking about honest feedbackof course, this is also important to me. But I do not want to be demotivated by the feedback I get. I would like to work with somebody together in order to improve the quality of the book.

ShayneRutherford, did you all publish your first book by yourself?

ShawnaReads, I'm not talking bad about self-publishing. I just feel that it's nothing for ME. What was it like with your first publications? Did you think you could publish a good book by yourself?

Offline ShawnaReads

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: November 26, 2020, 07:56:11 am »
    What was it like with your first publications? Did you think you could publish a good book by yourself?

Absolutely.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
      • View Profile
      • My Website
    « Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 10:32:03 am »
    ShayneRutherford, did you all publish your first book by yourself?

So far I've only published a short story and a novelette, but yes, I published them myself.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 01:28:25 am »

Doglover, I don't want to say at all that self-published books are of bad quality. However, I think that you can also boost the quality of your book if you get help from a professional publisher. But I'm glad to hear that you have so much success with self-publishing. I'm sure it took some time so that you can really make a living from it, right? My "only" goal  is to have a professionally made book in my hands that readers like to read. I don't want to get rich from that. 
    And of course, I have already read books that have been self-published. There were a few good ones, but I’ve also read some that I didn’t enjoy that much. In general, I rather read books from publishers… but I don’t have any particular preference…
    I, for example, have no contacts and wouldn't even know where to turn if I wanted to publish a book myself. There are so many different things involved, such as editing, proofreading, marketing, cover design, etc. Surely you would have to pay for these services as well, right? Personally, I would prefer to get those services from one “source”.

I would like to address each argument separately, but quite frankly, I can't be bothered. the dog's waiting for her morning run and she is far more important.

Firstly, You don't want to say that all self published books are of bad quality; but that is precisely what you did say. Secondly, you can boost the quality of your book by getting help from professional publishers. That could well be true, but you won't get it unless they take up your book. A vanity publisher, which is what Norvum is, is not a professional publisher. They won't help you, they won't even edit for you, they'll just tell you how great you are.

It didn't take long to make a few quid at writing, but I wasn't bothered about making a living from it back then. I have income from other sources. After some advertising, I am now making enough, thanks for asking.

Your only goal is to have a professional book in your hands? Great ambition, but you won't get that from a vanity publisher, nor will you get the editing, cover design and all the other stuff that we, as independent publishers, are happy to pay for. But that's different, because we know what we're getting for our money.

I have read many books from top traditional publishers that I haven't enjoyed; are you saying that has never happened? I have only recently sent one back after one chapter and given up on another before the end. Both trad published, both best sellers.

You can get a professional book published either via Amazon or via Ingram Spark and nobody is going to charge you thousands for it.

Do you imagine we all knew where to start when we first published? Of course not. So, instead of coming to a forum and insulting everyone, we went to Amazon and read the instructions.

That's it; dog is waiting.
    « Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 03:14:46 am by Doglover »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement