Author Topic: Now Perma-free! No Good Deed: Book One in the Mark Taylor Series  (Read 10779 times)  

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
Now Perma-free in all Kindle stores, as far as I can tell. I'm not positive about Brazil, but all the others are free. :D

Mark Taylor is the quintessential reluctant hero. With a camera that snaps photos of the future, he has a day to change the photos--to prevent tragedies from happening. His attempts to prevent 9/11 bring him to the attention of the authorities, but they don't believe that he was trying to prevent the attacks. Instead, they label him an enemy combatant and lock him in the brig. With the camera gone--taken by the Feds--he must find a way to prove his innocence, but with no trial and no rights, will he ever get the chance?

This book, while having a sci-fi or paranormal twist, sticks as close to real life a possible. It isn't for the faint of heart and has been called intense, disturbing and made more than a few readers squirm. Fans of Zero Dark Thirty, Person of Interest and Quantum Leap, would find No Good Deed right up their alley.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:10:09 am by MaryMcDonald »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline HelenSmith

• London, UK
    • Mysteries, quirky comedies and a dystopian novel
      • View Profile
      • emperorsclothes.co.uk
    Re: NO GOOD DEED--my Kindle offering
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 02:52:43 am »
    Good luck with it, Mary

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not really a moderator. :)
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 10:32:41 am »
    Welcome to KindleBoards, Mary, and congratulations on your book!

We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Be sure to read the fine print below. Don't forget to bookmark this thread so you can update it.  Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, most of our authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards!  Feel free to PM us if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
    Book Bazaar Moderators

The fine print:
    Please add to your existing book thread when you have news about your book rather than start a new one, it helps the members who are trying to follow you.  You may have a separate thread for each of your books.   We recommend you bookmark your post so that you can find it in the future.   ;) You may respond to all posts, but if there have been no member posts, we ask that you wait a week before "bumping" the thread by posting back-to-back posts of your own.  And we ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead. All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. From time to time our site rules may change; be sure to check Forum Decorum (https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,36.0.html) for the current guidelines and rules. :D

My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 02:44:21 pm »
    Thanks for the advice.  :)  I have the avatar and signature link covered, but I didn't think to bookmark the thread.

Offline Imogen Rose

• View Profile
      • Imogen Rose
    « Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 02:47:55 pm »
    Sounds interesting!  Good luck with it, Mary.

Imogen

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 05:36:48 pm »
    Thanks, Imogene.  ;D

Offline Imogen Rose

• View Profile
      • Imogen Rose
    « Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 05:55:15 pm »

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 07:59:03 pm »
    Haha!  ;D

That is such an awesome moon on your cover. My husband has a pretty cool looking picture of the moon. It has a few wispy clouds in front of it.

Offline Imogen Rose

• View Profile
      • Imogen Rose
    « Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 08:10:43 pm »
    Haha!  ;D

That is such an awesome moon on your cover. My husband has a pretty cool looking picture of the moon. It has a few wispy clouds in front of it.

Thanks, Mary. You can often spot your Imogene in her backyard (in her pajamas and rainboots) with her camera set up, hoping for nice moon pics. Is your hubby into photography as well?

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 08:25:02 pm »
    Yeah, he's a photographer but he does sports primarily. Every once in awhile, he'll do some good artistic photos. There's a thumbnail of his moon pic. It would make a pretty awesome cover too.

Whoops, guess that didn't work. Here's  a link to the pic if you want to see.http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v30/maryilee/?action=view&current=moon.jpg
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 08:26:35 pm by MaryMcDonald »

Offline Imogen Rose

• View Profile
      • Imogen Rose
    « Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 08:53:51 pm »
    Yeah, he's a photographer but he does sports primarily. Every once in awhile, he'll do some good artistic photos. There's a thumbnail of his moon pic. It would make a pretty awesome cover too.

Whoops, guess that didn't work. Here's  a link to the pic if you want to see.http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v30/maryilee/?action=view&current=moon.jpg

Great pic!! I dabble in sport pics as well (my daughter plays hockey) but I'm not very good at those.

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 05:11:02 am »
    I'm off to spend the weekend with my sister's family at their lake house.  ;D I won't have any internet access. I sure hope I don't go into withdrawl!

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 05:21:00 am »
    Oh no! I just tried to make my bookcover a link in my siggy, and it looked fine in the link-maker, but it's not working here. There's no instructions on the link maker what to do after making the link. I've tried hitting 'Save Profile', and tried doing nothing.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 05:31:55 am »
    Once you make the link. . .you do need to select it and copy it into the signature area on your profile. . . .if it's too big you can use "width=100" to adjust for size:

[img width=100]

Then if you save your profile it should be there. . . .depending on browser setting, you may have to close and open the browser to clear and reset the cache.

If it still doesn't work, I recommend you send a PM to Verena (pidgeon92) she's very good at such manipulations and, as a global mod, can make the adjustments for you if it's not working right.  I recall she has said that sometimes it's temperamental.

Enjoy your weekend!
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 06:46:56 am »
    Thanks, Ann. I got it to show up huge, but when I tried to shrink it, it disappeared entirely. I have to get going, and so I guess I'll have to leave the very ugly link I have down there for the weekend.  :(

Oh well. My cover is my avatar.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 07:04:27 am »
    Probably you put the sizing code in the wrong place or lost a bracket or something. . .send a PM to pidgeon92 before you leave. . .she may have time to fix it up for you while you're gone. . . .
    My Kindles
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 04:49:26 pm »
    Probably you put the sizing code in the wrong place or lost a bracket or something. . .send a PM to pidgeon92 before you leave. . .she may have time to fix it up for you while you're gone. . . .

Well, I'm back now. lol. I didn't see your reply until just now. When I made my last post, my husband and daughter were literally waiting in the car for me.  ;D I'm going to play around with the code a bit more, see if I can fix it when I'm not under a time crunch.

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 08:17:16 am »
    I thought I'd go ahead an post an excerpt. This scene takes place at Mark's parents' house the night he comes home from being held as an enemy combatant for over a year. His father is angry at him, his mother worried, neither understand exactly what happened to their son.

"So, why did they let you go if they didn't believe you? Couldn't they make the charges stick?"
       "I wasn't charged with anything."
       "What? That doesn't make sense. So, it never went to trial?" His dad sounded surprised.
       Mark picked at his finger with his thumbnail, worrying a ragged cuticle. "I never had a hearing let alone a trial."
       His father leaned forward. "I don't understand. What happened? Start at the beginning, without all that camera crap."
       Mark sighed. "First, they locked me in cell in Chicago for a few weeks, I guess. I spoke to a lawyer once, but then I was moved to another place. A naval brig. I only found out yesterday that it was in Charleston." He shivered at the memory of the first terrifying transport spent in near total sensory deprivation, when he hadn't known where he was going.
       "What's wrong? Did something happen?"
       Surprised at his dad's perception, Mark shook his head.
       "You're not telling us something." His mom's brow furrowed.
       He glanced between his parents. They didn't need to hear anymore; didn't need to know the ugly details.  Especially his mother. "Listen, I'm kind of tired. Can we talk about this tomorrow?"

Offline Imogen Rose

• View Profile
      • Imogen Rose
    « Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 12:14:30 am »
    Started reading this book today, really enjoying it.

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 07:38:33 am »
    Started reading this book today, really enjoying it.

Thanks, Imogen.  ;D

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 10:04:28 am »
    I'm so excited! I received my first two reviews in a 24 hour period. The first was from Imogene Rose, whom we all know as the amazing author of Portal. I was very happy with her review.

My second came in last night, and I couldn't be happier. What I found funny was both Imogene and Dolphin (the second reviewer) were able to summarize my book better than I did.  ;D

Here's what Dolphin says:

No Good Deed is an intense, page-turning thriller that grabs you right from the very beginning. I thoroughly enjoyed the read. From today's headlines, photographer Mark Taylor finds himself in the incredulous position of being arrested as a homegrown terrorist and incarcerated at a secret location ... only he's not a terrorist, yet no one believes him. An unfortunate set of circumstances combined with a systematic campaign by the government to discredit him causes even those closest to Taylor to doubt his innocence. No one can defend a terrorist, and so he is left alone. His unyielding resolve to maintain his innocence tests his sanity, his belief in the people and the world he knows, as well as his very will to live.

Author, Mary McDonald, creates a post-September 11th world full of over-zealous governmental agencies, disappearing witnesses, and a mysterious camera that produces photos depicting future events and disturbing dreams for Taylor ... that can sometimes be changed. Her insight into law enforcement and procedures makes the story plausible. Her character development and descriptions of details drew me into the action to where I felt as if I was truly there, transported into the book.

I highly recommend No Good Deed and look forward to reading future works written by Mary McDonald.

Offline Imogen Rose

• View Profile
      • Imogen Rose
    « Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 10:57:58 am »
    I just wanted to stop by and thank you for a really good read. I look forward to your next one.

Imogen

Offline Imogen Rose

• View Profile
      • Imogen Rose
    « Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 12:18:12 pm »
    Interview with Mary McDonald on Breakout Books Reviews today:

http://breakoutbooks.blogspot.com/2010/06/no-good-deed-by-mary-mcdonald.html

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 09:46:53 am »
    Interview with Mary McDonald on Breakout Books Reviews today:

http://breakoutbooks.blogspot.com/2010/06/no-good-deed-by-mary-mcdonald.html

I had so much fun answering those questions, Imogen. The one about research is my favorite because researching showed me things I couldn't have imagined. Many times the declassified memos were so redacted, I had to try and figure out what the memo was about from other clues.  :o

Unrelated to that, but related to my book, Mia Hayson, at Literary Jam and Toast has an amazing Giveaway Event on her blog. One of her prizes is my book.  ;D  There are lots of other prizes, including a free bookcover, a critique, other books, etc. Something for everyone.

Offline JumpingShip

• View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 09:52:45 am »
    I'm excited as I received a few more reviews in addition to the awesome one Imogen Rose gave me. Here is the latest one:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading No Good Deed. The first five chapters were consumed in the blink of an eye. I didn't want to put the book down.

The themes are very relevant, and could have been yanked right out of today's headlines: terrorists, controversial interrogation techniques, and the rights (or lack thereof) of detainees. I always just kind of assumed detainees were legitimate bad guys who had it coming. But what if they're not? No Good Deed explores that question in a riveting, page turning way.

Not my usual genre, but I'm glad I read it!

I re-uploaded the book again two days ago and it went live. It looks great on my sample download on my Kindle app for PC. I would love if someone with an actual Kindle could download the sample and let me know if it looks right on that too.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement