Author Topic: Android news reviews and tips: DROID, XOOM, RAZR, etc. . . . .  (Read 78894 times)  

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Craig-Hasen.com
Re: Android news reviews and tips: DROID, XOOM, RAZR, etc. . . . .
« Reply #1100 on: September 10, 2012, 12:45:15 am »
I love Google Play Music.

Way easier to use than iTunes.
I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    Re: Re: Android news reviews and tips: DROID, XOOM, RAZR, etc. . . . .
    « Reply #1101 on: September 10, 2012, 07:56:42 am »
    https://t-mobile.jive-mobile.com/#jive-discussion?content=%2Fapi%2Fcore%2Fv1%2Fdiscussions%2F4908

Hi Craig...It is scary when pictures disappear!

Check out the above thread, it appears you are not the first to have this problem.

If that doesn't work my only suggestion is to look at settings in your camera app to see if the save location has been changed to something screwy.

If the pictures are worth it, you could try hooking your phone to the computer and using a file manager to search through all the folders for jpegs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #1102 on: September 10, 2012, 12:51:31 pm »
    Just as an update, I took a couple photos around the apartment last night before bed. Boring, throwaway shots, as a test.

By today, those two shots had disappeared, too. Totally gone. Strong signal area the whole time.
    I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #1103 on: September 10, 2012, 01:14:53 pm »
    Okay, powered down the phone, unmounted, remounted, and rebooted.

The pictures are back... at least for now. :/

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #1104 on: September 20, 2012, 08:49:50 pm »
    If you are thinking of buying a Nexus 7, the $25 Google Play credit will not be given if you buy after September 30th!

http://play.google.com/intl/en_us/about/offer-terms.html

As I understand the offer terms, once you have the balance, it is good until September 2013 (this is not a promise, just what I understood).  But you won't receive the credit if you don't buy before the end of this month.  So if you are wavering, you may want to decide and act one way or the other!

(note to mods, cross-posted from the Nexus 7 thread in "Other readers", but I suspect there are people who visit one of these forums and not the other).
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #1105 on: September 21, 2012, 01:45:24 am »
    I spent my $25 credit well. :)

But I'll probably lose my $10 credit on my Google Wallet, because there's not many places that use PayPass where I am... and one of the few places that did, the NFC thing didn't work very smoothly and their cashiers weren't trained on it, so I had to just use a MasterCard debit/credit card instead.

I think the problem is that right now, only my tablet has NFC, and it's WiFi only, and that store had restrictions on their "free WiFi."

So I think NFC may be handier with a phone that can use a 4G network and not have to rely on being in a WiFi hotspot.

But by the time I can upgrade my phone to a Google Wallet-compatible model with NFC, I'll have long since lost that free $10 credit on Google Wallet.
    « Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 01:47:49 am by CraigInTwinCities »

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #1106 on: September 25, 2012, 08:32:04 am »
    Upgraded from my old HTC Aria to an HTC One X yesterday. Really liking it... but boy is it huge! 4.7" 1280x720 screen is incredible.

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #1107 on: September 25, 2012, 02:44:44 pm »
    Upgraded from my old HTC Aria to an HTC One X yesterday. Really liking it... but boy is it huge! 4.7" 1280x720 screen is incredible.

That's nice.

I am thinking I'll wait till at least November, and maybe a bit longer, because I have my eye on a specific phone just recently announced for the US and for T-Mo.

And it'll make the One X look tiny:

http://www.samsung.com/us/register/galaxy-note-2-smartphone/

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #1108 on: September 25, 2012, 07:42:48 pm »
    Yeah, that's a bit big for a pocket Craig... hehe...

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #1109 on: September 25, 2012, 08:59:42 pm »
    Yeah, that's a bit big for a pocket Craig... hehe...

Depends on the pocket. I can fit a K3K in mine, so a Note 2 would be no problem.

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #1110 on: September 27, 2012, 08:26:44 am »
    This 4.7" device is definitely the limit for my pockets. Love the Note though, especially if it can eliminate the need for two devices.

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #1111 on: November 07, 2012, 04:37:12 am »
    Well, the waiting game is over, folks.

On Tuesday, I cast my vote.

Not related to politics, mind you. No, Tuesday was the day I finally upgraded my phone.

I've been unsatisfied with my heavy, bulky, tiny-screen T-Mobile G2 for QUITE a while.

At various times, I've flirted with the Samsung Galaxy Note, the Samsung Galaxy SIII, and the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

And while I found the Note 2 very tempting... I also found the SIII very much a bargain!

At my local Wal-Mart, I was able to get into an SIII for a mere $148.00

That's it; that's all.

So, yeah, it's ICS at the moment instead of Jelly Bean, it's 4.8 instead of 5.5, and it's dual-core instead of quad-core.

But... the SIII is still a great phone. Especially at $148. No mail-in rebates to mess around with, either.

Our long national nightmare is now over.

I am now the proud owner of a Samsung Galaxy SIII. I've spent most of the night customizing it, downloading stuff, and getting it to where I want it.

Which almost makes up for having to endure that OTHER election... ;) LOL

Two more years on T-Mo, now, before I have to worry about upgrading again.

(And three more before the nation begins considering upgrade options on that OTHER stuff... blech... but three years of silence, yay!)

So, my device lineup now is completely refreshed, and looks like this:

PC: A new Dell, less than a year old.
    Laptop: I still have my two-and-a-half year old Asus... but it's strictly a backup machine at this point.
    Tablet: Google Nexus 7 by Asus (16 GB) ... replaces both my laptop and my iPod nano, in different respects
    eReader: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
    Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy SIII (16 GB) (White)

With the exception of the laptop, which I'm not getting rid of because it works fine for the limited uses I still have for it, every single device/piece of tech I own has been completely refreshed this year.

For that matter, my iPod nano is still with me, too, but I just don't use it ... at all.

Which means, barring the unforeseen, I won't need to buy a new piece of technology until 2014!

Yay!
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 04:38:49 am by CraigInTwinCities »

Offline gadgetgirl003

• View Profile
    « Reply #1112 on: November 07, 2012, 05:00:57 am »
    Craig, I've been waiting for this post from you because I remembered that you had said you were eligible for your upgrade in November.  :) I had been eagerly awaiting the release of theNote II and like you, even though I think the specs for the Note II are good, I am thinking that for now I will pass. I have been seriously considering getting the Nexus 4 from Google because I like the price ($299 unlocked), but don't know if I am willing to give up wifi calling. Congrats on your new phone. I look forward to reading your impressions on your new phone.
    PS I never use my Nano anymore either. I use my Samsung Galaxy S as my "iPod" most of the time. :)

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #1113 on: November 07, 2012, 05:59:40 am »
    Which carrier are you with Gadget Girl? If you're with AT&T, I'd think twice about the Nexus 4 due to the lack of LTE...

Offline gadgetgirl003

• View Profile
    « Reply #1114 on: November 07, 2012, 06:10:23 am »
    Which carrier are you with Gadget Girl? If you're with AT&T, I'd think twice about the Nexus 4 due to the lack of LTE...
    T-mobile. I have three of my kids on my plan and I don't want to extend my contract and possibly have all four of us locked into T-mobile for another two years. Right now I use less than 100MB of data per month. Each of my kids use no more than that also; therefore, I don't think it would bother us not to have LTE even if we changed carriers.
    « Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 06:12:05 am by gadgetgirl003 »

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #1115 on: November 07, 2012, 06:15:07 am »
    Yeah, that makes total sense. If you had AT&T, I would say LTE makes a huge difference, but for your needs the Nexus 4 should be an outstanding choice!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    Re: Re: Android news reviews and tips: DROID, XOOM, RAZR, etc. . . . .
    « Reply #1116 on: November 07, 2012, 06:51:20 am »
    Congrats on your S3,Craig! I am a bit surprised, I figured your love for the Note 2 would win out. I have been intrigued by the Note 2 myself, but I don't get a subsidized upgrade until next November, and paying full price to upgrade my RAZR MAXX would be insane when it is less than a year old.

Gadget Girl, good luck with your Nexus if you go that route!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #1117 on: November 08, 2012, 01:24:14 am »
    I still admire the Note II, Claw. Quite a bit.

But practicality won out; now my wife and I have the same phones as each other.

And while 5.5 is bigger for sure, 4.8 is no slouch in the "big screen" department considering my last phone was 3.7-inch.

So far, I'm still "getting settled in" on my SIII.

Tonight, in fact, I bought both myself and my wife a high-impact gelskin each, that'll make small accidental drops less of a "sudden heart attack" sort of moment. The cases are by Cellaris and mine has a "kickstand" so I can watch movies on it without holding it.

I do appreciate the larger screen; playing My Clinic (I think that's the name of it) reveals a lot of extra detail that just didn't fit onto the G2.

I think the fact that I have a Nexus 7 tablet also helped make me happy with an SIII instead of a Note 2.

But the big difference maker was just my current budget situation. $148 for an SIII at Wal-Mart is a lot more attractive than a Note 2 that is $369 on a Classic plan on T-Mo, or $299 at Wal-Mart (if you can find one).

I mean... a Note 2 is a good phone/tablet, but is it twice as good (or technically almost 2.5 times better) than an SIII? Not for me. So I opted for the affordable phone that's probably about 90-95 percent as good (and as fast) as the Note 2.

But while that's all lovely right now... don't be upset, Claw, at your contract. Just think... next November, you can glory in the purchase of a Galaxy SIV or Note 3, if you wish... :)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #1118 on: November 08, 2012, 04:38:40 pm »
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/11/08/verizons-4g-lte-rollout-will-be-complete-by-mid-2013-and-this-actually-has-some-cool-implications/

This article is interesting.  It reports that in order to use a block of spectrum that Verizon wants to use, they have to open up all of their network to unlocked phones.  Assuming it is accurate, and Verizon doesn't find a way to weasel out of it, It will mean it will be easier for us to shift between networks if we desire.

Not everyone here has Verizon, but I assume this may mean LTE phones from AT&T can move to Verizon also.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #1119 on: November 14, 2012, 06:31:49 pm »
    Owners of the Nexus 7 will soon be getting the 4.2 update.  Here's a quick review about it on the Nexus 7.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/11/14/android-4-2-on-nexus-7-review-first-impressions-and-performance/

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #1120 on: November 15, 2012, 02:06:18 am »
    Owners of the Nexus 7 will soon be getting the 4.2 update.  Here's a quick review about it on the Nexus 7.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/11/14/android-4-2-on-nexus-7-review-first-impressions-and-performance/

Thanks.

I received the 4.2 update this afternoon but haven't really played around with it much to see what's different...

I have noticed that Settings can't be accessed from the pull-down menu anymore, though...

Although an icon of TheHoodedClaw is now permanently etched into my background image/homescreen, so... that's odd.

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #1121 on: November 15, 2012, 07:11:57 am »
    The popular pieces of the 4.2 update that I've seen floating around XDA for the past couple weeks have been the updated camera and the keyboard that now allows Swype-style typing -- and not only with one finger, but two. A novel concept, that sounds complicated but is apparently very fast once you get used to it.

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #1122 on: November 15, 2012, 07:14:50 am »
    I've heard 4.2 has "pinch to zoom" but maybe only in some apps. Not sure.

If so, that'd be nice.

If so, Apple will file yet another "patent infringement" suit, I'm sure... they just can't stop suing everyone who's outdoing them. ;)

Offline Lee

• View Profile
    « Reply #1123 on: November 18, 2012, 08:17:37 am »
    Six months ago I posted about choosing a smartphone.  I ended up getting the HTC Titan II, which uses the Windows Phone OS.  It's got a 4.7 inch screen.  I had wanted a big screen because my thought at the time was that I would use it for reading when out during the day, because carrying a Kindle among my tightly-packed stuff was proving difficult.

Six months later, I decided to get a new phone.  I like Windows Phone, it's esthetically appealing and very simple to use, but I began finding it kind of limited.  Specifically, I really wanted to try Swype or similar program for text entry, and I couldn't do that on WP (or on iOS).  

Also, to my surprise, I found the phone too big!  I have normal-size guy's hands and I find the Titan II awkward to hold when using one-handed, which I often have to do because I'm pulling a wheeled case with my job-related equipment every day.  And I now have a differently-shaped wheeled case which has ample room for a Kindle, so I don't need to do a lot of reading on my phone anymore.  I'm on AT&T, so I looked for a fairly recent Android phone that was smaller, and I couldn't find any!  The Motorola Atrix has a 4.5 screen, but the device itself is actually larger than my Titan.

So I did finally find a phone that was perfect -- the Morotrola Droid Razr M, with a 4.3 inch screen -- but it's on Verizon.  I hope I don't sound insane, but I actually broke my contract with AT&T and paid the early termination fee so that I could switch to Verizon and get the Razr M.

So yesterday I got the phone.  So far, it's great.  The Jelly Bean 4.1 update was released for this phone a few days ago, and I was able to get it on the phone by clicking on System Updates.  Swype is pre-installed on the phone, so all I had to do was set it as the default keyboard.  I love Swype!  

Since I'm new to Android, it's taking me a bit of time to set things up and figure things out.  The learning curve is a little steeper, but so far I've been doing okay, with the help of tutorials on the Verizon Wireless site, and tutorials on the phone.  Problems can generally be solved by thinking things through and some trial and error.  So far I like it a lot.

I only tried the Kindle app briefly, but I can tell you that there's a world of difference between Kindle for Android and Kindle for Windows Phone.  The Windows Phone app is rudimentary, has no dictionary look-up, and doesn't work very well.

They offered me the choice of the old plan or the new Shared plan.  I chose the new plan.  My account has only me, and I'm a very light data user, so I'll be paying $90 a month, which includes 1GB of data.  The old plan would have had me paying $100.  Also I do need to sometimes tether for work purposes, and I don't know if the old plan allows for that.

So if anyone's looking for an up-to-date Android phone which is small enough to hold comfortably, I recommend the Droid Razr M!
    « Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:25:29 am by Lee »

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #1124 on: November 18, 2012, 09:05:39 am »
    Welcome to android Lee, and congrats on your Razr M. There are lots of neat applications out there to try, hopefully you can find other ways to use your phone for useful or fun stuff.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement