Author Topic: Android news reviews and tips: DROID, XOOM, RAZR, etc. . . . .  (Read 78896 times)  

Offline Lee

• View Profile
Re: Android news reviews and tips: DROID, XOOM, RAZR, etc. . . . .
« Reply #1125 on: November 18, 2012, 09:20:03 am »
Thanks Hooded Claw!  I'm going to have fun over the coming weeks exploring the Google Play store.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1126 on: December 26, 2012, 08:28:06 pm »
    Ooooh Oooooh Oooooh! I've got a new toy.  :D
    Got an HTC Droid DNA for Xmas yesterday (quad-core, 1080p screen......).
    Still getting it set up, but so far it's grand.   ::)
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Scheherazade

• Hampton, VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1127 on: December 26, 2012, 08:56:06 pm »
    After giving up my cell phone quite a while ago because $100 a month was just too much for me to pay to sit at home with it mostly and hardly ever receive calls... I'm finally back in the Android game!  I have had a Fire for a while, but the whole "walled garden" approach Amazon uses to limit the Android features turned me off a lot.  I love it for reading and the things it does do, but there was so much it didn't do that I found myself constantly wanting more out of it and the prospect of rooting the device didn't appeal to me.  So... long story short, I just got an Asus Transformer Pad Infinity and am now trying to get my bearings in this Google Play Store again.  It wasn't even called that the last time I accessed it on my phone, I think.

I'm really liking the tablet so far.  It seems to have pretty good battery life and is really responsive.  It's not the best screen you can get, but it's close.  It was a neck and neck race between this and Google's Nexus 10 which I think does have the best screen on the market right now, but it also has no expansion slots for extra memory and that was a real deal breaker for me.  As soon as I get the keyboard expansion for my Asus it'll not only have a full SD Card expansion slot, but it'll also 2 USB ports that can run more devices like mice and even external hard drives.  On top of that it gives the tablet another 6-7 hours of battery life and, of course, a physical keyboard and a screen stand.

And grats to everyone else who got new toys over the holidays!
    "A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read."  - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    « Reply #1128 on: December 26, 2012, 10:41:43 pm »
    Congrats Carol and Schezerade!

One of my best buddies has the original Asus Transformer since it came out, he has the keyboard and loves it. Takes it everywhere and it has replaced his kindle as his reader. I think you will find you made a good purchase.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline HappyGuy

• Central FL
    • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1129 on: December 27, 2012, 05:18:47 am »
    I just received a notice that FIOS has an Apple app that allows one to watch TV on their iPad. Does anyone know if there is an app for Android devices also?
    "From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline Scheherazade

• Hampton, VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1130 on: December 27, 2012, 08:13:41 am »
    I just received a notice that FIOS has an Apple app that allows one to watch TV on their iPad. Does anyone know if there is an app for Android devices also?

The latest I can find is someone in November saying no, it isn't on Android.  I really don't understand why companies, especially big ones like Verizon, still cater exclusively to iOS.  Even if it's "Android coming soon" that's really unacceptable now.  I'm pretty sure Android has proven it has the chops to take on Apple, people need to stop treating it like the red-headed stepchild.

I can't find anywhere that anyone is saying that it's coming soon to Android.  It apparently took over a year just to come to iOS, but you'd think a port would be easier than writing from the ground up.  They do have it available on some Samsung TVs and Blu-ray players, but that's it.
    "A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read."  - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1131 on: December 27, 2012, 08:36:45 am »
    It apparently took over a year just to come to iOS, but you'd think a port would be easier than writing from the ground up.

You'd think so, but a port isn't necessarily easier than writing from the ground up. I've had it be more trouble than writing the original. IOS and Android use two very different programming languages and environments.

Sometimes it is easier to write from the ground up, but at least you have a general outline to consult.

Mike

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    Re: Re: Android news reviews and tips: DROID, XOOM, RAZR, etc. . . . .
    « Reply #1132 on: December 28, 2012, 01:07:03 am »
    Tapatalk HD finally installed on my device!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    Re: Re: Android news reviews and tips: DROID, XOOM, RAZR, etc. . . . .
    « Reply #1133 on: December 28, 2012, 01:07:55 am »
    It's in Google Play now, even though its still in beta....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    I believe the road to hell is paved with adverbs, and I will shout it from the rooftops. -Stephen King

Offline mom2karen

• View Profile
    « Reply #1134 on: December 28, 2012, 10:02:20 am »
    Buffo at I Love My Kindle http://ilmk.wordpress.com/ just posted about this TV app   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009XAJI8S/ref=as_li_tf_tl/?ie=UTF8&tag=bufosweirdworld&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B009XAJI8S.   I didn't look to see if it was at Google Play also.

I have an Asus Transformer 300 with the dock and love it.  I get apps at Amazon (watch the free apps of the day) and Google Play for it. 

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Administrator
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #1135 on: December 28, 2012, 11:20:03 am »
    From USA Today:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/12/28/five-things-top-apps-and-games/1795859/

Several tips for games and useful apps, etc, and this warning:

Android virus uses your phone to spread spam 

Android users beware! A new smartphone virus is spreading on the popular mobile platform via text message. The virus arrives as an offer for free versions of popular games, including Grand Theft Auto and Angry Birds. Once opened, the message infects a user's smartphone and automatically sends out thousands of viral messages in just a few hours.  How can you guard yourself against this virus? Make sure you only download games and apps from the Google Play store. If you receive a suspicious text message offering free games, forward the message to 7726, a free service set up to reduce spam. And take a word of advice from Cloudmark Researcher Andrew Conway: "If an offer is too good to be true, it's fake."

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #1136 on: December 29, 2012, 05:14:55 am »
    But... but...

Oh, okay.

I'll stick to Google Play...

However, I'm really worried about the ousted prince of Tanzania. He's an ultra-cool guy and it's not his fault he can't access his family's fortune through traditional means... He really does deserve my help. Must've read Most Likely and enjoyed it, I think...

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1137 on: December 29, 2012, 05:41:02 pm »

I have DirectV and downloaded Directv Everywhere to my Nexus 7.. but it appears to be a glorified Program Guide where you can schedule programs to record on your DVR... unless I'm doing something wrong which is highly likely.    I'm good with Netflix and Huluplus and Amazon  and Showtime - but I cannot figure out how to watch live TV for Directv non-prime stations..

Offline Scheherazade

• Hampton, VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1138 on: January 02, 2013, 11:56:26 am »
    I just tried out a free GPS app called Waze when borrowing a friend's phone whose regular Google GPS is all wonky for some reason.  Not sure if it's been covered here or not in the past, but thought I'd mention it as it's kind of neat.  The GPS itself seems to work pretty well and it does quick recalculations when you go off course, but the interesting part is that it is a sort of GPS community.

You sign in through Facebook or other options and get updates from other drivers in the area about accidents, slow traffic, and even police sitting with radar.  I figured this stuff would only be useful in bigger cities, but as soon as I gave it a try I had hits from several people telling people about a slow truck on a nearby road and the police lying in wait on another.  It was pretty neat.  When I found myself in traffic the app actually asked if I was in traffic so it could warn other users.

You even apparently earn points for being helpful and collecting "road munchies"... which I have no idea what are good for yet.  But yes, they have spots on the road (Santa Hats, Snowflakes, Candy Canes since it's still Christmas themed I guess) and if you drive over them you accumulate points.  Sometimes I like to go out and drive aimlessly to blow off steam... I think it'd be fun to explore by hunting down these little spots hidden away on back roads.

It has a mode where you can wave your hand over your phone or use gestures to bring up the voice recognition interface which is every bit as good as Google's (in fact I think it uses Google's) so you can do pretty much everything hands free.  My only gripe is the audio directions don't read out road names, it's one of the sorts that has the recorded phrases so they're really clear and easy to hear, but no text to speech.  If they added that I think it might be my new go to GPS... heck, it might be anyway.

Offline CegAbq

• Albuquerque, NM
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1139 on: January 02, 2013, 01:54:51 pm »
    I've seen Waze mentioned on a couple of other Android forums.
    Maybe I'll give it a try. Generally I don't like to socially announce where I am, but those features you describe are intriguing.
    Carol in 'burque

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to Skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and shouting: Damn-What a ride!

Offline Scheherazade

• Hampton, VA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1140 on: January 02, 2013, 08:34:17 pm »
    From what I can tell it doesn't tell anyone where you are unless you interact with it.  Obviously when you get a pop up from someone and it has their username and tells you "There's a slow truck on Mercury Blvd. just past the I-64 exit." you know where they are at that instant, but if you don't post those things I don't think people can use it to track you or see you as a blip on their map or anything.  I think for extra precaution I'd probably sign in under an alternate nickname... I didn't see what other options they had besides Facebook since I was sort of scrambling to get GPS going to get to my destination and just used it as default.

I think another fun thing about it which I didn't mention before is how much character it has.  It's silly, I know, to call an application cute or something... but sometimes it's fun when an app has character.  It's one of the reasons Siri is so popular when Android actually has a better voice search.  Google's voice search provides better results most of the time according to some study I saw, but Siri will joke around with you so it's more endearing to people.  The difference between Waze and Siri is that the character isn't just a gimmick that gets in the way of its functionality.

Offline Edward Lake

• Auburn, NY
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1141 on: January 04, 2013, 08:08:41 pm »
    So, this is the thread for the android. I see... 8)

Edward Lake

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #1142 on: January 05, 2013, 12:02:25 pm »
    So, this is the thread for the android. I see... 8)

Where all the Kool Kids hang out!
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

Offline spotsmom

• Sunriver, Oregon
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1143 on: January 05, 2013, 08:27:23 pm »
    Where all the Kool Kids hang out!

And former Android users who have gone over to "The Dark Side". :D

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #1144 on: February 21, 2013, 09:03:38 pm »
    We used to have a lot of discussion of alternate keyboards here.  My favorite keyboard has been updated. The reviewer from  CNET really likes the update:

http://reviews.cnet.com/software/swiftkey-4-android/4505-3513_7-35618228.html

The intro price is $1.99, allegedly it will go up to $3.99 later.  I've just purchased it, so can't comment on it from experience.

There's also a keyboard version....

Offline 911jason

• Simi Valley, CA
      • View Profile
      • Kindle Screensavers
    « Reply #1145 on: February 22, 2013, 09:05:26 am »
    Not sure if this is a great deal or not, but today's Tech Woot deal is a refurbished 32gb Motorola Xoom with a case for $199 (+ $5 shipping).

http://tech.woot.com/

Offline CraigInOregon

• Oregon
    • Novelist
      • View Profile
      • Craig-Hasen.com
    « Reply #1146 on: February 23, 2013, 12:23:45 am »
    I refuse to root my devices, so most "alternate keyboard" apps don't interest me.

The Jelly Bean default one works just fine for me anyway.

But, to take this topic in an entirely different direction...

1) I know it's overpriced at $1,299.99, and...

2) I know that the ChromeOS doesn't exactly have Photoshop and InDeisgn-level apps for it yet, and...

3) I, too, am anticipating the day when ChromeOS and Android merge into "one OS to rule them all, and in the darkness bind them."

However, all that aside...

Isn't the Google Chromebook Pixel just about the sexiest laptop ever? ;) Take that, Apple!

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1147 on: February 23, 2013, 05:13:06 am »
    I refuse to root my devices, so most "alternate keyboard" apps don't interest me.

The Jelly Bean default one works just fine for me anyway.

??? I don't think you need to root most devices to install alternate keyboards. ???  Fire, excepted, of course -- that is locked down.  But the HD ones have the SwiftKey style keyboard anyway.
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

Offline The Hooded Claw

• View Profile
    « Reply #1148 on: February 23, 2013, 06:40:11 am »
    ??? I don't think you need to root most devices to install alternate keyboards. ???  Fire, excepted, of course -- that is locked down.  But the HD ones have the SwiftKey style keyboard anyway.

That's right.  No rooting required.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
    • Not a moderator and haven't ben one for a year.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1149 on: February 23, 2013, 10:07:03 am »
    That's right.  No rooting required.

Oh Good.  I thought for a minute that I was completely misunderstanding something!  I mean, I have tried alternate keyboards but, really, on my Xoom I use a separate bt keyboard and don't do that much on the phone to have ever felt the need for anything else. I guess I tend to adapt rather than customize. :D
    My Kindles
    Hermoine's Handbag (Voyage)
    Ed's (Voyage Refurb)
    Bedtime Reading (Oasis 9)
    Godric's Hollow (Basic 7)
    My Tardis (PW 10)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement