Author Topic: Ecommerce?  (Read 503 times)  

Offline yellowlycra

• View Profile
Ecommerce?
« on: May 02, 2018, 01:00:50 am »
have any authors put up ecommerce sites and if so how? how does delivery work and what about VAT and any local taxes?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

bardsandsages

Re: Ecommerce?
    « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 06:57:23 am »
    Some authors have. I personally have avoided it like the plague because I have enough trouble keeping my taxes straight without trying to determine tax law for every single state in the U.S. plus every nation on the planet where a reader might buy my book.

One of the most important parts of running a business is time management. Is it the best use of my time to have to manage direct sales to consumers, along with all of the tax law, potential fraud, and customer service issues that entails, just to save that extra 30% of a sale from Amazon? For me, the answer is most certainly NO. Because you really have to consider how much time and expense it is going to cost you in relation to the number of people who are actually going to be interested in shopping directly on your site.

Offline NedMarcus

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 07:13:00 am »
    No, but some companies provide this service. I think Payhip pays VAT for you, if you wish.

Ned Marcus | website | facebook

Offline Elizabeth Barone

• R.I.P. KBOARDS
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 08:20:43 am »
    I use WooCommerce for WordPress. It even lets me purchase and print shipping labels right in my dashboard. So far Ive been selling signed paperbacks and small swag items.
    . . .

Offline Rick Gualtieri

• NJ
    • Renaissance Geek
      • View Profile
      • RickGualtieri.com
    « Reply #4 on: July 26, 2020, 06:46:14 am »
    Depends how much you really want to get into it. You can get seriously deep with ecommerce.

I've run ecommerce websites in the past, so I typically prefer to keep it light and easy to manage. So far, using Paypal buttons / shopping cart, has been more than enough to keep me from integrating any of the commerce packages into my website.

Making fantasy fun again, one corpse at a time
    Rick Gualtieri | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Bill The Vampire on FB | YouTube

KBoards.com

• Advertisement