Author Topic: The USA Today RESULTS Thread: Date + # of Copies Sold + Position  (Read 1914 times)  

Offline Andrei

• View Profile
There are several threads/posts here on KB where people who have hit the USA Today list mentioned *when* their big week was, how many *sales* they had and what *position* they landed on.

Let's try to compile a nice database together.

Please post in this thread if you:

1) have hit the USAT list yourself and would like to share your results

2) have come across a post here on KB where someone shared their USAT results (if so, please also leave a link to that post)

I'd recommend the following format:

DATE RANGE MM/DD/YYYY - Number of Sales - Position

For example, if your big week was the first week of May and you landed on position 125 on USAT with 7,500 sales, you'd post the following:

04.30.2018 to 05.06.2018 - 7,500 sales - position 125

To keep things organized, I'd recommend the format above but feel free to post in whichever format you deem appropriate and when compiling the list, I'll organize everything properly.

That's pretty much it!

Oh, just one more thing actually, when referring to sales numbers, please only post sales that count toward USAT, so sales generated on US stores. For example, if you're from Canada and bought a book on Amazon.ca, that sale won't count toward the author's USAT numbers. However, if you're from Canada and bought using Amazon.com, that sale does indeed count if I'm not mistaken. So again, US stores only.

Let's get started :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    Re: The USA Today RESULTS Thread: Date + # of Copies Sold + Position
    « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 01:55:22 am »
    Great thread topic, although unfortunately I have nothing to contribute. ;D

Online Lydniz

• UK
      • View Profile
      • Credentials
    « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 01:56:27 am »
    I would suggest it might also be a good idea to state whether the list was hit with a single title, a single-author box set, or a multi-author box set.

Offline Andrei

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:08:17 am »
    I would suggest it might also be a good idea to state whether the list was hit with a single title, a single-author box set, or a multi-author box set.

I've thought about this, a bit on the fence to be honest since the good thing about USA Today (the most straightforward bestseller list) is that the only thing that matters is how many sales were generated over a Monday - Sunday period. In other words, from the perspective of the USAT list, it doesn't really matter if it was a single title, a box set or a multi-author box.

Then again, knowing more about the book or set would give us better context. Perhaps we can simply stick with the previously mentioned format but each person can add a paragraph or two of information he/she considers relevant.

Offline Andrei

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 12:49:20 am »
    Too bad there isn't more interest in this, would have been a decent experiment :(

Giving this thread a bump to see if it helps. If I see more interest, I'll do some more research on this and post my findings.

Offline Andrei

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 05:30:58 am »
    Well, came across a bit more data after doing some research, might as well share it here:

09.14.2014 to 09.21.2014 - 7,996 US sales - Position 104

03.xx.2014 to 03.xx.2014 - 14,500 US sales - Position 42

04.xx.2014 to 04.xx.2014 - 7,239 US sales - Position 147

04.yy.2014 to 04.yy.2014 - 6,081 US sales - Position 146
    - where 04.yy.2014 to 04.yy.2014 is the week after 04.xx.2014 to 04.xx.2014

Link: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,207093.msg2883591.html#msg2883591 (all 4 data points)

... sorry for the approximations, I guess we can simply use xx/yy/whatever if we don't know the exact date. This thread doesn't have to be perfect, making it useful is good enough for me :)

Offline ibizwiz

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 07:20:12 am »
    Excellent topic, Andrei! In our "stealth launch" plan for our maiden series, we're projecting a mid-late fall one week blitz across US sales platforms, aimed at securing the USAT tag for Volume One. We'll be using a combination of preorders, mailing list special offers, plus Facebook selling ads, and one or two promotional ideas that have viral potential, and that can be timed with the selected week. We do not qualify for BookBub. We'll also be using one specific selling letter. Based on what we learn from this first go at USAT, we'll consider a second attempt for the series boxed set, in the early spring of next year.

In any event, I'll for sure keep data you can add to your database. In the meantime, I'd suggest you invite authors who tried and failed. I'd suggest you add the selling price and the discount from the regular price. I'd suggest you add the genre, including a category for those of us who are attempting to define our own niche sub-category. I'd suggest you add the # of words in the book/books. This is essentially a spreadsheet exercise, so adding columns up front that offer useful insights to authors will be much appreciated.

Best of luck, and thanks for your effort!

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• You can find me at Writers' Sanctum
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 08:54:03 am »
    I like this idea. (I've nothing to contribute personally, but I find it very interesting.) I think it would be worthwhile to know the author name and whether the title that listed was a single title, single author boxset, or multi-author boxset. I think that information is helpful to the rest of us in judging what most often makes the USAT list. Thanks for starting this! I hope it catches on.
    I do not accept the terms of the new TOS.

Offline Becca Mills

• Global Moderator
    • California
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 09:08:31 am »
    C. Gockel made the list with a single-author boxed set a couple years back: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,230510.0.html

Welcome! :)
    Read about using the Writers' Cafe here. Our larger "forum decorum" is here. The site's overall terms of use are here. Please be aware of this material.
    Troubleshooting: If you're having difficulties with advertising on KBoards, the contact email is [email protected] You can also use our PM system to contact the site's owners via the vsAdmin account. The Link-Maker and Author Signature Tool long longer function. There's a manual version of the former here and a workaround for the latter here.

Offline Andrei

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 11:24:57 am »
    Excellent topic, Andrei! In our "stealth launch" plan for our maiden series, we're projecting a mid-late fall one week blitz across US sales platforms, aimed at securing the USAT tag for Volume One.

Awesome, good luck!

I like this idea. (I've nothing to contribute personally, but I find it very interesting.) I think it would be worthwhile to know the author name and whether the title that listed was a single title, single author boxset, or multi-author boxset. I think that information is helpful to the rest of us in judging what most often makes the USAT list. Thanks for starting this! I hope it catches on.

Do you think I should include this info in the summary (along with the date range, # of copies sold and position) or is it enough that people can find out more by clicking the link? Trying to find the right balance between making enough info available and keeping things organized.

C. Gockel made the list with a single-author boxed set a couple years back: https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,230510.0.html

Thanks Becca!

For C. Gockel's book, we're looking at:

02.04.2016 to 02.11.2016 - 7,480 US sales - Position 91

Online Crystal_

• Portland, OR
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 01:44:09 pm »
    I don't have any exact data on me, but I was part of a box set that hot the list last March. We were on the top 50 and we had 17k sales. I think we were quite a bit higher than 50, but I'm not sure of the specific position.

Offline Andrei

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 12:48:42 am »
    I don't have any exact data on me, but I was part of a box set that hot the list last March. We were on the top 50 and we had 17k sales. I think we were quite a bit higher than 50, but I'm not sure of the specific position.

Awesome!

Can you PM me the title or post it here? Should be able to (relatively) easily find its position on USA Today's bestseller section by searching for the name of the set or for your (pen) name.

Offline Andrei

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 06:33:41 am »
    Called it a gem because it's the only case study I remember which involves someone successfully hitting USA Today with <5,000 sales. And hey, 10.26.2015 - 11.01.2015 isn't necessarily a slow period... I mean it's not December but still, reasonably competitive. Now, granted, Angela hit the USA Today list with only *slightly* less than 5k sales and she landed on position 149 out of 150, so there was luck involved as well. However, it's remarkable in light of the fact that people tend to associate hitting the USAT list with 6k-7k sales.

Would I recommend taking your foot off the pedal once you're at 5,000+ sales? Nope, mostly because making it is possible but still unlikely with ~5k sales.

But it's reassuring to know that the 6k-7k zone isn't set in stone.

Offline Andrei

• View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 12:23:52 pm »
    Someone who hit the list in January 2018 was kind enough to share data with me via PM and allow me to post it:

01.01.2018 to 07.01.2018 - 12,000 US sales - Position 46

No link this time, of course.

Other contributions would be more than welcome, there's already some decent data in this thread but, you know... the more people share (either their own case studies or USAT case studies they've come across on KB, blogs, etc.), the more useful this experiment becomes :)

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
      • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
    « Reply #19 on: June 03, 2018, 07:10:00 am »
    Speaking of best-seller lists, the Wall Street Journal yesterday had a self-pub trifecta: three out of ten fiction ebooks were self-published. That's never happened before, in the nearly two years I've been tracking the list, though usually there is one.

It almost never happens on the non-fiction list, with the notable exception of Maude, a memoir of the author's grandmother, grand-aunt, some such thing, that was on the list for several months in 2015-2016. The book was formatted in Word by the author's daughter. There was a paperback, of course; I think that has been true of every self-pubbed best seller. And in almost every case, the book was not in Kindle Select (one exception that I remember).

All or almost all the authors have been women, or anyone female or ambiguous first names, and almost all have been in the category of romantica (again, Maude being the great exception).
    Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline Andrei

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: June 03, 2018, 07:13:20 am »
    And in almost every case, the book was not in Kindle Select (one exception that I remember).

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Quick question, since you're more familiar with the WSJ list than me: WSJ is the only list you can hit without being wide, right? That's how things used to be iirc, not sure if it's still possible.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement