Author Topic: Steer clear of Book Skill, formerly Ebook Skill  (Read 4576 times)  

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
Re: Check your bank account carefully...
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 08:09:24 am »
I had a magazine subscription years ago, and when I tried to cancel it I got the automated phone service runaround. I mean, it was almost like they were trying to make it impossible to cancel a sub. Gasp.

Anyway, my card was due to expire in a couple of months, so I figured I'd let it sit until then, at which point they'd have to contact me for the new details, and I could tell them to cancel the sub.

Instead, some time after I got my new card, I got a letter from the bank saying the recurring charge for the magazine sub hadn't gone through on my old card, so they 'helped me' by processing it on my new one.

Needless to say, I didn't appreciate their help.

I've had that happen. You cancel your card because there doesn't seem to be any other way to get rid of them and the bank decide you must want it paying, even though you haven't given new details which you would have if you wanted to keep it.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Online ShaneCarrow

• View Profile
    Steer clear of Book Skill, formerly Ebook Skill
    « Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 05:42:46 pm »
    You may recall I posted about discovering I was getting scammed a month ago - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,263466.msg3665508.html

Well, my bank says the merchant is disputing my dispute, with the message "What follows is compelling evidence, and a valid remedy for this chargeback." Quite odd phrasing, almost as though it was translated from Mandarin, hmmm. So anyway this is the first I actually managed to find a website for these guys, when they provided it in the dispute record, because googling "book skill" gets you nothing:

https://bookskill.online/

And this is their sign up form for paid advertising:

https://bookskill.online/monthly/

Take a gander at that and ask if it's clear that you're signing up for recurring monthly payments.

Anyway, I'm just venting because they had the gall to dispute the chargeback after successfully fleecing me for a whole year, I know I should be more careful when throwing my card details around on the internet. But never ever advertise with these guys.

Shane Carrow

Offline Glis Moriarty

• View Profile
    Re: Steer clear of Book Skill, formerly Ebook Skill
    « Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 05:51:00 pm »
    It's not blindingly obvious or emphasised, but they do refer to 'monthly email marketing' and the product ordered is a 'Monthly Book Promotion'

Of course, it need not have said that when you ordered. I suppose that this could be their post-dispute website.

Offline setherd

• Sunny Florida
      • View Profile
      • hollen.org
    « Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 11:17:59 pm »
    Their FAQ page goes to: https://ebookmax.com/terms-and-conditions/
    Which doesn't load. Another layer of shadiness.
    Take care,
    Seth

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 01:45:13 am »
    Hi, I've merged your threads, Shane.

Betsy
    KB Mod
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
    • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
      • View Profile
      • Victoria LK Williams
    « Reply #30 on: June 21, 2018, 12:40:27 pm »
    I just had this happen too. Called the credit card company and they are handling it. This card has been used by me in over 8 months, so it was pretty clear to them. They issued a new card and said they would take care of the rest.
    Victoria LK Williams | Victoria LK Williams

Offline David VanDyke

• View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: July 21, 2018, 10:52:04 am »
    BookSkill (what they call themselves now) is at it again. I keep getting unsolicited emails. I unsubscribed, but that didn't work. Into the spam folder!

bardsandsages

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2018, 05:45:44 am »
    I reconcile ALL of my accounts twice a month, to the penny. If you are tracking your business expenses, everyone should. I can't imagine how a recurring payment can go on for months, or even a year, and I wouldn't notice it. It may, of course, be my accounting background.

But to avoid this type of stuff, you should maintain a spreadsheet of all advertising and expenses, and then reconcile it against your bank statements (including Paypal) regularly. If you see a charge that does not match up to your spreadsheet, flag it immediately. Don't "assume" it must be something you forgot.

Offline Aloha

• View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 12:13:24 pm »
    Watch your checking and savings accounts, also.
    About a year ago, a charge came through on our monthly checking account statement for a store we never shop at. I called my credit union, who put me in contact with the accounting department at the large department chain's store. The conversation went like this:
    "I'm trying to get a charge removed that was credited to your account and showed up on my checking statement." (gave all the details)
    "Are you sure you did not write a check for that amount?"
    "No. It shows up on my statement without a check number."
    "Did you use your ATM card at one of our stores?"
    "No. You don't have any stores in our city."
    "Maybe one of your family members used your ATM card in a city where one of our stores is located? We have had that happen before."
    "My wife is the only 1 with access to my checking account and ATM card. I've already asked her. She said she did not use either one. Besides, any ATM transaction we make is identified as one on our statement. Your charge is not identified with a check number or ATM transacation number."
    After more of the long Q and A session, the account clerk VERY reluctantly removed the charge.

Who knows? Maybe it was a hiccup in someone's database somewhere. I have heard scarier horror stories about people's direct deposit paychecks going into someone else's account.

bardsandsages

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2018, 05:40:20 am »
    Another thing I would recommend to people when dealing with these sort of problems: don't rely in phone calls. Of course, you should call. But get names, time of the call, and actions taken. And then WRITE A LETTER and send it certified mail. Particularly if you are in the U.S.

"As per the Fair Credit Reporting Act, I am writing in regards to the conversation I had on X-XX-XXXX with NAME regarding CHARGE..."

1. By citing the FCRA, you alert the vendor that you are aware of your legal rights as a consumer and are willing to pursue the matter
    2. Sending the letter certified mail alerts the vendor that you are GATHERING EVIDENCE for possible legal action.

In the letter, you must give them a specific timeline to address the issue. I normally give them ten days.

"If the matter is not resolved by XX-XX-XXXX, I will pursue remedies with my credit card provider and Name of State Consumer Affairs."

You are within your rights to provide clear deadlines, and you really NEED to in the event you do have to escalate the matter. If they don't resolve the issue, you send the letter along with the proof of deliver to your bank when you file for the chargeback. 99% of the time, they will immediately reverse the charge themselves and you will never hear from the vendor again.

But don't depend on just a phone call, or even email. Even if they don't sign the certified card or if the mail is returned because they gave you a bad address, it won't matter. In fact, it will only strengthen your case if you do go to Consumer Affairs because the returned envelope shows A. you acted in good faith to communicate with the vendor and B. the vendor refused the formal letter or acted in bad faith by not providing a good mailing address.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement