Author Topic: D2D vs. Smashwords  (Read 685 times)  

Offline CathleenT

• View Profile
D2D vs. Smashwords
« on: May 17, 2018, 06:41:08 PM »
I know there's some overlap between these two. For now, for me, please ignore the voice that whispers, "Hey, you could do a lot of this yourself." Yes, I could, but the learning curve is steep for this SP gig, I don't anticipate selling that much to start, and I'm already overwhelmed. Besides, I don't have a Mac, and my pos iPhone died yesterday. I need an distributor, but which for now?

In the past I used Smashwords, mostly because I was so grateful to them for putting out that free ebook on how to format your ebook. But now I've used D2D's epub maker, so I'm grateful to them, too. I can't decided this on loyalty alone.

Smashwords is its own store, so if I do nothing else, I could let Smashwords have my book, just not distribute it--use D2D for that. But is the solution that simple? Doesn't Smashwords have all these oddball formats that no one else bothers with? Can I just use them as a distributor for the stuff that D2D doesn't handle?

Also, I need a distributor who can do Google Play. I tried contacting them directly during their open period, and I even sent a second email, querying the progress of the first, but I guess they're not impressed with my tiny catalog because they never responded, except to tell me to wait. Who do kboarders use now that Pronoun is gone?

Thanks so much in advance. :)

Offline Kyra Halland

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Welcome To My Worlds
Re: D2D vs. Smashwords
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 06:47:10 PM »
I use both. D2D for the places they distribute to (except Amazon and Kobo, where I go direct), and Smashwords for the other little stores (I'm still on Overdrive at Smashwords, even though both D2D and Kobo offer it) and especially for their own store. I occasionally make decent money (for me) through the Smashwords store.

I'm direct with Google Play (got in before they shut off open access), but I think two services that people use are StreetLib and PublishDrive(?). Can't say anything about them from personal experience, but they seem to work for the people who do use them.

Tales of fantasy, heroism, and romance.
Kyra Halland | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 10:28:09 PM »
I use both, but am direct with all the big ones other than Apple.
Lots of discussion here: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,255990.msg3569770.html

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Offline Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 04:22:23 AM »
There is not much that D2D do that Smashwords do not, but a lot that Smashwords do that D2D don't. Since Smashwords finally allowed price setting in other than USD a major reason for not using it has gone. The payment system remains the main difference for those of us in countries able to get direct to bank payments from D2D, but I am minded to close my D2D connection now that I finally made a sale to to go over the $10 minimum (thank you Tolino). Smashwords pay by PayPal, but like Amazon and Google Play are happy to pay however small the amount, which helps someone like me who sells little and goes direct when I can.

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline Amyshojai

• North Texas
  • Pet Info-Tainment & Pet-Centric Thrillers!
    • View Profile
    • Amy's Pet Peeves Newsletter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:59:23 AM »
I like both, but have always gone direct with Kindle and used D2D for everything else. Then I decided to try GooglePlay, set it up with Pronoun--and a few weeks later, they went away. So -- enter PublishDrive.com. They are one of few that goes into GooglePlay (plus everything else, if you like!). I'm now going direct with Kobo and GooglePlay on my own, but highly recommend PublishDrive and D2D as options for those looking for such platforms.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 07:59:17 AM »
As others have said, you aren't tied to using just one aggregator. As an experiment, I used four on one book: D2D, Smashwords, PublishDrive, and StreetLib. The first two are easier to use, but all four are manageable, and each one has some unique outlets the others don't. Of course, many of the outlets have audiences whose primary language isn't English, so I'm not likely to make many sales there. On the other hand, I do make occasional sales in non-English speaking Amazon markets, so who knows? It takes only a little time to set up each one, so even a few sales over time would make it worth it.

PublishDrive and StreetLib both do Google Play.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline CathleenT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 01:01:12 PM »
Thanks so much, everyone. That's very helpful. :)

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 04:06:31 PM »
IIRC, Smashwords used Paypal and not direct deposit. I refuse to use Paypal.

Offline Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 01:00:25 AM »
I followed through on my idea of removing all my books from Draft to Digital and going with Smashwords exclusively. As I publish little and market less I sell very little. This is due to being time poor with the day job, so I decided to switch Apple (where I've only sold freebies direct) Barnes and Noble, and Kobo (where I've only sold one paid for book direct) back to Smashwords. I nearly switched back to Kobo direct when I spotted that Smashwords only pay 38% for Kobo sales outside US or Canada, then I realised that my one sale on Kobo was in Italy and that money sits permanently unpaid in my dashboard, so 38% is better than unfulfilled promises of 70%. I originally signed up to D2D for their epub production with no intention of distributing through them, but used them as my main distributor when Smashwords were USD only. I was always negative about having Draft to Digital listed as a seller as the name sounds amateurish and I wish they would rebrand officially as D2D. I was even more negative about having $8 sitting for a couple of years on my D2D dashboard due to most sales being direct. That is why I switched Tolino from Smashwords to D2D and eventually the cunning plan worked and I made a sale that triggered the payment from D2D after a single Tolino sale took me over the 10 minimum. So now Tolino distribution has gone to Smashwords (as has everything else bar Amazon) and I've delisted all books at D2D thus sacrificing the non-selling options of Playster and 24S.

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 08:04:08 AM »
I found Smashwords a) creepy and b) slow to pay, and for years I had separate accounts with B&N, Kobo, etc (and reached Apple through Lulu). So I was hugely relieved when Draft2Digital came along; now the only separate account I maintain is for Google. I especially like D2D's customer support, which is the best in the business.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline verysecretsquirrel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 10:46:34 PM »
I found Smashwords a) creepy

Gosh!  Well, one man's meat and all that.  I was on D2D for about a year, and was pleasantly surprised when I switched to Smashwords.  They do have their own way of doing things which takes a bit of getting used to, but they do more for the author than D2D.  They have their own storefront, for instance; and they allow you to set up discounted and free books via their coupon system.  They do distribute to far more places than D2D too -- although I must say I have yet to make a sale on any of those!

Being paid through Paypal is a bit of a nuisance, but they do make noises from time to time about moving to bank transfer.

Online L_Loryn

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 10:52:46 PM »
I liked Smashwords up until the other day when I suddenly had an issue with my .ePUB they converted for me. Over 10 books/shorts published with them and first time I had an issue with formatting.

Reconverted it, submitted it again and voila, randomly approved.

I tried D2D, which I thought was easier to use than Smashwords, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do considering I'm going to continue uploading to Smashwords no matter what (I have followers and they have their own "store"), but I really did like the ease of D2D and the speed. I found it to be faster in the approval process than Smashwords which counts for something.