Kindle Forum banner

Do Amazon Ever Remove Reviews?

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  CatParker 
#1 ·
Are there any circumstances where you can ask Amazon to remove a review and they'll do it?

I have a one star review which only says "I didn't order this book", which drags my overall rating down on a book that only has seven other reviews (all five star), but I'm guessing Amazon wouldn't remove it.

Has anyone ever had any success addressing a review like that?

#3 ·
Yes, I've done this. I had someone post a one-star review of my book because Amazon sent them one of those automated review request emails and the review just said, "I haven't read this book yet, but Amazon told me to review it." I reported it to Amazon and they took it down.

#5 ·
I had a person leave a 1-star review for one of my books with the comment: "The snow boots I bought were the wrong color and ill-fitting."

After pointing out to Amazon that a review for a product I'm not selling could result in a poor customer experience for another customer, they promptly removed the review.

#6 ·
Mercedes Vox said:
poor customer experience
The magic words for getting Amazon to do something. :D

#7 ·
I have one of those, too. "Actually I didn't order this book" Got it in October 2016. Back then when you clicked on the 'abuse' button, you could actually state a reason why you pushed it. I reported it, and had a few friends report it. It's still there. Never actually talked to anyone in KDP or Author Central about it, but I did report it.

#8 ·
I've mentioned this before, but I got a 1-star on my middle-grade novel claiming it started out okay, but after chapter 25 it was full of swearing and 'adult themes'. To be extra helpful, they even quoted passages full of swearing.

I had two issues with the review:

One, there was no swearing in the book.
Two, this novel didn't HAVE 25 chapters

That review went up in 2012. I finally got it taken down in 2018. I don't know whether it was because I linked to the review on twitter and asked everyone to click 'report abuse' on it, plus RT the tweet, or whether it was the stream of emails I started sending from about March this year.

#9 ·
Yep, I've had two or three removed that complained about not having ordered the book etc. You just need to ask nicely and point out that it's unhelpful for customers. I also got one removed that included some foul language, although it was initially rebuffed by the usual KDP people. I had to email KDP Executive Relations (jeff@amazon.com) and point out such language went against their own guidance and they quickly took it down.

#10 ·
The only time I ever asked Amazon to remove a review it was posted on the UK site. Somebody left a one star review for Carmilla: A Dark Fugue - which is perma free - because "It's a vampire book." The book only had two reviews prior to this hit, and so the single star was quite damaging.

The person concerned had previously posted over one-hundred single word reviews, usually stating something was crap/rubbish/garbage etc. I contacted Amazon as these were in breach of their terms. The great and wise Zon then removed all of the single word reviews, but left the review for Dark Fugue posted as, 'we cannot remove this review as it is accurate with regards the product content.' Well, yeah, it is. :-X

G
#11 ·
Amazon does remove reviews, but the trick is that you need to be able to cite the part of the TOS the review violates. Whenever I have had an issue, I always copy the exact part of the TOS the review violates and the link to Amazon's own site. If you do all of the work for them, they will usually remove the review. If you leave it for them to figure out, then they won't and you will get a "does not go against our guidelines" response.

#13 ·
So I got a reply to my first attempt today. Keep in mind that the one star review I asked Amazon remove simply said: "I didn't order this book." Nothing more.

Here is their reply to my request to remove it:

"This is Gersham from the Amazon Communities Team.It was really a pleasure assisting you today.

I've read the review titled "One Star". I understand your concerns, but the review doesn't violate our posted guidelines, so I'm unable to remove it in its current format.

We try to encourage our customers to give their honest opinions on our products while staying within our guidelines. As a retailer we are interested in cultivating a diversity of opinion on our products. Part of that is allowing our customers to air their honest thoughts on items they have received."

So I'll try again. This time I'll tell them the review is detrimental to the customer experience, and I'll see if I can quote something from the Terms and Conditions at them.

Here goes...

#14 ·
CatParker said:
So I'll try again. This time I'll tell them the review is detrimental to the customer experience, and I'll see if I can quote something from the Terms and Conditions at them.

Here goes...
Would it be extra to start at the beginning of the Terms and Conditions and paste a new portion each time you're rejected? Mostly just to irritated whoever's looking at the emails....

#15 ·
So I tired again to have Amazon remove the review from my page, which simply says "I did not order this product". I think my email to them hit all the right notes. Here it is:

Hi

There is a customer review on my product page which violates Amazon's guidelines, and which would result in a poor customer experience when visiting the page. (I included the title and ASIN of the book here)

Date and title of the review: 13th etc. Title 'One Star'. Please note there is another review with the same title from a different date which I am not complaining about.

(I also included the link to the relevant review)

The review simply says that the customer did not order the book in question, which violates the policy: "Be Helpful and Relevant: Customer Reviews and Questions and Answers should be about the product. Feedback about the seller, your shipment experience, or packaging can be shared at www.amazon.com/feedback or www.amazon.com/packaging. Comments about pricing, product availability or alternate ordering options are also not about the product and should not be shared in Customer Reviews or Questions and Answers."

I trust you will be able to remove this review to improve the customer experience on my page.

Thank you"

So I waited a few days, and this was the reply I received:

"Hello,

I've read the review titled "One Star". I understand your concerns, but the review doesn't violate our posted guidelines, so I'm unable to remove it in its current format.

We try to encourage our customers to give their honest opinions on our products while staying within our guidelines. As a retailer we are interested in cultivating a diversity of opinion on our products. Part of that is allowing our customers to air their honest thoughts on items they have received. Here's a link to our guidelines for reference:

http://www.amazon.com/review-guidelines

We appreciate your understanding. We hope to see you again soon."

I fail to see how someone saying they didn't order the book contributes to a valuable diversity of opinion on this particular book. So I've tried starting the whole process again, without much hope.

Anyone ever succeeded after meeting brick wall like this, or should I give it up?

#16 ·
It is insanity. I'm tempted to follow in your footsteps to get mine reviewed. When they send me this review, I'll ask how a one-star review of Amazon's services relates to my book. Because that review -- and my similar one -- are reviews of Amazon, not us.

#17 ·
D.A. Boulter said:
It is insanity. I'm tempted to follow in your footsteps to get mine reviewed. When they send me this review, I'll ask how a one-star review of Amazon's services relates to my book. Because that review -- and my similar one -- are reviews of Amazon, not us.
Agreed!

I'm thinking next time I fail I'll ask them to explain to me EXACTLY how the review helps a customer decide if my book is for them or not.

And also, when they say: "We try to encourage our customers to give their honest opinions on our products while staying within our guidelines. As a retailer we are interested in cultivating a diversity of opinion on our products."

Does that mean Amazon thinks OUR books are THEIR products? I hadn't noticed that til now.

That seems worrying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.