Author Topic: 25% off new kindle with trade in  (Read 1622 times)  

Offline Eltanin Publishing

• Charlotte, VT
  • Cathy Ryan - Editor-in-Chief
    • View Profile
    • Eltanin Publishing
25% off new kindle with trade in
« on: May 22, 2018, 06:13:52 AM »
I just noticed on Amazon, an offer to get 25% off a new kindle, plus the value of the trade-in, if you trade in a kindle. I've got a couple old K3s hanging around. One has a small scratch, so it would limit resale value. Amazon would give me $5 for it, but more importantly... 25% off a new kindle Oasis??

I've got a Kindle Voyage, and pretty happy with it. Oasis lovers - any reason to switch? I know it's got a bigger screen, and that is something.

Here's the link (it was on page 2 of Todays Deals):
https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Trade-In/b/ref=gbps_img_s-4_bedf_1c769523?ie=UTF8&node=10825010011&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=afc45143-5c9c-4b30-8d5c-d838e760bedf&pf_rd_s=slot-4&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1V99CZF60J7F2MKDB4XV

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: 25% off new kindle with trade in
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 09:05:33 AM »
For me, the Voyage and current Oasis are equally good devices, though different. I have one of each, as well as the model 2016 Oasis. If you've only got one device, and are looking to have a second so as to have a back up, it's down to personal preference I'd say.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline sosha

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 12:48:31 PM »
I have sent in my original Oasis, hoping to get the $75 credit & 25% off the newer one.  I've seen the bigger one, and love the screen size.   Just waiting to see if Amazon will give me the solid credit.....

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »
FWIW, the offer holds for really old devices as well . . . I just sent back my DX. I only got $5 for it -- but I have the 25% coupon good 'till August. I think my brother is going to have me get a replacement for him.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

• Charlotte, VT
    • View Profile
    • Eltanin Publishing
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 06:07:03 AM »
Makes me think any announcement for a new kindle will be after August 31st, since they wouldn't want us to use this discount on whatever the next kindle will be.

FYI, the 25% off applies to buying out of special offers as well, if you get the kindle without special offers right away. So if you're thinking you will buy out of the special offers, you should do it when you buy it rather than after you get the kindle.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 02:19:10 PM »
Makes me think any announcement for a new kindle will be after August 31st, since they wouldn't want us to use this discount on whatever the next kindle will be.

yeah, I had the same thought. Or, if released before Aug 31, it won't be eligible for the discount.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline RiverOaks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 02:33:52 PM »
I am still using a first generation kindle fire, lol, which I think I got as a gift at least 6 years ago. The one that weighs about a ton. Clearly, they are not looking for anything that old!

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 03:57:18 PM »
I am still using a first generation kindle fire, lol, which I think I got as a gift at least 6 years ago. The one that weighs about a ton. Clearly, they are not looking for anything that old!

It seems they are trading in on e-readers clear back to the original Kindle from 2007.  I don't see any tablets (Fires) listed.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 03:12:03 AM »
They'll take anything back, this page has Fires back to the original.

https://smile.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=10825011011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=BZFP4YSANSHATM9XJXZD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=67850ef1-170a-41af-b65d-dd8c45d84b11&pf_rd_i=9187220011

'Course, they're not giving much for 'em. You can get a 25% coupon on the purchase of a replacement -- but it's Fire for Fire. I'm considering sending mine back but the most I can get is $15 and I have no interest in a new Fire because I'm not thrilled with them. Happier with my Samsung Tablet.

BTW to find that page, I put 'trade in' in the search field on Amazon. Above the 'results' is a banner that has links to the trade in store, your account, etc. Click there and you can scroll down to find things to trade in. They only highlight things you've bought from them that are worth a fair bit.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline sosha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 08:12:13 AM »
I did this with my original Oasis.  It had been good to me, but I was itching for the bigger format.   So, I sent it back for a $75 credit, used an Amazon gift card (from a Coinstar "deposit"), and ended up paying around $30 out of pocket.

Love love LOVE the bigger screen.

• Charlotte, VT
    • View Profile
    • Eltanin Publishing
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 07:26:00 AM »
An interesting end to my trade in experience. I had a kindle keyboard with a slight scratch in the margin of the screen. Got the $5 credit and 25% off, bought an Oasis, love it. That was over a month ago. A few days ago I got an email that the $5 credit was being taken back - I was being charged $5, and it said something about the trade in not being received. I checked the tracking and it was received by Amazon. Then yesterday I got the K3 back from Amazon. It's in a box (I sent it in a well-padded envelope) and I know it's the same kindle.

I'm not worried about the $5 since I got the kindle back. But I want to make sure I'm not charged the 25% off. I chatted with Amazon and they assured me I wouldn't be. They said Amazon got the trade in package (which is why tracking said delivered) but said the package was ripped open and empty. OK... except Amazon mailed me the kindle back, so they did get it... Very strange.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »
I had something like that happen once -- they said they hadn't gotten the trade in but i had the tracking from UPS showing it was delivered. They did some research and admitted it must have gone missing at their end and let me keep the money they'd paid me. LATER I got an email saying they'd gotten it and were crediting my account! :o I wrote back and said, "but you already did" and sent the full email thread. It wasn't much, maybe $30, but I got it twice. They didn't want to bother un-crediting me, though, so they just said keep the second payment.

The sending BACK the thing is new though! :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Offline kindlefooker

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 11:56:42 PM »
What if your kindle is broken, do you still get 25% off?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 03:40:18 AM »
What if your kindle is broken, do you still get 25% off?

When you send it back you have to specify the condition. Also, you say whether you want them to return it to you or give you less if it's not in the condition you've specified. I've never tried to return, for cash, a kindle I KNEW was broken.

I did recently return a DX -- they were only giving $5 regardless and when I sent it it worked, though the wireless was wonky: They said the screen wouldn't turn on when they got it so they gave me the lesser amount -- but, in this case, it was still $5. I did still get the coupon on my account for the 25% off a new kindle.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 04:18:33 AM »
If you are looking at a new Kindle, say, the 2nd Gen Oasis...  ;D. The "Save 25% on Trade-in" offer is visible over with the buy buttons.  And if you click on it, a list of the Kindles registered to your account and available for trade in will pop-up.  Interestingly, when I went to the trade-in page Ann clicked on, it said I could get $5 for the basic Kindle I selected.  The pop-up from the Buy page showed I could get "up to $15."  Haven't clicked through, still thinking...
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store