Author Topic: Nook Top 100 question  (Read 390 times)  

Offline Mimsy

• View Profile
Nook Top 100 question
« on: June 05, 2018, 02:33:12 pm »
Does anyone know how the Nook Top 100 category at Barnes & Noble works? I have a book that's currently ranked in the top 30. I assumed it would be listed on the top 100 list, but it's nowhere on it.  :(

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• You can find me at Writers' Sanctum
      • View Profile
    Re: Nook Top 100 question
    « Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 08:00:47 pm »
    I dealt with this same mystery yesterday. Blade's Edge's rank (on its sales page) said "93" but then it wasn't there in the Top 100 list. However, it was #5 in the sci-fi & fantasy category (which wasn't listed on its page, but was where I found it when looking through the Nook Top 100). So I suppose my answer is: I have no clue... but please let me know if you find out.
    I do not accept the terms of the new TOS.

Offline Mimsy

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 08:30:43 pm »
    I dealt with this same mystery yesterday. Blade's Edge's rank (on its sales page) said "93" but then it wasn't there in the Top 100 list. However, it was #5 in the sci-fi & fantasy category (which wasn't listed on its page, but was where I found it when looking through the Nook Top 100). So I suppose my answer is: I have no clue... but please let me know if you find out.

Thanks, Virginia. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wonder if they curate that list in some way? Right now, the same romance novel is on there twice! So frustrating. I can't help but think that if I published directly through Nook Press instead of Draft2Digital there'd be some way to get answers directly from Barnes and Noble. Then again, I don't know how much more frustrating it would be to upload directly to Nook, Kobo, and iTunes...

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 09:09:39 pm »
    Thanks, Virginia. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I wonder if they curate that list in some way? Right now, the same romance novel is on there twice! So frustrating. I can't help but think that if I published directly through Nook Press instead of Draft2Digital there'd be some way to get answers directly from Barnes and Noble. Then again, I don't know how much more frustrating it would be to upload directly to Nook, Kobo, and iTunes...

I started to jump ship from D2D just before the BookBub (long story) and so I actually did everything but hit publish on Kobo and B&N and it was in no way any more frustrating than setting things up with Amazon or D2D. There are two reasons I stuck with D2D. 1. I wanted to have all my sales reports in one place (I am currently regretting this part of my reasoning because of D2D's lag issues). 2. I wanted more than 0.35 - 0.40 on each 0.99 book for my BookBub (a decision I am not regretting yet). :-) Meanwhile, while trying to decide between D2D and direct with B&N and Kobo both B&N and Kobo answered my questions very promptly via their author services help departments. So I would say it would likely be a very pleasant experience to go direct with them. I will in all likelihood go direct with them for my new series this fall. 

Offline Mimsy

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 09:43:15 pm »
    I started to jump ship from D2D just before the BookBub (long story) and so I actually did everything but hit publish on Kobo and B&N and it was in no way any more frustrating than setting things up with Amazon or D2D. There are two reasons I stuck with D2D. 1. I wanted to have all my sales reports in one place (I am currently regretting this part of my reasoning because of D2D's lag issues). 2. I wanted more than 0.35 - 0.40 on each 0.99 book for my BookBub (a decision I am not regretting yet). :-) Meanwhile, while trying to decide between D2D and direct with B&N and Kobo both B&N and Kobo answered my questions very promptly via their author services help departments. So I would say it would likely be a very pleasant experience to go direct with them. I will in all likelihood go direct with them for my new series this fall.

I'm really tempted, but I also sell at iTunes and apparently you can't do that yourself unless you have a Mac. Maybe I should just use D2D for iTunes? I have to give it some more thought.

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 10:01:22 pm »
    Certainly D2D is a way around the no mac dilemma. I also sell with iTunes, but I have a mac so if I decide to go direct I can do it myself. I hope their whole publishing set up has changed since the last time I went direct with them though. It was a royal pain a few years ago.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement