Author Topic: Opinion on two cover options  (Read 778 times)  

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
Opinion on two cover options
« on: June 06, 2018, 09:37:38 am »
So wayyyyyy back in 2008, I started my self-publishing journey. I self-published a book on fundraising for small nonprofits using Lulu as a print on demand service.

This was the cover (and remains the cover today):

I've written more books in the series since then, including this book on how to be a board member of a small nonprofit, which has better sales than the fundraising book.

I suspect that's because it has a wider audience (there are more board members than executive directors) but also because the fundraising cover isn't as good.

All of that is to say that after nearly 10 years, it's time to update the cover!

These are the two revisions I've deciding between these two:

One is a fully new cover and the other is more of an update of the previous one. Because they keep the same font style, I think it's pretty clear that they are related books. But otherwise, I'm not sure which way to go. I thought the hive mind of KBoards might have an opinion. :) Any thoughts?

Thank you!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline 101569

• View Profile
    Re: Opinion on two cover options
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 10:47:17 am »
    I like the top one.

Offline I'm a Little Teapot

• I am very awesome.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 10:54:55 am »
    The top one!

Offline Cactus Lady

• Arizona
      • View Profile
      • Welcome To My Worlds
    « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 11:07:53 am »
    The top one looks more like non-fiction.
    Tales of Fantasy, Heroism, and Romance
    Genres: Epic Romantic Fantasy, Fantasy-western
    http://www.kyrahalland.com

Offline Gertie Kindle

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 11:13:05 am »
    The top one.

Offline acapellabookcoverdesign

• Hogwarts
    • Book cover designer
      • View Profile
      • Portfolio of Book Cover Designs
    « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 12:55:36 pm »
    I like the top one best. I think the reason the board book sells more is that cover is more in line with a non-fiction business book. Using a treasure chest can make it look more like a fiction book. When I saw it, my first thought was pirates  ;D . I would suggest using more business themed graphics to emphasize the fundraising more then the gold so you catch readers eyes quicker.

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 01:02:46 pm »
    I don't think it's necessarily the cover. I think it's the title.

The Little Book of Boards is much clearer. The subtitle also promises a benefit and has authority (e.g. it says "A handbook" - basically a synonym for "how to" - and it's from a board member). The Little Book of Gold sounds like a book along the lines of Rich Dad, Poor Dad or Think And Grow Rich (e.g. personal finance/self-development). A lot of your target audience will skim that and not get to the subtitle, because you've already lost them. The benefit in the subtitle also isn't as compelling. Is this a how to guide? If so, why should the potential reader believe you? The board members' book does a much better job of spelling that out, identifying an audience, and establishing why you would be worth listening to.

Also, gold is kind of an incongruous term with nonprofits. It makes me think of pirates or greed. This probably is a turn-off to your target market.

Why not something like "The Little Book of Non-Profit Fundraising"? This has the benefit of being clear, and it also maintains the SEO benefit of coming up when someone types in the keyword "non-profit fundraising." And then, in the subtitle, it could be something like "A Handbook for [whatever the rest of the subtitle is]" to make sure it's clear this is a how to guide.

After switching the title, I'd probably swap the cover to something more traditional non-fiction, anyway. But I'd change the title first.

Nick

Offline Scarlett_R

• New Zealand
    • Book designer & business coach
      • View Profile
      • Book Cover Designer for Indie and Self-Published authors
    « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 03:06:12 pm »
    Definitely the top for non-fiction. I agree with Nick regarding the title. Title is a key factor in non-fiction and needs to be super clear. The Little Book of Boards is a play on the concept and the image matches it well.

Is there a way you can re-title it to be a pun or play on words regarding fundraising?

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
    • Author, Parks Commissioner
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 06:12:14 pm »
    Thank you for the thoughts! Very interesting feedback about the title. It's been for sale since 2009 and sold thousands of copies, so part of me is afraid to mess with success. But, as I said above, despite the real revenue from it, it's not as successful as the boards book, so maybe I need to reassess. Thank you!
    « Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:55:10 pm by erikhanberg »

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
      • Golden Elm Publishing
    « Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 02:26:07 am »
    The Little Book of Gold Raising?  ;D Ok, maybe not. Fundraising is probably the best one word change that would say what the book is about without sounding like a get rich scheme or pirate plundering.

If you ditch the gold, you could use a more business-y background and put paper money on the cover to indicate it relates to income. I might also peruse similar books to see what they use for covers.

I like modelling it after the Boards book and using a different background. Just need to pick a good one that says business fundraising.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
    • Desperate character
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 03:31:03 am »
    For me, self-help or that type of non-fiction books almost always have a light-colored cover.  As someone mentioned, that could be why your Board book sells better than the Gold book.  So definitely the first of your two new cover options looks more like a non-fiction book.  I definitely would think the current cover of the Gold book is a fiction novel about treasure-hunting.  Even so, however, I'd somehow try to get some light blue or other light, contrasting color into the cover somehow.  Or maybe some small dollar signs at the bottom of the cover, near the subtitle.  (To me, $$ are a subliminal symbol of non-fiction books.)
    Jena

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 01:00:39 am »
    Thank you for the thoughts! Very interesting feedback about the title. It's been for sale since 2009 and sold thousands of copies, so part of me is afraid to mess with success. But, as I said above, despite the real revenue from it, it's not as successful as the boards book, so maybe I need to reassess. Thank you!

If the title has been successful, then I generally wouldn't change it. On the other hand, if the book is ten years old, a title change gives an opportunity to pull in people who have passed it over before, so the risk of changing it is likely minimal. If sales have slowed down or you've always felt there's a larger market for the book than what it's reached, then it would be worth it. You could always go back.

Nick

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
      • Golden Elm Publishing
    « Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 01:29:02 am »
    If the title has been successful, then I generally wouldn't change it. On the other hand, if the book is ten years old, a title change gives an opportunity to pull in people who have passed it over before, so the risk of changing it is likely minimal. If sales have slowed down or you've always felt there's a larger market for the book than what it's reached, then it would be worth it. You could always go back.

Nick
    Yeah, I think if he's going to redo the cover, it would be the perfect time to tweak the title and make it more self-help-y. He can always mention the old title in the blurb.

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 01:32:17 am »
    The treasure chest suggests fiction, and I agree with Nicholas Erik about the title. I also think the dark background is a hindrance - with the original cover, as it is in your signature the eye slides right over it, and that's not only because the text is too small to see well in a thumbnail. It comes across as dead space.

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

KBoards.com

• Advertisement