Author Topic: Mark Lawrence's Self-Published Fantasy Blog Off 4 is now open for submissions  (Read 1965 times)  

Offline Reaper

• Glasgow, Scotland
    • View Profile
The Writers' Cafe was where I first heard about this competition, and I've just submitted my entry.

You can find more info here: http://mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/2018/06/spfbo-2018-call-to-authors.html

[Insert cool book covers here because I have not granted permission to VerticalScope's stealth change of the Terms of Service]

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline levz

• View Profile
    Thanks for the link.  I like to keep up with the competition as I find the whole process really interesting.  (Also, good luck with your entry.)  :)
    « Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:30:28 am by levz »

Offline AlexaGrave

• View Profile
      • Born to Write
    Good luck to those who enter this go around! I did last time, and it was fun.  :D (Don't have another first in series/stand alone ready this time, or I'd enter again.)
    Downward Spiral - Urban Unicorn, 1 (1st Draft): 7%

GSD vs. Everything (1st Draft): 60%
    Dark Fantasy Writer
    Alexa Grave | Born to Write | Website | Newsletter | Haunted Unicorn Publishing - Developmental Editing

Offline Reaper

• Glasgow, Scotland
      • View Profile
    Thanks for the link.  I like to keep up with the competition as I find the whole process really interesting.  (Also, good luck with your entry.)  :)

Thank you!

I like to keep up too, been following the past two competitions. Really want to read the current winner, Where Loyalties Lie.
    [Insert cool book covers here because I have not granted permission to VerticalScope's stealth change of the Terms of Service]

Offline Reaper

• Glasgow, Scotland
      • View Profile
    Good luck to those who enter this go around! I did last time, and it was fun.  :D (Don't have another first in series/stand alone ready this time, or I'd enter again.)

Sounds like a positive experience -- how did you find the process?

Offline AliceS

• View Profile
    Wow, I actually have a book that qualifies. Cool.

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
      • View Profile
      • Ryan W. Mueller
    Already submitted Sunweaver. Maybe it can get a nice boost from the competition. I screwed up its launch back in January.

Ryan W. Mueller | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Offline WyandVoidbringer

• View Profile
    I got my next book back from the editor this morning, worked on it all day, and just sent the final product off to be entered into the contest.

I can't believe I got it in! Cut it a bit closer than I'd prefer.

I set a goal for myself last year to finish my first trilogy and write another book that would qualify for SPFBO 2018 in time to enter the contest, and I did it!

Sandell Wall | Sandell's Website

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
      • Golden Elm Publishing
    This sounds like a cool way to discover new authors! Sweet :)

What file format do they want?

Offline cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
      • View Profile
      • Cecilia Peartree - woman of mystery (blog)
    My son's book got into the finals last time and it was very exciting. Although I don't read much fantasy myself, I particularly enjoyed Kitty G's video reviews.

Offline Lu Kudzoza

• View Profile
    This sounds like a cool way to discover new authors! Sweet :)

What file format do they want?

Kindle format .mobi

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
      • View Profile
      • Kay L Ling
    Im in again this year, this time with Wards and Wonders. It was fun last year, especially in the beginning before the 300 entrants got seriously whittled away.

Offline AlecHutson

• Shanghai
      • View Profile
    I finished second last year in the competition that literally wrapped up like a week ago. It was a good experience, although a big part of how authors feel coming away from the contest I believe comes down to the book blogger who reviews your book, as some give attention to every title in their 30-book batch, and some don't.

I do think Mark Lawrence deserves a ton of praise for everything he does for the contest. For those that don't know, he's a very big name traditionally published fantasy author. He started the contest because he felt that it was largely luck that he got his big break (not true, as he's a really good writer) and wanted to give authors who didn't have the same fortune an opportunity for visibility. In fantasy, it seems like most trad pubbed authors and publishers want to pretend self publishing doesn't even exist (despite being like 35% of the genre's market share), but Mark embraces indies and believes they make the whole genre richer. It's pretty terrific.   

Alec Hutson

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
      • View Profile
      • Ryan W. Mueller
    I finished second last year in the competition that literally wrapped up like a week ago. It was a good experience, although a big part of how authors feel coming away from the contest I believe comes down to the book blogger who reviews your book, as some give attention to every title in their 30-book batch, and some don't.

I do think Mark Lawrence deserves a ton of praise for everything he does for the contest. For those that don't know, he's a very big name traditionally published fantasy author. He started the contest because he felt that it was largely luck that he got his big break (not true, as he's a really good writer) and wanted to give authors who didn't have the same fortune an opportunity for visibility. In fantasy, it seems like most trad pubbed authors and publishers want to pretend self publishing doesn't even exist (despite being like 35% of the genre's market share), but Mark embraces indies and believes they make the whole genre richer. It's pretty terrific.

I knew you would do well in the competition. I believe I read The Crimson Queen before the contest even started, and I loved it. It gave me that wonderful feeling of something like The Wheel of Time, but it was also fresh at the same time.

Ryan W. Mueller | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Offline Reaper

• Glasgow, Scotland
      • View Profile

Agreed on all counts, not every trad author embraces indies. The bloggers are amazing as well, it's a big undertaking. I've followed the competition from its second year, and seeing the community of famtasy authors and bloggers come together warms the cockles of my cold, grimdark heart.

And congratulations on coming second!

Offline AlecHutson

• Shanghai
      • View Profile
    Thank you! And best of luck if you've entered into the newest one. The book you're releasing next month looks great.

Alec Hutson

Offline Reaper

• Glasgow, Scotland
      • View Profile
    Just realised I didn't thank you for this.

Thank you very much :)

Oh, no worries! :)

Offline Reaper

• Glasgow, Scotland
      • View Profile
    Thank you! And best of luck if you've entered into the newest one. The book you're releasing next month looks great.

Not sure if this is directed to me or Ryan above, but I'll happily accept/steal the compliment and wishes of luck! :D

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
      • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
    Good luck all!

Looks like I picked a poor time to go camping!

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline Mark Lawrence

• View Profile
    SPFBO 5 is now open!

36 of 300 slots left.

It's free and can be great publicity.

https://mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/2019/06/spfbo-5-phase-1.html

Offline Lorri Moulton [Lavender Lass Books]

• Author of sweet romance, fantasy, mystery/suspense
      • View Profile
    This is a great way to get your book noticed and have some author interviews!

I just entered again.  Hoping a co-authored book will be okay.  My planned entry is just short of the 40k minimum this year.

Good luck everyone!  8)

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Mystery, Suspense and Historical Non-Fiction.
    Lavender Lass Books | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter |YouTube | Pinterest | Instagram

Offline kswalker

• San Jose, CA
      • View Profile
      • Worlds of Magic and Adventure
    Good luck everyone who entered! I always find great reads from this competition. I'm also in it for the second time this year, don't know if I'll get far but it's fun to participate.

Kristen S. Walker | Writing blog | Newsletter

Offline Mark Lawrence

• View Profile
    The 6th Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off is open to entries and places are filling up fast!

https://mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/2018/06/the-official-self-published-fantasy.html

KBoards.com

• Advertisement