Author Topic: Facebook Ads Crisis  (Read 2784 times)  

Offline Mimsy

• View Profile
Facebook Ads Crisis
« on: June 18, 2018, 10:18:37 pm »
I had a sale on one of my books that ended on June 10. I had been running three Facebook ads. When the sale ended, I turned all of them off. Today, I went to Ads Manager to check something else and it says that I owe $500!! Apparently, Facebook has continued to bill me even after the ads were shut off. I'm in a complete panic. I feel as if I've been robbed. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before with Facebook Ads?? I don't know what to do. I reached out to Facebook through the ads contact form, but don't hold out a lot of hope for hearing back from them.   :(

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    Re: Facebook Ads Crisis
    « Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 11:03:26 pm »
    On another thread people are talking about receiving unexpected refunds from FB. Maybe related?

I know this doesn't help now, but after FB billed me $150 or something I went into the settings and set the max billing limit to $60. I also set a max spend of $50. What that means is that I have to go in and clear my limit now and then, or the ads stop (but so does the spending)

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
    SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Offline Mimsy

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 11:30:53 pm »
    On another thread people are talking about receiving unexpected refunds from FB. Maybe related?

I know this doesn't help now, but after FB billed me $150 or something I went into the settings and set the max billing limit to $60. I also set a max spend of $50. What that means is that I have to go in and clear my limit now and then, or the ads stop (but so does the spending)

Thanks for the reply. I think that after this experience I probably won't be using Facebook Ads again. I hope it was all just a billing mistake that they can fix. The contact form said they should respond in 1-2 days. I'm not very optimistic.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 12:43:40 am »
    I got caught out, because after the initial $50 limit (which was paid automatically) they automatically raised the billing limit to about $500.

If you check your ad logs by day, can you see whether you actually got impressions and clicks? In other words, if the ads weren't running then presumably you have an argument not to pay.

Also yWriter, free novel-writing software for Windows PCs. (Mac version in progress).
    SalesScanner, free KDP/Google Play/Kobo/Smashwords report analyser & aggregator.

Offline Jaka Tomc

• Ljubljana, Slovenia
    • Imagination is my reality.
      • View Profile
      • Jaka Tomc
    « Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 01:49:52 am »
    I didn't have your kind of problem, but I noticed that they CPC went way up. I made an AD for Australian readers yesterday. When I checked the stats this morning, there were 2 link clicks at a charge of 2.60! So they charge 1.30 per click! Very hard to sell a $2.99 book with profit at this cost  :)

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 03:37:22 am »
    Is there a reason you're bidding that high? I set my max to 50c.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
    • If you want real love, buy a dog.
      • View Profile
      • Margaret Brazear Author
    « Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 04:21:29 am »
    It's all very well them giving refunds, but you might need that money for something important, like rent or mortgage payment.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
    Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Newsletter

Offline MissingAlaska

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 05:10:40 am »
    I didn't have your kind of problem, but I noticed that they CPC went way up. I made an AD for Australian readers yesterday. When I checked the stats this morning, there were 2 link clicks at a charge of 2.60! So they charge 1.30 per click! Very hard to sell a $2.99 book with profit at this cost  :)

That would explain why my latest ad has been shown zero times.  I didn't realize bids had gotten that high.  Between AMS and this, I think people are going to need to raise their prices just to cover advertising.  Maybe Amazon is pushing that?

Offline Mimsy

• View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 09:55:58 am »
    If the charge is on a credit card, dispute it when you receive your statement. That will get Facebook's attention. No reason you should pay for ads that never happened. But do set your limit on FB ads to something low like $50.
    It's all very well them giving refunds, but you might need that money for something important, like rent or mortgage payment.

Exactly! This is a large sum of money to me. And once the ads are turned off, they shouldn't continue charging money. The irony is, when the sale ended, I put my books back in Kindle Unlimited. So the ads--which linked to Barnes & Noble and Apple--were just dead links. That's why I stopped them when the sale ended. So basically, Facebook is charging me $500 for running ads that linked to nowhere.

Offline Whatever Writer

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 11:44:34 am »
    Yikes, so sorry that's happened. I find FB perplexing with its interface a lot of the time. And the more I hear about FB stuff, the more I am not into it. It's expensive, highly technical, and doesn't always yield a good return. I think I'd rather stick to one day getting Bookbub with the money, and just working on my FB group :) I hope they refund you!

Offline Mimsy

• View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 01:11:30 pm »
    Yikes, so sorry that's happened. I find FB perplexing with its interface a lot of the time. And the more I hear about FB stuff, the more I am not into it. It's expensive, highly technical, and doesn't always yield a good return. I think I'd rather stick to one day getting Bookbub with the money, and just working on my FB group :) I hope they refund you!

I hope so, too! I only used them in conjunction with a Book Bub and a few other ads. I really wish I hadn't. I'm not sure they made much difference anyway. And now, after turning them off, to find out they've still been billing me. I've felt like crying since I found out last night.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 01:22:54 pm »
    I'll be honest, my cpc is around 15-17c at the moment.  A month ago it was 0.08-0.12, but I'm saturating the audience a bit too much.

Offline Jaka Tomc

• Ljubljana, Slovenia
      • View Profile
      • Jaka Tomc
    « Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 01:17:56 am »
    I'll be honest, my cpc is around 15-17c at the moment.  A month ago it was 0.08-0.12, but I'm saturating the audience a bit too much.

I can only wish for a CPC like that. At the moment it's 0.46 for UK ad and 0.71 for CA. I spent 25 and got one sale out of it. 

Offline Goulburn

• View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 02:14:08 am »
    Yes. Facebook has billed me for advertisements that I did not place, three times, over four years. They did not refund on any occasion, and I definitely had not left any advertisement running. I'm currently not using my Facebook page due to my lack of trust of their accounts department and their failure to show my posts unless I do some advertising.
    « Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:19:43 am by Ryn Shell »
    I do not consent to the Sept 2018 TOS change that was made without asking my consent or even offering notification.  If VerticalScope republishes content I own I will sue them for breach of copyright.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 02:53:48 am »
    I can only wish for a CPC like that. At the moment it's 0.46 for UK ad and 0.71 for CA. I spent 25 and got one sale out of it. 

There's a great ebook called 'Help, My Facebook ads suck!'. It's only about $5 and mine paid for itself in about an hour.

Offline Catherine Lea

• View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 03:13:35 am »
    I had a sale on one of my books that ended on June 10. I had been running three Facebook ads. When the sale ended, I turned all of them off. Today, I went to Ads Manager to check something else and it says that I owe $500!! Apparently, Facebook has continued to bill me even after the ads were shut off. I'm in a complete panic. I feel as if I've been robbed. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before with Facebook Ads?? I don't know what to do. I reached out to Facebook through the ads contact form, but don't hold out a lot of hope for hearing back from them.   :(
    This happened to me. I think that although I turned the ads off, there was something else I was supposed to switch off. I ended up with a similar bill. I contacted FB but got no reply. I haven't used FB since.

There's no such thing as a simple plan.
    Catherine Lea | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon | Amazon

Offline Jaka Tomc

• Ljubljana, Slovenia
      • View Profile
      • Jaka Tomc
    « Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 03:16:14 am »
    There's a great ebook called 'Help, My Facebook ads suck!'. It's only about $5 and mine paid for itself in about an hour.

I have it! I guess I'll have to read it again  :D

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 04:14:33 am »
    This happened to me. I think that although I turned the ads off, there was something else I was supposed to switch off. I ended up with a similar bill. I contacted FB but got no reply. I haven't used FB since.

If you turn off the campaign, everything turns off inside that campaign

If you have two ad sets in a campaign, and you select one then view the ads, and then if you turn turn off those ads, the ads in the other ad set (and the other ad set itself) will still run.

The only safe way to stop everything is to go to the list of campaigns and turn them off.

Offline Mimsy

• View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 02:22:00 pm »
    I heard back from Facebook today. It was an automated response that directed me to re-submit my query through another contact form. I did so, but it feels like a runaround. We'll see if I get an actual reply next time. After hearing all of your stories, I'm not holding out much hope.

Offline CoryBarclay

• View Profile
    « Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 10:00:55 pm »

They seem to have a problem with their billing system and it must have overcharged. There's no way to talk to an actual person in FB, but to date they have always replied to my emails, admittedly a few weeks later. Given all the billing problems that seem to be occurring AND the fact you suspended the ads, then there's a reasonable chance this is an error and it'll be fixed. Doesn't help with the worry, but it's worth noting that there is wider billing problem and they are issuing credits.

I think I may be losing my mind, but I talked to someone yesterday on Facebook Chat Support (his name was Nick, he helped me troubleshoot a problem I had -- an ad that had been running for 6 months, 3500+ clicks, etc suddenly became "Not Approved" -- and he disputed the claim on my behalf, and to my utter shock they reversed the decision and "Approved" it once more). Nick even opened up a "line of contact" via email before signing off. But when I went to the Support page where I found the chat button just now, IT'S GONE  :o It's usually at the bottom of the Facebook Business Resources page, where it says "Additional Support" and shows two icons, "Community" and "Chat," but that "Chat" button has been replaced by "Email"...seemingly overnight. How straaange, because the chat was the most efficient and quickest response I've ever seen from Facebook (it took less than 30 seconds to get in a chatroom with "Nick"). Sorry for your crisis, I thought I could help, but alas! D:

Offline caitlynlynch

• View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 10:18:41 pm »
    The Chat button only shows during certain hours :D

I've had this problem before. Actually, FB switched on an ANCIENT ad - one I'd shut down a year before - and it racked up $3600 in spend. They billed me and my credit card declined the charge (over limit) at which point I got a nastygram from FB. I got onto the chat window and threw the mother of all hissy fits and they backed down.

Offline Diana Kimpton

• UK
      • View Profile
      • dianakimpton.co.uk
    « Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 11:05:46 pm »
    I'm glad I found this discussion as I gave up Facebook ads a while ago and had forgotten my payment details were still on the site. I've now removed them to make sure Facebook can't bill me by mistake. It took me quite a while to do that - it's not an easy site to navigate.

Author of more than 40 books and several scripts. Writes for adults as well as children.
    Diana Kimpton | website

Offline Mimsy

• View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 11:41:31 pm »
    I think I may be losing my mind, but I talked to someone yesterday on Facebook Chat Support (his name was Nick, he helped me troubleshoot a problem I had -- an ad that had been running for 6 months, 3500+ clicks, etc suddenly became "Not Approved" -- and he disputed the claim on my behalf, and to my utter shock they reversed the decision and "Approved" it once more). Nick even opened up a "line of contact" via email before signing off. But when I went to the Support page where I found the chat button just now, IT'S GONE  :o It's usually at the bottom of the Facebook Business Resources page, where it says "Additional Support" and shows two icons, "Community" and "Chat," but that "Chat" button has been replaced by "Email"...seemingly overnight. How straaange, because the chat was the most efficient and quickest response I've ever seen from Facebook (it took less than 30 seconds to get in a chatroom with "Nick"). Sorry for your crisis, I thought I could help, but alas! D:

Thanks for the info! I had no idea there was even a way to live chat with Facebook at all. I bookmarked the page and will try back tomorrow during normal business hours.
    The Chat button only shows during certain hours :D

I've had this problem before. Actually, FB switched on an ANCIENT ad - one I'd shut down a year before - and it racked up $3600 in spend. They billed me and my credit card declined the charge (over limit) at which point I got a nastygram from FB. I got onto the chat window and threw the mother of all hissy fits and they backed down.

I'm glad they backed down in your case. I hope the person I finally get to communicate with there will be able to help me, too.

Offline Mimsy

• View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: June 20, 2018, 11:44:20 pm »
    I'm glad I found this discussion as I gave up Facebook ads a while ago and had forgotten my payment details were still on the site. I've now removed them to make sure Facebook can't bill me by mistake. It took me quite a while to do that - it's not an easy site to navigate.

Once I have this mess sorted, I think I'll remove my billing details as well. This whole episode feels like an enormous breach of trust.

Offline Simon Haynes

• View Profile
      • spacejock.com.au
    « Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 01:42:15 am »
    Make sure you set a maximum billing limit as well.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement