Author Topic: Do you have a favorite book you've written?  (Read 3115 times)  

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
Re: Do you have a favorite book you've written?
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2018, 09:20:59 am »
I've got lots of favourites - all for different reasons. Maybe There Must Be Horses is my all time favourite because it's the best book I've ever written, it's the first one I self-published and the research for it gave me the excuse to buy a horse. On the other hand, there are some books that I do like as much, especially the set of 4 non-fiction children's books that were so ruined by bad editing that I refused to have my name on them.

Talking about first books. I thought my first book was a masterpiece at the time, and just like a firstborn it gave me a great sense of pride. However, it wasn't a masterpiece and so I unpublished it eventually, which hurt like hell.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Stevej37334

• Mississippi
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: June 20, 2018, 09:54:02 am »
    I can't pick just one, but my readers like Ruth's Last Adventure best. The main character is based on my mother, an Alzheimer's patient who always talked about escaping. She never escaped, but what if she did? That's where the book begins.

Offline Harvey Click

• View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: June 20, 2018, 10:37:43 am »
    The Bad Box, partly because it seems to be my readers' favorite, and partly because it travels to some deep, dark places I no longer have the nerve to visit.

Harvey Click

Offline PearlEarringLady

• View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: June 20, 2018, 10:42:47 am »
    My favourite book is always the most recent. I'd like to think it's because it's the best because I'm slowly getting better, but probably it's only because it's the one I'm fully immersed in. The earlier ones drift away from you rather, like balloons. Although I confess that (as someone else said upthread), when I have to look stuff up in an older book, I invariably end up rereading quite a chunk.

Offline levz

• View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: June 20, 2018, 12:18:33 pm »
    The teenagers who read it seem to feel compelled to write and tell me how in love they are with Nick (hero) several times a week!

That's really cool.  :)

Offline Jonathan C. Gillespie

• Atlanta, GA
    • Relentlessly Patient
      • View Profile
      • Fiction For Every Reader
    « Reply #30 on: June 20, 2018, 12:22:04 pm »
    "The Outlaw Contractions", a humble short story of mine, is my favorite work I've ever written. It tackles a controversial subject in a matter I thought was sufficiently multi-layered, and from multiple viewpoints, and does it all with decent world-building, to boot. I still think it's the bravest thing I ever wrote and I think it challenges the hell out of anyone who reads it. I try to be humble, but I'm legitimately proud of it.

I write worlds on paper, then destroy them.
    Jonathan C. Gillespie | Official Site | Twitter | facebook | Newsletter

Offline SomeoneElse

• New Zealand
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: June 20, 2018, 01:03:43 pm »
    I Am Not Innocence - Book 4 in my series, is my favourite. It started life as a short story about my antagonist... and became a whole novel about her. I think of it as a love letter to the whole series, with my antagonist offering a new perspective on things.

My next release, called 'The Reaper's Heart' is probably my most fun book - it's a bit more lighthearted than what I usually write... But I still don't think it wins.
    I do not consent to the new TOS (2018), which were implemented without notification. Any future use of these forums is not me giving consent, implied or otherwise.

Offline Greg Dragon

• Synth City, FL (USA)
      • View Profile
      • Greg Dragon, Author
    « Reply #32 on: June 20, 2018, 01:50:13 pm »
    Talking about first books. I thought my first book was a masterpiece at the time, and just like a firstborn it gave me a great sense of pride. However, it wasn't a masterpiece and so I unpublished it eventually, which hurt like hell.

Right there with you, except I rewrote it from scratch and republished it.
    Proud Spacenoid. Google my name if you're so curious.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
      • Declan Conner, Blog
    « Reply #33 on: June 20, 2018, 02:00:30 pm »
    Right there with you, except I rewrote it from scratch and republished it.

I've though about doing that, but I haven't had the time. Great that you managed to do that.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
    Declan Conner | blog

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
    • May the schwartz be with you.
      • View Profile
      • My Amazon Page
    « Reply #34 on: June 20, 2018, 03:02:57 pm »
    Time Burrito, it's about a guy traveling through time looking for perfect breakfast burrito. I also managed to incorporate the cat into the story that's on the cover. That was so much fun to write.

Aaron Frale | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Offline Shelley K

• Does things wrong.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: June 20, 2018, 03:40:25 pm »
    I never agreed to VerticalScope's rights-grabbing TOS.
    « Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 10:06:10 am by Shelley K »

Offline Kessie Carroll

• View Profile
      • K.M. Carroll's Blog
    « Reply #36 on: June 20, 2018, 08:51:57 pm »
    My favorite book is my third werewolf novella, Outfoxing the Wolf. I loved the idea of a mentally ill girl in a city of werewolves who has been bitten, yet never turned. So when she gets mixed up with the prince, who is trying to cure werewolves, he tries his cure on her, and her mental illness flips inside out and she becomes a werefox. It was kind of a healing story, and absolutely delightful to write. Nobody ever reads that trilogy because it's not raunchy, but all three books are near and dear to my heart.
    K.M. Carroll | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline tansaidwhat

• Chicago, IL
    • Move so fast you create your own wind
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: June 21, 2018, 11:56:21 am »
    I think my first novel will always be my favorite. I've been writing for most of my life, but this book changed me in ways that I never thought writing could.
    I am a writer that creates stories and characters for black girls and women who never got to see themselves as the protagonist. I write for those of us who have skin too dark, hair too nappy, our bodies too sexualized and scrutinized, and our brains not stimulated enough.
    Tanzania Glover | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Blog | Tumblr | Amazon Author Page

Offline MissingAlaska

• View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: June 21, 2018, 12:38:00 pm »
    I do -- and it's written under a penname, so it shall go unnamed.

Offline ZanaHart

• View Profile
      • Zana Hart: Memoirs and Cozy Mysteries
    « Reply #39 on: June 21, 2018, 12:46:27 pm »
    My favorite book so far is the second cozy mystery in my trilogy, Bad Weather, Bad Man. I really like the homeless character's comments about the world.

ZanaHart

Offline Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
    • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
      • View Profile
      • Victoria LK Williams
    « Reply #40 on: June 21, 2018, 04:28:58 pm »
    The first book in my Sister Station Series! I wrote it as a tribute to my father who had recently passed away. Memories of living in upstate NY and going to the railroad yard where my dad, grandfather and a couple of uncles all worked were awoken as I wrote this story. I made me wish I had asked more questions about his work. My mother got pretty choked up reading it, even if it was a fictional story and nothing to do with the life of a railroad man.
    Victoria LK Williams | Victoria LK Williams

Offline Joseph M. Erhardt

• U.S.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #41 on: June 21, 2018, 07:06:12 pm »
    I have two favorites:  Tales from the Red Caboose and one other I can't yet talk about, as it's going through a trad publishing process (keeping fingers crossed).

I like Tales because it's basically a play in five acts, and the acts balance off each other.  It's only 30,000 words and I wanted to add two more acts to make it 40k, but I could never fit anything in without it looking like it was shoehorned into the prose, so I left it at five acts.  Also, it mixes SF, fantasy, humor and mystery in a way that appeals to me.  Of the listed reviews, the only one who didn't give it 5 stars was BigAl himself (only 4, pfffttt!!!).

The other book I like is a detective novel written in the style of a departed member of my writer's group (with permission of his widow, who is also a writer and who contributed a chapter and much advice).  I'll let you folks know if this publishing deal ever takes off.  :)

Joseph M. Erhardt

Online jb1111

• PNW US
      • View Profile
    « Reply #42 on: June 21, 2018, 08:07:08 pm »
    I won't name them here, because they are erotica and I don't want anyone here peering inside the dirtier recesses of my mind.

But the holiday books are the favorites. They have a bit more heart to them than the others, perhaps, and were more fun to write.

They're the only ones of mine that I've read after they were published.

Offline Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #43 on: June 22, 2018, 08:22:31 am »
    I'm a sucker for animal stories, so I downloaded and read "Smug Slug." I loved it. :) The purple slug on the cover is definitely rocking the smug vibe.

Aw, thank you!  :D

Offline Eskimo

• Anchorage, Alaska
    • Eskimo
      • View Profile
    « Reply #44 on: June 22, 2018, 12:18:31 pm »
    My favorite is CURSE OF THE AFFLICTED which details the journey of a patient diagnosed with terminal cancer, just as he reaches the height of his career. it's the most personal of my books, and i think it's the best writting I've ever done. Not surprisingly, it has sold the fewest copies...

Vijaya

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2018, 06:06:17 pm »
    Great thread. I most definitely have favorites. Usually it's the one most recently published or about to be, but I'm still really partial to one of the first books I wrote over 10 yrs ago called SOFT TO THE TOUCH. I was asked to write a book about textures for kids learning to read, so I turned it into a cat book--they do have many textures! And I'll probably become a crazy cat lady in my old age.

Offline Goulburn

• View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: June 22, 2018, 08:59:01 pm »
    All of them.  Seriously, they're like my kids! LOL  How do you choose? :)

That sums it up for me.

I gave up, temporarily, another successful creative career that I loved with a passion, for the eight years it took to write the seven The Stolen Years novels, and a book of my short stories. I'd carried these oral history stories in my head for fifty-years, wanting to write them into fiction, until they had developed to where they had to be born. Then each writing process was as long as a pregnancy, and that was only the start of the nurturing process. Each book went through multiple self edits and two or more paid editors, to ensure my Australian words would be understood in context, (station not ranch for example) in other English speaking countries. That effort and cost wasn't something I would have done if I'd not loved the stories that I've written in this pen name.

I also had to master severe dyslexia and an emotional hang-up that I'm the sister of a brilliant professional writer and my writing would be judged within the family against her brilliance. That terrified me.  I had to love my stories with a passion to overcome that last emotional block. I'm so pleased I did.
    « Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 10:06:14 pm by Ryn Shell »
    I do not consent to the Sept 2018 TOS change that was made without asking my consent or even offering notification.  If VerticalScope republishes content I own I will sue them for breach of copyright.

Offline Just Another Vampire Writer

• View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: June 22, 2018, 09:19:09 pm »
    Like my first actual child, the first book I published tore me up and left me changed. Also, like with my first child, there were a lot of things that I didn't know exactly how to handle as it was my first time around. Still, after working with it as I grew the series (even gave it a rewrite last year) it turned out all right in the end. The other books that came after it were an easier go as that first one taught me an awful lot. Even now, I read it with regularity. That whole thing about writing the book you'd love to read was something I went for. I'd say it's my favorite. Now, if it would just get a job and move out someday... wait, no, that's the actual kid. I tease, of course. She has a job, a pretty good one, but I'm still waiting to get her room to turn it into my writing office.

Offline ZanaHart

• View Profile
      • Zana Hart: Memoirs and Cozy Mysteries
    « Reply #48 on: June 23, 2018, 05:26:42 am »
    My favorite is CURSE OF THE AFFLICTED which details the journey of a patient diagnosed with terminal cancer, just as he reaches the height of his career. it's the most personal of my books, and i think it's the best writting I've ever done. Not surprisingly, it has sold the fewest copies...

I clicked through on it and read what I could see with "Look Inside..." Then I went back to what I had to do that day. Once all the essentials were done, I got the Kindle and devoured it. I rarely read thrillers but I really enjoyed it!

ZanaHart

Offline Eskimo

• Anchorage, Alaska
    • Eskimo
      • View Profile
    « Reply #49 on: June 23, 2018, 06:22:11 am »
    I clicked through on it and read what I could see with "Look Inside..." Then I went back to what I had to do that day. Once all the essentials were done, I got the Kindle and devoured it. I rarely read thrillers but I really enjoyed it!

Thank you Zana!

KBoards.com

• Advertisement