Author Topic: Apple Watch  (Read 3778 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Terra firma
    • View Profile
Apple Watch
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:52:45 pm »

I got tipped over the edge two weeks ago when I watched the Apple iOS announcements at WWDC, and bought an Apple Watch. I have been thinking about it for the last year or so, but never found the killer app. The announcements of the improvements to Siri in iOS 12 convinced me.

Other than for future Siri, I finally caved and bought one basically for two reasons: 1) it was something I could wear all the time and call for help if I needed it (I am in my mid-70s and live alone), and 2) as a health monitor.

In regards the the health monitoring functions, I read the Apple User Guide section on the Activity function twice and still didnt quite understand some of the details of how that feature worked. It took about a week and a half to finally get it figured out. I am still a bit puzzled by the fact that I can do a casual Outdoor or Indoor Walking Workout, and it does not count as Exercise (but shows up as a workout). I surmise that the difference is triggered by the heart rate monitor at some point: too low a heart rate and it's not a workout (sounds reasonable when I think about it). I use both a stationary bicycle and a treadmill for my indoor exercises.

I have already seen some benefit in having it remind me of daily goals It seems to be helping me get around a bit better with my dodgy knees after only a week and a half.

The screen is a bit small for reading books, however.  ;D

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Card-carrying melodrama villain
      • View Profile
      • All about me....<hee hee>
    Re: Apple Watch
    « Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:33:42 pm »
    Enjoy! Ive just never been able to tolerate a watch, so this is a product I wont be getting, but Im still curious about it.
    "Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:51:01 pm »
     Its pretty useful. I can make and receive phone calls if I am within 80 or 100 feet of my iPhone. I didnt get the cellular model watch because my provider doesnt support it.  A surprising number of iPhone apps offer a watch complication,  which is a small watch app that provides a link with the same app on the iPhone. Such as a Nest thermostat app, one that talks to my alarm system, the weather app I use, my email app, etc.  I can set it to mirror my phone notifications also, as well as using it as a remote camera shutter.

I havent worn a watch for 16 years, but found I got back into the habit with no problem. Its more comfortable than the watches I used to wear. I dont wear it while Im sleeping though, I put it on the charger. The charge seems like it will last two full days.

Also, its less expensive over a year of operation then one of those alarm devices you hang around your neck.
    « Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:21:27 am by Ann in Arlington »

Offline RobertLCollins

• Kansas
      • View Profile
      • One Kansas Author - Blog
    « Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 07:07:34 am »
    If you haven't already, poke around iMore and see if there are other ways to get more out of your Apple Watch: http://www.imore.com

Hope it continues to work out well for you!

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 03:34:21 pm »
    If you haven't already, poke around iMore and see if there are other ways to get more out of your Apple Watch: http://www.imore.com

Hope it continues to work out well for you!

One of my favorite sites to visit! I also listen to their podcasts.

Offline talleylynn

• Illinois
    • member 3486
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 10:21:01 pm »
    Here is a link to another board. Someone there has kept an up-to-date list of things you can do with the apple watch.
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-watch-all-the-little-things-watchos-4-3-beta.1877547/

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 01:49:14 pm »

Ive thought it very strange that Apple chose the term complications for apps on the Apple Watch. As it turns out, they did not invent this term.

It comes from ancient times when watches and clocks had gears in them and if you wanted to add any features to a watch or clock, it made it more complicated gear-wise, hence the term: complications. Adding complications, get it?

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 10:24:28 am »
    I have an Apple Watch 2 but I am really coveting the new Apple Watch 4 with its health related features.  As someone who lives alone and has fallen several times (clumsy and lack of balance) in the past year, the ability of the watch to detect if the wearer has experienced a fall and summon help is a fantastic feature.  It will even automatically summon help if the person is immobile (unconscious) for a set period of time.  I don't have any heart problems but the EKG capability is also impressive.

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 07:48:39 pm »
     Yeah, Im thinking about upgrading in the spring instead of waiting two years. As one who lives alone, the fall detection might be worth the price of admission, and the EKG feature sounds interesting.

Offline geezergas

• View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 09:40:04 am »
    Watch is set up for EKG, won't be active for a couple more months.

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 07:31:25 am »
    Yes, I know. But by the time that I am ready to upgrade it will be an old feature.  :)

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 09:53:23 am »
    Seriously think of the Apple Watch 4. I have not had an Apple Watch before, and am a bit tired of my not being to read my Fitbit when outside in the sun. Is reading the Apple Watch in the sun an issue? I like the new watch for the Fall feature, even though I have never fallen. I am also a bit put off by the size of the new watch, an increase from the Apple Watch 3. The 38mm previous size was a stretch for my small wrist, and now I would have to adjust to a slightly larger size. Thoughts?
    Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 08:45:13 pm »
     I am in Central Texas where the sunlight tends to be very bright, and when I take my after-lunch walks around various parks in the area I never have any problems reading my Apple Watch Series 3. I was concerned about the size of a watch also as I have thin wrists for a guy my size. I tried the Series 3 ones on and bought the 42mm version. If I upgrade I dont know which one I will buy, Ill have to try them on.  I think that the only real advantage that the larger sizes have is a longer time between battery charges, but I currently get two full days on my Series 3.

And naturally you have to have an iPhone for the watch to work, even if you get the cell phone version.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 09:07:46 pm »
    I have an original Watch, and haven't had any problems reading the screen.

I did just read a news article today that warned the EKG gives false readings.  I was interested in it, but I wouldn't get it just for the EKG readings.  I do have a heart rate monitor set up on my watch, and find it useful.

I have the 38mm original and would get the smaller of the Series 4 if I replace the watch.

Love, love, love my Apple Watch for far more than I thought I would.  Check emails on it, texts, news alerts, start and stop my audiobooks, manage my weight training with the Strong app.

Betsy
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 10:23:22 pm »
     Yeah, I would not upgrade just for the EKG feature. It wont be known for quite a while how useful it is. If I upgrade, the primary reason will be the enhanced fall detection ability.

I like and use my watch a lot more of that I had anticipated. If I have to choose between upgrading my iPhone and the watch the watch will win.
    « Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 04:56:37 am by Mike D. aka jmiked »

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 08:49:35 am »
    I have an original Watch, and haven't had any problems reading the screen.

I did just read a news article today that warned the EKG gives false readings.  I was interested in it, but I wouldn't get it just for the EKG readings.  I do have a heart rate monitor set up on my watch, and find it useful.

I have the 38mm original and would get the smaller of the Series 4 if I replace the watch.

Love, love, love my Apple Watch for far more than I thought I would.  Check emails on it, texts, news alerts, start and stop my audiobooks, manage my weight training with the Strong app.

Betsy

You can load your audiobooks on the Apple Watch 3?

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 08:55:55 am »
    Yeah, I would not upgrade just for the EKG feature. It wont be known for quite a while how useful it is. If I upgrade, the primary reason will be the enhanced fall detection ability.

I like and use my watch a lot more of that I had anticipated. If I have to choose between upgrading my iPhone and the watch the watch will win.

I would not buy the 4 for the EKG feature, which I have read is unreliable. The feature that pushes me over to the 4 rather than the 3 is the Fall feature, though falling is not an issue for me, fortunately. Maybe I would just be fine with the 3, especially since it is cheaper.

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 01:49:04 pm »
    I would not buy the 4 for the EKG feature, which I have read is unreliable.

Since the feature isnt released yet, I dont think we really know whether it is reliable or not.  My guess is that it will take several iterations before it might become useful. Even the units in hospitals give false positives.

The heart rate monitor or my Series 3 has several times shown a spike up to around 160 BPM, amidst a normal 110 to 120 for my normal exercise readings.  But it otherwise seems to track pretty well with my chest strap HRM.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 03:56:35 pm »

Since the feature isnt released yet, I dont think we really know whether it is reliable or not.  My guess is that it will take several iterations before it might become useful. Even the units in hospitals give false positives.

The heart rate monitor or my Series 3 has several times shown a spike up to around 160 BPM, amidst a normal 110 to 120 for my normal exercise readings.  But it otherwise seems to track pretty well with my chest strap HRM.

Thanks, Mike. I should have said I don't think I will buy the Apple 4 JUST for the EKG factor. I am still considering the 4, but thinking the 3 might be all I "need", and like the fact that the 3 has a smaller face. I have very small wrists.

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
    • Alexandria, VA
    • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey.
      • View Profile
      • Betsy True Designs
    « Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 04:51:22 pm »

Yeah, right now everything about the EKG is speculative.  Here's the article I saw:
    https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/277437-cardiologist-questions-accuracy-of-ecg-function-in-apple-watch-4

I don't know what's possible on the Apple Watch 3--I have an original watch.  What I was saying, I can use my watch to pause and stop the audiobooks I'm listening to on my iPhone.  Handy when I'm walking, working out or in the car--I don't have to dig out the phone from my purse or pocket or where it has fallen to pause and restart the audiobook, I just lift my wrist and hit the pause button, which is auto-displayed if the audiobook is active on the iPhone.
    Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
    Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX    KB Member #72
    Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 06:14:09 pm »

You can load music on the Series 3, and podcasts with the OS update, but there is no Audible watch app (complication) yet.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:59:06 pm by Mike D. aka jmiked »

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 06:46:16 pm »
    You guys are good enablers. I just ordered the Apple 3 38mm from Best Buy. I will pick it up tomorrow. I have been watching them for a few days, and have noticed that many of the colors are now sold out. I wanted the pink, which was available yesterday, but not today. I got the space gray case. Maybe with I go pick it up tomorrow they will be able to find me a pink.

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 12:20:46 pm »
     Remember that the User Guide is available in the iBooks app on your iPhone/iPad.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
      • View Profile
    « Reply #23 on: October 13, 2018, 04:09:04 pm »
    Remember that the User Guide is available in the iBooks app on your iPhone/iPad.

Thanks, Mike. I have been studying the User Guide. I picked up the watch this morning, and it has been a steep learning curve today. When I discovered that the "complications" were already installed on the watch, it all became much easier. It is easy to read outside in bright daylight with my sunglasses on. The response time for the clock face to show up when I raise my wrist is much faster than with the Fitbit. The watch seems to have come fully charged. I have figured out how to watch my steps as I walk, though I have not taken a long walk today. I have chosen a pretty traditional analog clock face, but like the ease of changing to other faces. So far it is pretty much a novelty. I have much to learn. Now if it would just cook dinner tonight!

• Terra firma
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: October 13, 2018, 10:22:10 pm »

I use an analog watch face myself, the one called Utility. I have two or three others that are used regularly also.

I was very pleased with how long the battery charge lasts (on the 42mm one).  I can get from one morning until I go to sleep the night of the next day (about 36 hours) and still have 20-25% charge. I generally wear the watch while sleeping every other night just so it will give me information on my sleep patterns. To prevent it from turning the display on every time I move and waking me up, I put it in Theater Mode. It took an embarrassingly long time to figure out I could do that.

I have also found that setting the watch up so that the crown is on the left-hand side of the watch not only makes it easier for me to use, but then I have the microphone on the right-hand side of the watch which gives me a better results with Siri (I wear my watch on my left hand most of the time).

If you are going to use the Fitness features of the watch, be aware that the exercise ring is very misleading, at least it is to me. Apple makes a distinct differentiation between Exercise and Workouts. I have found that I can do sessions on my exercise bike, my treadmill, and brisk walks around the local parks, and they show up as workouts but never get counted as exercise. Apple isnt very forthcoming about how the exercise ring is calculated. Best guess is that its heavily oriented towards cardiac activity. If I walk really fast on the treadmill or pedal faster than normal on the exercise bike for a bit, then I do get some credit for that in the exercise ring.  So I pretty much ignore it.

One hint that might help on the HRM accuracy is to pull the strap a bit tighter when you are exercising, for a better contact with your wrist. I have found no difference of the readings between wearing it on the outer or inner sides of my wrist. I alternate between the two ways depending on how I feel when I get up in the morning.
    « Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 10:44:45 am by Mike D. aka jmiked »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement