KB Featured
The Sun God's Heir: Return (Book One)
by Elliott Baker

Kindle Edition published 2017-01-02
Bestseller ranking:

Product Description
For three thousand years a hatred burns. In seventeenth century Bordeaux two souls incarnate, one born the child of a prosperous merchant, the other, steals a life determined to continue a brutal incarnation begun long ago.

Under the guidance of Pharaoh, two brothers grew strong in knowledge and power, one a physician, the other a general. With the pharaoh’s untimely death, a deep hatred blossoms. One remembers, one does not.

The year is 1671. René Gilbert’s destiny glints from the blade of a slashing rapier. To protect those he loves he must regain the power and knowledge earned in an ancient lifetime. From Bordeaux to Spain to Morocco, René is tested and with each turn of fate he gathers enemies and allies as the memory and power of a lifetime as physician to Pharaoh returns.

Determined to continue a reign of terror that once caused the Nile to run red, Horemheb takes over the life of a young man mortally wo…

Author Topic: Apple Watch  (Read 977 times)  

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
Apple Watch
« on: June 20, 2018, 01:52:45 PM »

I got tipped over the edge two weeks ago when I watched the Apple iOS announcements at WWDC, and bought an Apple Watch. I have been thinking about it for the last year or so, but never found the killer app. The announcements of the improvements to Siri in iOS 12 convinced me.

Other than for future Siri, I finally caved and bought one basically for two reasons: 1) it was something I could wear all the time and call for help if I needed it (I am in my mid-70s and live alone), and 2) as a health monitor.

In regards the the health monitoring functions, I read the Apple User Guide section on the Activity function twice and still didnt quite understand some of the details of how that feature worked. It took about a week and a half to finally get it figured out. I am still a bit puzzled by the fact that I can do a casual Outdoor or Indoor Walking Workout, and it does not count as Exercise (but shows up as a workout). I surmise that the difference is triggered by the heart rate monitor at some point: too low a heart rate and it's not a workout (sounds reasonable when I think about it). I use both a stationary bicycle and a treadmill for my indoor exercises.

I have already seen some benefit in having it remind me of daily goals It seems to be helping me get around a bit better with my dodgy knees after only a week and a half.

The screen is a bit small for reading books, however.  ;D

What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline The Hooded Claw

• Oklahoma
  • Card-carrying melodrama villain
    • View Profile
    • All about me....<hee hee>
Re: Apple Watch
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 09:33:42 PM »
Enjoy! Ive just never been able to tolerate a watch, so this is a product I wont be getting, but Im still curious about it.

(Make your own reading bar)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."  - Albert Einstein

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 10:51:01 PM »
 Its pretty useful. I can make and receive phone calls if I am within 80 or 100 feet of my iPhone. I didnt get the cellular model watch because my provider doesnt support it.  A surprising number of iPhone apps offer a watch complication,  which is a small watch app that provides a link with the same app on the iPhone. Such as a Nest thermostat app, one that talks to my alarm system, the weather app I use, my email app, etc.  I can set it to mirror my phone notifications also, as well as using it as a remote camera shutter.

I havent worn a watch for 16 years, but found I got back into the habit with no problem. Its more comfortable than the watches I used to wear. I dont wear it while Im sleeping though, I put it on the charger. The charge seems like it will last two full days.

Also, its less expensive over a year of operation then one of those alarm devices you hang around your neck.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:21:27 AM by Ann in Arlington »

Offline RobertLCollins

• Kansas
    • View Profile
    • One Kansas Author - Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 07:07:34 AM »
If you haven't already, poke around iMore and see if there are other ways to get more out of your Apple Watch: http://www.imore.com

Hope it continues to work out well for you!

• Central Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2018, 03:34:21 PM »
If you haven't already, poke around iMore and see if there are other ways to get more out of your Apple Watch: http://www.imore.com

Hope it continues to work out well for you!

One of my favorite sites to visit! I also listen to their podcasts.

Offline talleylynn

• Illinois
  • member 3486
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 10:21:01 PM »
Here is a link to another board. Someone there has kept an up-to-date list of things you can do with the apple watch.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-watch-all-the-little-things-watchos-4-3-beta.1877547/