Author Topic: Pages viewed in Page Flip mode do not count toward pages read - KDP  (Read 9566 times)  

Offline Aaronhodges

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Hodges
Re: Pages viewed in Page Flip mode do not count toward pages read - KDP
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2018, 11:50:46 am »
They admitted this long ago, now someone just needs ot get around to putting together the class action suit...

I sent the email below and received the following reply.

Dear KDP.
Please read this carefully before sending a canned reply.
A reader on Amazon.com, using a Kindle Fire HD (approx. one year old) downloaded a copy of my book Something to Read on the Plane through the KU programme on 19th June. She read the front matter  of 4 pages  in regular mode and then immediately changed to page flip mode to read a further 25 pages. The 4 pages have been credited to my account, but 72 hours later there is no sign of the other 25 pages even though all the pages were read at the same time with the device switched on.
Why werent the pages read in page flip mode credited to my account? I am concerned that I am losing credits if readers are using page flip
Thank you.

Hello,

I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced.

Upon careful research, I can see that for your book "Something to Read on the Plane" has the follow KENPC page reads starting from June 19.

June 19 (Amazon.com) -4 page reads
June 20(Amazon.co.uk)-11 page reads
June 21(Amazon.co.uk)-91 page reads

I am sorry to inform that the pages viewed in Page Flip mode do not count toward pages read.

We do not see any material amount of reading happening within this feature, but we will continue to monitor it closely. As intended, were seeing that customers use Page Flip to explore and navigate in books while automatically saving their place.

I appreciate your understanding on this regards.

Thanks for using Amazon KDP.

So, now we have a definitive answer to lost page reads.  ::)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Nope

• I can't even...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: June 30, 2018, 02:06:16 pm »
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:11:25 pm by Nope »

Offline Nope

• I can't even...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: June 30, 2018, 05:44:23 pm »
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:11:12 pm by Nope »

Offline 39416

• View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: July 01, 2018, 04:49:33 am »
    They admitted this long ago, now someone just needs ot get around to putting together the class action suit...

First, class actions are barred under the KDP contract. Second, you are not allowed to go to court, only arbitration.

"To begin an arbitration proceeding, you must send a letter requesting arbitration and describing your claim to our registered agent Corporation Service Company, 300 Deschutes Way SW, Suite 304, Tumwater, WA 98051, USA. The arbitration will be conducted by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) under its rules, including the AAAs Supplementary Procedures for Consumer-Related Disputes. The AAAs rules are available at www.adr.org or by calling 1-800-778-7879 (in the United States). Payment of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees will be governed by the AAAs rules. We will reimburse those fees for claims totaling less than $10,000 unless the arbitrator determines the claims are frivolous.... You and we each agree that any dispute resolution proceedings will be conducted only on an individual basis and not in a class, consolidated or representative action."

I wish someone would take the plunge, file an arbitration claim. It should be someone, like Jan, who can say in her claim that she tested out the Page Flip thing and saw precisely how many pages she was cheated.

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: July 01, 2018, 05:21:53 am »
    I wish someone would take the plunge, file an arbitration claim. It should be someone, like Jan, who can say in her claim that she tested out the Page Flip thing and saw precisely how many pages she was cheated.

But a few cents worth of loss would be judged frivolous.

The thing is, it's impossible to prove a major loss, large enough to be taken seriously.

edited, PM if you have questions -- Ann
    « Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:32:02 am by Ann in Arlington »
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here.

*** Warning: If you are reading this post more than 6 months after it was posted, the information in it is out of date, and useless to you. The eBook market changes rapidly, and advice more than 6 months old is out of date. Use at your own risk! ***

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
    • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
      • View Profile
      • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
    « Reply #105 on: July 01, 2018, 06:21:22 am »
    First, class actions are barred under the KDP contract. Second, you are not allowed to go to court, only arbitration.

"To begin an arbitration proceeding, you must send a letter requesting arbitration and describing your claim to our registered agent Corporation Service Company, 300 Deschutes Way SW, Suite 304, Tumwater, WA 98051, USA. The arbitration will be conducted by the American Arbitration Association (AAA) under its rules, including the AAAs Supplementary Procedures for Consumer-Related Disputes. The AAAs rules are available at www.adr.org or by calling 1-800-778-7879 (in the United States). Payment of all filing, administration and arbitrator fees will be governed by the AAAs rules. We will reimburse those fees for claims totaling less than $10,000 unless the arbitrator determines the claims are frivolous.... You and we each agree that any dispute resolution proceedings will be conducted only on an individual basis and not in a class, consolidated or representative action."

I'm in South Africa. I doubt if it would apply to someone outside the US. It would be easy for someone else in the US to test it. You just need a book that's had no page reads or borrows. I've sometimes had borrows, but no corresponding page reads, but readers can borrow and not read until months later. It just needs someone to test it.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
    Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline AltMe

• WriterSanctum
    • Off the VS rocker.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #106 on: July 01, 2018, 07:12:53 am »
    I'm in South Africa. I doubt if it would apply to someone outside the US. It would be easy for someone else in the US to test it. You just need a book that's had no page reads or borrows. I've sometimes had borrows, but no corresponding page reads, but readers can borrow and not read until months later. It just needs someone to test it.

Its been tested umpteen times. Testing it achieves nothing. Proving pennies achieves nothing.

You need to be able to prove 2 things:

• A large percentage of people use only page flip to read. Disproving what Amazon claim.
    • That this constitutes a large enough dollar amount to be worth going to arbitration over.

The first requires a survey in the hundreds of thousands, and a number who read in flip in the tens of thousands.

The second requires a figure of how many pages have been read using flip, but not counted.

Neither is possible. The first because getting that big a survey base will cost significant money to organize, and the second because at best, its going to be a guess, and no court or arbitration is going to accept a guess. And Amazon either dont have a figure, or wont provide one.

I still say getting Trump to tweet is easier.
    Gone to WriterSanctum.

I do not consent to the new TOS, and do not give my consent by posting and maintaining my membership here.

*** Warning: If you are reading this post more than 6 months after it was posted, the information in it is out of date, and useless to you. The eBook market changes rapidly, and advice more than 6 months old is out of date. Use at your own risk! ***

Offline Nope

• I can't even...
      • View Profile
    « Reply #107 on: July 01, 2018, 05:08:16 pm »
    « Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:10:54 pm by Nope »

KBoards.com

• Advertisement