Author Topic: What happened to the signature maker?  (Read 905 times)  

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
What happened to the signature maker?
« on: June 23, 2018, 05:23:47 AM »
What happened to the signature maker?
Its been truncated to 6 books, and no longer has any options.
Not happy! >:(

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
Re: What happened to the signature maker?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 08:02:15 AM »
Why was it changed?

Why does it have 3 options which are practically identical? Whats the point? May as well remove the other 2 and go with option 1.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 08:44:00 AM »
Why was it changed?

Why does it have 3 options which are practically identical? Whats the point? May as well remove the other 2 and go with option 1.

I'm looking into this, Timothy.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Vijaya

• Charleston, SC
  • JMJ. Write.
    • View Profile
    • Vijaya Bodach
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
Hello, I've been trying to use the author signature tool and although I see the preview and hit save, it won't.
I've added my book cover going into my author profile and using the linkmaker but it's not as nifty as the tool.
Please help. Thank you, V.

Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Offline chc

• Administrator
  • Remembering my good husband... Love you, Harv!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 08:24:12 AM »
Hey there, I had my tech guy check into this... can you check and see how its working now? Thanks!

Love Harv. Miss Harv.
Harvey Chute
Founder - KBoards.com
1962-2015

Offline Vijaya

• Charleston, SC
  • JMJ. Write.
    • View Profile
    • Vijaya Bodach
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 03:29:50 PM »
It worked! Thank you.

chc, on a personal note, I'm sorry about Harvey. I cannot even imagine your loss. Requiescat in pace.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:38:50 PM by Vijaya »

Author of over 60 books and 60 magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 05:40:47 PM »
Hey there, I had my tech guy check into this... can you check and see how its working now? Thanks!

I don't get it. Why break something that wasn't broken?

I wanted the old one back, not this truncated version.

Why the limitation of 6 books?

Offline chc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2018, 09:59:04 PM »
I'm forgetting how this all starte
It worked! Thank you.

chc, on a personal note, I'm sorry about Harvey. I cannot even imagine your loss. Requiescat in pace.

Thank you so much! He sure was a good one! :)

Glad sig maker is working for you...

Love Harv. Miss Harv.
Harvey Chute
Founder - KBoards.com
1962-2015

Offline chc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2018, 10:05:03 PM »
I don't get it. Why break something that wasn't broken?

I wanted the old one back, not this truncated version.

Why the limitation of 6 books?

Though I'm having trouble finding the original post, someone indicated things weren't working properly with the sig maker. So I had my tech guy look into it and I believe he said there were some issues with fitting everything that needed to be fixed... I don't remember what reason he gave for the limitation.

I will send him another note and see if he can't fix it so you can have unlimited books in sig. I'm not sure that will work, but I will try.

I'm sorry it's been an issue for you.

Fingers crossed!

Love Harv. Miss Harv.
Harvey Chute
Founder - KBoards.com
1962-2015

Offline chc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 10:16:07 PM »
This is the original thread that tipped us off that things needed work... https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,247862.0/all.html#lastPost and I believe somewhere in the process author sig was affected as well.

I'm having Doug look into it.

Have a good day!

Love Harv. Miss Harv.
Harvey Chute
Founder - KBoards.com
1962-2015

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2018, 10:43:03 PM »
Though I'm having trouble finding the original post, someone indicated things weren't working properly with the sig maker. So I had my tech guy look into it and I believe he said there were some issues with fitting everything that needed to be fixed... I don't remember what reason he gave for the limitation.

I will send him another note and see if he can't fix it so you can have unlimited books in sig. I'm not sure that will work, but I will try.

I'm sorry it's been an issue for you.

Fingers crossed!

I never saw any issue which needed to be fixed. The old version allowed 9. 10 would be better. Unlimited isn't practical, because then sigs would be bigger than posts. Has to be some limit, but 5 is not enough. Maybe 5 is what looks good on phones, but on wide screen monitors, 5 just leaves most of the line blank.

As far as I can see, the old version was removed, and a completely rewritten new version put in, which is a sad pathetic shadow of it's former self.

The whole point of the sig, is to have some easy way for readers to click a book they like the look of. Those of us with 20+, are never going to fit all of them. I try to put book 1 of each series, plus the last couple of books I put out. Plus filler with the best covers out of all of them.

A lot of us are now not changing our sigs at all, to retain what we had. Or manually changing them.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2018, 10:47:53 PM »
This is the original thread that tipped us off that things needed work... https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,247862.0/all.html#lastPost and I believe somewhere in the process author sig was affected as well.

I'm having Doug look into it.

Have a good day!

So it looks like whoever 'fixed' the reading bar, did it by completely destroying the writing bar. And didn't even know they were doing it.

Maybe the answer to have 2 tools, and people pick which one they want to use. Reading bar for readers, Writer bar for writers. Not 1 tool does both.

Offline chc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 12:02:32 PM »
So it looks like whoever 'fixed' the reading bar, did it by completely destroying the writing bar. And didn't even know they were doing it.

Maybe the answer to have 2 tools, and people pick which one they want to use. Reading bar for readers, Writer bar for writers. Not 1 tool does both.

A note from our tech help:

"To provide some technical background, the Reader and Author Signature Tools extract the book covers from Amazon when you click "Save" on the Signature Tool pages. When an Author has "too many" book covers, the server can timeout as it makes the multiple requests to Amazon for each image. The code combines all the images into a single JPG file so future page loads are as efficient as possible. So how many is "too many"? The timeout occurs differently at different times and from different locations. We reduced the number of book covers to 6 to help alleviate the issues, but can certainly increase it again. The second issue of books not showing up immediately in your "saved" signature is due to browser and site caching. The book cover JPG retains the same filename so while the server may have the newly create JPG of your newly selected book covers, the website will continue to display its 'cached version' of the image until the cache expires. Expiration times vary. Typically a "hard refresh" (ctrl-F5 on a PC) will force the new file to load. But some networks will choose to delay showing the new image for several hours."

Love Harv. Miss Harv.
Harvey Chute
Founder - KBoards.com
1962-2015

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
A note from our tech help:

"To provide some technical background, the Reader and Author Signature Tools extract the book covers from Amazon when you click "Save" on the Signature Tool pages. When an Author has "too many" book covers, the server can timeout as it makes the multiple requests to Amazon for each image. The code combines all the images into a single JPG file so future page loads are as efficient as possible. So how many is "too many"? The timeout occurs differently at different times and from different locations. We reduced the number of book covers to 6 to help alleviate the issues, but can certainly increase it again. The second issue of books not showing up immediately in your "saved" signature is due to browser and site caching. The book cover JPG retains the same filename so while the server may have the newly create JPG of your newly selected book covers, the website will continue to display its 'cached version' of the image until the cache expires. Expiration times vary. Typically a "hard refresh" (ctrl-F5 on a PC) will force the new file to load. But some networks will choose to delay showing the new image for several hours."

I've never seen either as a problem. Ever!

The only times I've had issues with loading times, it is ALWAYS google analytics, or some part of the ad system which has ground to a halt. Remove the ads, the board will load lightning fast.

Where was the problem happening? On phones with limited memory?

Offline chc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »

The only times I've had issues with loading times, it is ALWAYS google analytics, or some part of the ad system which has ground to a halt. Remove the ads, the board will load lightning fast.

Im not sure if it was phones or what...
he increased number to 20 yesterday or the day before

Love Harv. Miss Harv.
Harvey Chute
Founder - KBoards.com
1962-2015

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 05:23:42 PM »
Im not sure if it was phones or what...
he increased number to 20 yesterday or the day before

Thanks.

Edit: It's not working very well. I added 1 new one, and 5 of them were not found, including 2 series asin's. The asins are all current.

Resubmitting the existing signature, results in only 5 images. So it cant find the other 4.

Definitely a bug in it still.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 06:48:26 PM by TimothyEllis »

Offline chc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2018, 10:10:12 PM »
Thanks.

Edit: It's not working very well. I added 1 new one, and 5 of them were not found, including 2 series asin's. The asins are all current.

Resubmitting the existing signature, results in only 5 images. So it cant find the other 4.

Definitely a bug in it still.

Did you try a "hard refresh"?  (ctrl-F5 on a PC) Doug says that a "hard refresh will force the new file to load. But some networks will choose to delay showing the new image for several hours."

Love Harv. Miss Harv.
Harvey Chute
Founder - KBoards.com
1962-2015

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 05:33:40 AM »

Timothy: a LOT Of us non-authors were noticing issues repeatedly -- besides the thread Carrie referenced, there was side discussion via PMs and the report system. I had the problem my self on my desktop and my laptop, both pretty robust systems. Just because you didn't experience the problem doesn't mean it wasn't an issue for some of us.

It's perfectly reasonable to me that the two tools are closely related codewise -- Harvey initially built them both. AND, he did it several years ago when the board was much smaller -- so it's also not too surprising that, as the board has grown, there have been issues because of that. It's a bit rude of you to be attacking his widow for a problem that she has been working with the hired tech support to try to fix for everyone. And I'm sure she and he will continue to do so.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2018, 05:59:48 AM »
It's a bit rude of you to be attacking his widow

I have not done so. And it was never my intention to do so.

And for the record, I'm getting very sick of mods attributing tone to my words which is not there (Minor frustration tone). I'm no longer in 20books because they moderate based on their own perception of tone, and the place is a minefield where you never know when you're going to say something innocent, and get banned by a mod, without being told anything.

However, if that was how it was taken, I apologize.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2018, 09:34:51 AM »
I have not done so. And it was never my intention to do so.

I accept that you did not mean to do so. But it did feel that way as I read your posts after being off the boards all weekend. And I was hurt on Carrie's behalf.

And for the record, I'm getting very sick of mods attributing tone to my words which is not there (Minor frustration tone). I'm no longer in 20books because they moderate based on their own perception of tone, and the place is a minefield where you never know when you're going to say something innocent, and get banned by a mod, without being told anything.

I get the frustration. But information can still be communicated without the harshness. Perhaps if you'd said something like:

"Just curious. I noticed there have been some changes in the author signature tool? Does anyone have any information on that? I am curious as to why there were changes made."

Instead you kind of ranted with harsh words and complaints. At least . . . that's how it felt reading it.

However, if that was how it was taken, I apologize.

Accepted (sort of on Carrie's behalf; like I said, I was feeling protective. :))

I will note this further: when the readers started having issues, they reported them and changes were made. And some didn't like those changes -- but there was already a thread where it was under discussion so it was quickly addressed. It is unfortunate that changes were made to BOTH TOOLS without notice, and especially without an explanation after the fact for authors as to why the change. From the perspective of someone who'd not experienced issues, they just sort of found that it was all different when they went to make some routine change. Totally annoying, I agree.

As to the limit of books in the sig: it's 9 for authors because that way, with standard sized covers, the signature does not end up too large -- you'll recall there is a size limit. The READER page, lets you keep track of the last 20 books or so (that dropped briefly, and then was put back) but there are still not more than 10 in the reader bar signature (which uses slightly smaller images). For Authors, I understood it was designed that you could keep a larger number of books in the page, but only 9 could be used in the signature at the time. I think that aspect might have gotten broken because I saw a signature with a whole mess of books that shouldn't have been allowed if made with the tool.

Bottom line: the issue is still being worked. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR