Author Topic: Kindle Quick Reads - can they help boost novel sales?  (Read 493 times)  

Offline Nev

• View Profile
Kindle Quick Reads - can they help boost novel sales?
« on: July 05, 2018, 05:08:07 pm »
I'm zooming up on finishing a full-length sci-fi novel (105K words) that I expect to release in mid-November (in mid-August, I expect to start taking Kindle pre-orders for the new novel). At the same time, I've written a short story (approx. 15K words) that serves as a prequel to the new novel. I anticipate publishing the short story at the same time I kick-off pre-orders for the full-length novel. I grappling whether to offer the short story for free or charge for it ($0.99 or $1.49). As a long-time direct marketer, I prefer buyers versus triers, but I've not tried Kindle Quick Reads as a lead generator before, so I'm unsure of its effectiveness. Other important info: Both the novel and short story will be KU books. The intent behind marketing the short story is threefold: (1) it provides a backstory to the novel storyline that I didn't want to insert in the novel, and (2) I thought it might be a way to promote pre-orders of the new novel and (3) it provides me a chance to start building a following in the sci-fi community (I have three other books on KU and they generate a bit more than 40K page reads a day, but they are in the mystery/thriller/suspense genre. This will be my first foray into sci-fi). Thoughts? Suggestions? Opinions?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Luigi

• Long Beach Ca
      • View Profile
      • https://skygatetale.com/
    Re: Kindle Quick Reads - can they help boost novel sales?
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 06:22:36 pm »
    This is something I am planning to do also, but the problem I see is that the short story has to stand on its own and it has to be mighty good writing. I think that if people have to buy the full-length novel to enjoy the short story, they will low star you all the way.

However, I've read a few short stories that lead up to the main book that are pretty damn good.  :D

luigi robles | Website | Twitter

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
      • Diana Persaud
    « Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 06:34:33 pm »
    Maybe use it as a freebie to get subscribers to your mailing list?

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline Nev

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2018, 06:43:43 pm »
    This is something I am planning to do also, but the problem I see is that the short story has to stand on its own and it has to be mighty good writing. I think that if people have to buy the full-length novel to enjoy the short story, they will low star you all the way.

However, I've read a few short stories that lead up to the main book that are pretty damn good.  :D

Thanks, Luigi. Good feedback and your point is well taken. If the short story is just a tease, it'll cause reader frustration. I'm hoping I've written a stand-alone strong enough to encourage readers to investigate the full-length novel while still providing a satisfying read on its own accord.

Offline Nev

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 06:46:04 pm »
    Maybe use it as a freebie to get subscribers to your mailing list?

Thanks for your feedback, Diana. Have you tried a similar approach for one or more of your works? Did the freebie route prove successful for you?

KBoards.com

• Advertisement