Author Topic: ARCs and Netgalley  (Read 817 times)  

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
ARCs and Netgalley
« on: June 22, 2018, 12:23:38 pm »
I set up an advanced reader team around six months ago where I give out my free copies in return for honest reviews. I do this my emailing PDFs to readers, but I wondered how others do it, including how Netgalley works?

Thanks! R :)

KBoards.com

• Advertisement

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
    Re: ARCs and Netgalley
    « Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 03:54:29 pm »
    Just bumping this up  ;)

Offline John Etzil

• View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 06:10:29 am »
    I use https://bookfunnel.com. Works great for my needs.

I set up an advanced reader team around six months ago where I give out my free copies in return for honest reviews. I do this my emailing PDFs to readers, but I wondered how others do it, including how Netgalley works?

Thanks! R :)

John Etzil

Offline Redgum

• View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 05:26:12 pm »
    I use https://bookfunnel.com. Works great for my needs.

John and Mark - thank you both very much for your replies. I'll give instafreebie and bookfunnel a look.

Offline Nev

• View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 08:57:45 pm »
    Redgum: I used NetGalley for accumulating reviews for my debut novel two years ago, and then again last year for my second novel. I had two very different experiences. For the debut novel, I used NetGalley through AuthorBuzz. If you're going to try NetGalley, I'd strongly recommend going through AuthorBuzz. You'll get a critical mass of reviews...you'll also provide free copies of your book(s) to people who'll never write a review and you'll risk piracy (I experienced all three). But, on balance, the positives outweighed the negatives. When I tried NetGalley directly for my second book, I limited the freebie seekers and piracy bandits, but I severely limited the reviews I received. NetGalley without the AuthorBuzz email blitz is wasted money in my view. AuthorBuzz's NetGalley email blast isn't cheap, but you'll generate hundreds of reviews versus dozens of reviews if you go NetGalley by itself, IMHO.

That said, the most cost effective review generator I used in the launch of my debut novel was a web site called Choosy Bookworm. You'll only get 30-ish reviews from their premier package, but cost-wise, it's significantly less than NetGalley/AuthorBuzz. I ran into piracy/freebie seekers there, too, but I found the net benefit to my liking.

Food for thought.

KBoards.com

• Advertisement