Kadaxis LLC

Author Topic: Screen issue - Kindle Voyage  (Read 688 times)  

Offline trixiedog

• View Profile
Screen issue - Kindle Voyage
« on: July 07, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »
I have a Kindle Voyage....while reading the screen will turn brown and then go to sleep.  Has anyone else had this issue?   It is in an Oberon cover and has been very well taken care of.    It's very annoying trying to read as I have to keep moving the kindle to get it out of sleep mode.  It's crazy I have had all the kindles and never had one do this.  Maybe it's on its last leg, but I have never really ever had a Kindle die on me.  I always gave my old one to someone that could use one when I upgraded on my own.  And those all kept working.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 07:11:08 AM by trixiedog »

Offline Kathy Dee

• View Profile
Re: Screen issue
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 10:21:25 PM »
I have never really ever had a Kindle die on me.

Have never heard of that issue. But I did have one that died - also a paper white - and I had only used it a few times. Amazon did replace it free of charge though.

"The saddest thing in life is people with sight, but without vision." - Helen Keller

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2018, 05:15:32 AM »
They're set to go to sleep after a certain amount of time on the same page -- assumption is that it's not being 'read'. Usually it's about 10 minutes, which, in most cases, is a long time to be on a page. If it's significantly shorter than that, I'd say something's gone wrong with the timer. I don't think there's a way to change the 'screen time out' setting. :(

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline trixiedog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 07:03:05 AM »
They're set to go to sleep after a certain amount of time on the same page -- assumption is that it's not being 'read'. Usually it's about 10 minutes, which, in most cases, is a long time to be on a page. If it's significantly shorter than that, I'd say something's gone wrong with the timer. I don't think there's a way to change the 'screen time out' setting. :(

Well it's immediately most of the time, so I guess maybe it is close to dying.   I have never had one die before  :-(

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
Re: Screen issue - Kindle Voyage
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 06:34:06 PM »
The behavior suggests the magnetic sleep sensor is getting triggered (maybe the folded back cover is shifting around and triggering it). Try using it outside of the cover and see if it still happens.

If there is some ferromagnetic material nearby that can also cause magnetic field to fluctuate and trigger the sensor. I sometimes have it happen when I carry my Kindle and the case for my eyeglasses in the same hand.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 03:47:40 AM »
The behavior suggests the magnetic sleep sensor is getting triggered (maybe the folded back cover is shifting around and triggering it). Try using it outside of the cover and see if it still happens.

If there is some ferromagnetic material nearby that can also cause magnetic field to fluctuate and trigger the sensor. I sometimes have it happen when I carry my Kindle and the case for my eyeglasses in the same hand.

That's a good thought . . . . maybe it's your magnetic personality! ;D

Seriously, though . . I'd try it without the cover for a while as suggested and see if that helps.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline trixiedog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 10:58:31 PM »

Thank you so much!!!!!  You are so right,  thats it!  When I fold the cover back and hold it with my right hand it shuts it off.  It is so weird I’ve had my voyage since 2014 I think and just recently it started doing this. But if I don’t fold the cover back it’s ok.   You would think I could have figured this out :-). Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:00:30 PM by trixiedog »

Offline trixiedog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 11:03:37 PM »
That's a good thought . . . . maybe it's your magnetic personality! ;D

Seriously, though . . I'd try it without the cover for a while as suggested and see if that helps.

Thanks Ann!   That was what was wrong.  I never would have thought it would do that.   :-)

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 05:15:48 AM »
Probably the cover is NOT supposed to do that -- but maybe the magnet shifted in it or something? Who knows? If it really bothers you, you cold look for a different cover. I kinda prefer, in most cases, to read with the cover open like a paper book anyway. But I know many prefer the one handed method. If you're one of the latter, maybe use a finger to keep the cover from closing all the way against the back.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac